All reviewssangria nightgay villagetoilet paperenjoyed my staygreat cityvisiting montrealsubway stationdormlockdowntownlaundry
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriend and I have stayed in Alexandrie for the past month and are unfortunately leaving today. We have had a brilliant time here, meeting lots of new people, going out to many places across Montreal with the help of the staff and enjoying the features of the hostel (bikes, air conditioned rooms, terrace, nights out, free laundry, the whole place is very clean). All of this for such an affordable price! The hostel is relatively simple, but I think the best places always are.

The staff have been fantastic during our time here too. We have become great friends with Alex (I think it's impossible not to be friends with him), the man who just never stops partying and having fun. He gives the hostel such a friendly and social vibe as he organises the nights out to local clubs and bars. Kader is the ever present man behind the desk ready to help you with anything you need and Luc is the manager who works tirelessly seemingly all the time to make sure the hostel is in the best condition it can be. There are so many others who make the hostel great too :)

The hostel is in a great place too. It's so close to shops, parks (Mont Royal is about 30-40 minutes walk away) and the metro.

We would definitely come back here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

I can't recommend this place enough.

The building itself if antiquated but this only adds to the charm. It's still clean and everything works well like the showers. The beds and linen were better than a lot of the hostels I've stayed at. However if you're looking for that clinical, hotel feel, maybe you should go elsewhere.

The vibe at the hostel is excellent. As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by friendly faces and within 5 minutes I was chatting to some groups of nice people. All the people in my dorm were really friendly and chatty. I met so many great people here, and not just the guests, the staff are also great! It's very easy to meet people here, I'd highly recommend this place for solo travellers.

The hostel organises things to do during the day and bars or clubs to go to at night.

The kitchen is well equipped, laundry is free, there are paintings and artwork everywhere, and there is plenty of space to hang out in the lobby, basement and the roof garden. They even have an N64 set up in the basement.

Highly recommended for easy going, fun loving, outgoing travellers. Less recommended for those who will miss the point and complain about their WiFi connection dropping or how the walls haven't been painted in 10 years.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2018

This place is a mixed bag. It's cheap, but probably priced right given its unquestionably shabby condition. That's perhaps part of the charm, but it tiptoes very, very close to being a negative. That said, it's as clean as any building in such a state probably can be. The common area is immense, but also kind of shabby — pretty social though. The WiFi was unreliable while I was there. I was told I caught it at a bad time, but the other travelers I spoke to said it was typical. On arrival, a strange thing happened. I was standing at the entrance (which was locked) and the attendant at the front desk wouldn't let me inside. She was standing there chatting with a guest, looking over at me as I was tapping on the window and knocking on the door, but kept the most bizarre poker face. She was staring right at me, but not reacting at all even though I was gesturing that I couldn't get inside. Eventually someone else came into the building with the door code and I followed them in, but she was totally stone-faced and didn't acknowledge what she'd done. Overall, it's a fine place to stay I guess. The location is excellent and for a weekend the accommodation was serviceable. I wouldn't necessarily choose it, but I'd probably stay there again if I had to.

Room Tip: Higher floor, always get a private room as the bathroom is in the basement and not terribly nice.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank LostAndyFound
Luc P, Owner at Alexandrie Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2018

Thanks Andrew for your review. This is true that we are not a chic place. We like to keep this as authentic as possible and we are proud to say that we are not an HOTEL. 100% of our focus is on the social life. You mentioned this in your review. Thanks again. I'm glad you noticed this even if you stayed just one night. I am sorry that you had to wait at the front door. I don't know what happened...no women staff was there this evrening. Is it possible that it was a guest? I will adress the subject with the staff anyways.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I liked the warm reception. Place was friendly and people take care about you. Avalaibility and comfort. Also the place was well located to montreal. Everything was not far away in this area. Explanation to join were given.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

Great hostel with familial atmosphere! It was very nice cooking together with people from all over the world. Alexandre did a awesome job as Mr. Nightlife. Beautiful and cozy vibe. The Hostel was always clean. I will come here again when I'm back in Montreal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo