All reviewssangria nightgay villagetoilet paperenjoyed my staygreat cityvisiting montrealsubway stationdormlockdowntownlaundry
Reviewed June 10, 2018

This place is a mixed bag. It's cheap, but probably priced right given its unquestionably shabby condition. That's perhaps part of the charm, but it tiptoes very, very close to being a negative. That said, it's as clean as any building in such a state probably can be. The common area is immense, but also kind of shabby — pretty social though. The WiFi was unreliable while I was there. I was told I caught it at a bad time, but the other travelers I spoke to said it was typical. On arrival, a strange thing happened. I was standing at the entrance (which was locked) and the attendant at the front desk wouldn't let me inside. She was standing there chatting with a guest, looking over at me as I was tapping on the window and knocking on the door, but kept the most bizarre poker face. She was staring right at me, but not reacting at all even though I was gesturing that I couldn't get inside. Eventually someone else came into the building with the door code and I followed them in, but she was totally stone-faced and didn't acknowledge what she'd done. Overall, it's a fine place to stay I guess. The location is excellent and for a weekend the accommodation was serviceable. I wouldn't necessarily choose it, but I'd probably stay there again if I had to.

Room Tip: Higher floor, always get a private room as the bathroom is in the basement and not terribly nice.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank LostAndyFound
Luc P, Owner at Alexandrie Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Thanks Andrew for your review. This is true that we are not a chic place. We like to keep this as authentic as possible and we are proud to say that we are not an HOTEL. 100% of our focus is on the social life. You mentioned this in your review. Thanks again. I'm glad you noticed this even if you stayed just one night. I am sorry that you had to wait at the front door. I don't know what happened...no women staff was there this evrening. Is it possible that it was a guest? I will adress the subject with the staff anyways.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I liked the warm reception. Place was friendly and people take care about you. Avalaibility and comfort. Also the place was well located to montreal. Everything was not far away in this area. Explanation to join were given.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

Great hostel with familial atmosphere! It was very nice cooking together with people from all over the world. Alexandre did a awesome job as Mr. Nightlife. Beautiful and cozy vibe. The Hostel was always clean. I will come here again when I'm back in Montreal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Jasper K
Reviewed November 8, 2017

I spent one night here. The staff were great, giving me all sorts of good advice on places to see. The area was also cool, with a great brewpub nearby where you can enjoy good beer and people watch (if you're so inclined). The little suite with private rooms was great, too!

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed September 14, 2017

I highly recommend this hostel, the staff is super friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is fun and relaxed and the location is perfect; the main metro station is right by the corner and it's only a 15 minutes walk to the historic center.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel