“Horrendous experience! Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villa

Hotel Villa
Ranked #119 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Ireland
“Horrendous experience! Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel is in a dodgy area with adult stores and sexotheques around the place. There are loads of homeless people on the streets and it sounded like there was a riot on the street outside the first night we stayed there. There were sirens going through a good part of the night. I wore flipflops into the shower and the second night there was some unidentifiable brown substance in the sink in the shared bathroom. The room was freezing, the bed was uncomfortable and every floor in the hotel smells of pot. There have to be better places to stay when on a budget!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Hotel Villa in Montreal. I went with my boyfriend, and both being university students, we were on a very tight budget. I was a little nervous about bedbugs, the cleanliness, and the neighbourhood because of reviews that I read before going. However, the room was very clean, there were no bedbugs, and I had no problems with the neighbourhood. We got a standard room, which included a bathroom, which was very nice and clean. It came with towels and soap and whatnot. The only thing I was slightly disappointed in was that the hotel room description said there would be an iron, a hairdryer, a mini-fridge, etc. and it had none of those things. I think they were available upon request though. The breakfast cafe on the main floor of the hotel was delightful. The food was amazing, fast service, and inexpensive. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating to all of our needs. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is on a tight budget and doesn't mind an older room. I know I'll be back if I'm in the area again!

Room Tip: I recommend paying the extra 10 dollars and getting the standard room. From what I've read on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily S
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I was in Montreal for 9 days on business with a very tight budget and chose this hotel based solely on price, but I'll be back!

The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are nothing special but seriously, with such a low price you really shouldn't expect a high end room

My room had a comfortable bed, a TV, my own sink, and a dresser. Hooks on the wall were an added bonus as I laid out work clothes in advance on them. My window was huge enough that I spent most nights sitting in the window sill people watching and just enjoying the night.

We had a shared bathroom but there was never an issue with that. It was always clean and available (two per floor).

Yes, the neighbourhood is a bit sketchy, but I knew that in advance as I research cities that I stay in. I still, as a solo woman traveller, was comfortable coming back from the Metro (SO close!!) every night after dark and leaving before 7am for work.

Try the breakfast in the small kitchen area on the main floor - the people are amazing, the prices are good, and the food was a great start to the day.

I think the next time that I'm in Montreal, strict travel budget or not, I'll stay here again and save the money to enjoy the city with.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank borborhick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

The location is great, a lots of homeless people on the street but they are harmless... You can walk everywhere, the room was ok it was old but clean. The share bathroom was clean too but the door look broke the second night!! Again you get what you pay!

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank Angelitonyc
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Hi Shahram from Iran
I was in the Villa Hotel for nine nights from 10 to 19 Oct 2011. It was clean and everything was refurbished, new items include: floor covering, painting, curtains and matrixes. I was in a two double bed standard room in the second floor. The managers were friendly. The bath room inside was clean and spacious. The hotel location is excellent as it is in the saint Catherine Str., One of the most popular streets in Montreal.
If the room was equipped by a coffee maker it would be excellent. I recommend this economical hotel strongly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank shahram293999
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stayed here because of the location and the price. When I booked I was shocked at how cheap it was but when I arrived I could easily see why. I was also unaware that I had booked a "budget" room on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes to the 5th. As I walked up the dark and dreary staircase to the sixth floor I could only imagine what I would find. From the onset the slight smell of urine was in the air. Seeking solace in my room was to no avail as a wall of musty pot smell confronted me. I turned on the air conditioner (which I was surprised to see there) and let the room air out. I looked around the room to find 70's furniture and a lonely sink in the corner. Where was the bathroom?? Well, apparently on the 6th floor there is one bathroom and shower to be shared by all. That was not in the brochure!!! I am contemplating writing a screenplay about the horrors of unknown hotel surprises and call it "The Sixth Floor". Luckily I did not encounter any bed bugs but I did encounter the hacking guest in the next room and the beer beggar that was our neighbour. It isn't the hotel's fault that these people were there but they are probably more willing to put up with the shortcomings of the accommodation. Let's face it, noone who could afford to pay more would stay here but for those that can't it is still a roof over your head and somewhere to sleep. It is conveniently located near St Laurent and walking distance to Chinatown, Vieux Montreal, the Village and the Eaton Centre. All I can say is CAVEAT EMPTOR

Room Tip: Don't stay in a "budget" room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gradstud1
Winnie W, General Manager at Hotel Villa, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Thank you for your constructive review.

In order to reach a wider range of customers, Hotel Villa offers three different room categories: Budget, Standard and Superior. Although our Budget rooms more than meet the demands of our low-budget clientele, a lot of our satisfied customers choose to spend a little bit more to stay in one of our Standard or Superior rooms which are equipped with a private and newly-renovated bathroom, as opposed to our Budget accommodations which come with an in-room sink and shared bathroom in the hallway. Also, our Budget room floor is equipped with TWO bathrooms and not one as written in your review.

Furthermore, all of our Standard and Superior accommodations are usually booked weeks in advance, as was the case last summer. It is usually difficult to get a "good" room (Our Standard room) when you are walking into a hotel without a reservation (or even a last-minute booking on a busy week-end).

That said, we are currently in the midst of a renovation that will completely transform the top floor (on which most of our Budget rooms are located). We understand that it needs a little bit of redecorating at the moment which is why it is reserved mostly to accommodate last minute travelers/backpackers on a busy night or week-end (as was your case). We strongly recommend spending a little bit more for a Standard room next time as you will notice a difference not only in
the configuration but also in the amenities offered.

It should also be important to point out that our property has a strict non-smoking policy but, as is the case with most hotels, it is difficult to control what our guests do in their privacy. We nonetheless encourage guests to report smoking rooms (and noisy/harassing people) as soon as possible so that actions can be taken immediately. Additionally, our housekeepers are trained to high standards and any room that has been smoked in or mistreated by a previous occupant will be deeply cleaned and the carpet shampooed/steamed. We have also contracted a carpet cleaning company to thoroughly clean and maintain our carpet on a regular basis.

We are sorry that our hotel didn’t live up to your standards. Again, we encourage you to spend a few more dollars to stay in one of our Standard rooms if you ever decide to come back for a stay. Our convenient location (heart of downtown Montreal), great service and most of all, overall great value for money have made our property a hotel of choice for many travelers from all over the world. We are positive that you will have a different opinion of Hotel Villa the next time around and be part of our many satisfied and returning customers.

All the best.

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

A couple of friends and I decided to stay at a hotel that was conveniently right beside the metropolis. We had checked the bed before hand for bed bugs and found nothing until we came back later that night and came to find bed bugs all over the bed and curtains.

To our disgust, we left the hotel room immediately and went downstairs to issue a refund. (We here not even in the room for more than 2 hours overall). We went downstairs and had found that there were already two men complaining about the bed bug infestation in their hotel room on the 6th floor (we were on the 3rd). We went to the front desk and asked for a refund but the young man working at the counter could not apparently issue it at such a time so we were left stranded with no money and no hotel to stay at. Luckily we found one at the end of the evening that was only $10 dollars more and clean and safe.

hotel villa was disgusting and the only solution the front desk had was to give us a crappier room. I advise that no one stays here. (Location is terrible as well) When confronted about the infestation the man at the desk had said they have had many complaints and hotel managers use 'chemical pesticide' rather then getting an exterminator because they claim to not want to spend money.. the next day when we got our refund the other man claimed they called the exterminator within the hours of 4am and 10 am... not possible.. nothing was done.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank thatonegirlhh
Winnie W, General Manager at Hotel Villa, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
First we would like to express our most sincere apologies for what you had to endure during your stay at our property. We hope that it didn’t put a damper on your vacation in Montreal.

We can assure you that the problem was dealt with as soon as it was brought to our attention. After we were made aware of your complaint, we called an extermination company right away for a complete and full treatment of the room. Despite the problem being less serious than what the exterminator had seen in other places according to him, for preventive measures we went ahead and changed absolutely everything in the room; mattresses, boxsprings, carpet and furniture. We also eventually closed the room from new guests until further notice and implemented a vigorous daily follow up inspection/treatment. With that said, we are happy to report that things are looking very good. So good that we would certainly be happy to have you as a guest here again so you can see for yourself. We are confident that you and your friend will have an entirely different opinion of Hotel Villa the next time around.

As recently published in the N.Y. Times, bed bugs are increasingly becoming a problem within residences of all kinds, including homes, apartments and hotels (luxurious or economic) throughout North America. Please understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with lack of cleanliness. We are supported by a strong extermination team with whom we have reviewed our cleaning and inspection standards to ensure that a situation like this doesn’t occur again in the future.

This whole situation has certainly been a wake-up call for us and more attention will certainly be given from now on. We thank you for reporting the problem to us before it got any worse.

Again, we hope to see you again in the future so you can see for yourself the work we have done.

All the best.