“Beware the Happy Hour Scam”

Restaurant Le Fripon
Ranked #751 of 5,927 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed 17 June 2013

After sightseeing most of the day we stopped for a beer attracted by the Happy Hour from 3 - 7 notice outside. We were told by the waitress hovering at the entrance to attract customers that it was a two for the price of one offer. Friendly waiter said nothing when, for a party of four, we decided to order a pitcher which holds five glasses. We had a pleasant hour trying different beers. When the bill arrived for the three pitchers we had been charged full price with a bill of almost CAN $ 70. On pointing out that it was happy hour, the waiter then advised us that the happy hour only applied to glasses of beer with the deal being two glasses for CAN $5.95. We said that if we had been told this we would have ordered glasses. The waiter and manager seemed incapable of working out that three pitchers equated to 15 glasses. I was prepared to pay eight times $5.95 plus tax which was about CAN $50. The manager wasn't prepared to accept this and disappeared threatening to call the police. We left $50 on the table and went on our way.

What had been a pleasant afternoon was spoilt by misleading advertising and poor customer relations. Would not visit again?

3  Thank gez01

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The location is great, sit on the covered patio in the center of Jacques Cartier Square. The food is good, but a bit overpriced. $17 for a club sandwich and $24 for a pitcher of Sangria. But that's to be expected in Old Montreal. You're paying for the location. The patio is covered and has heaters above. They were on when we were there, but it wasn't needed (25* out that Saturday afternoon). Inside was empty and still looked small and cramped. The service was really slow. And when we were done, we couldn't find the waitress and had to wait 20 minutes before she appeared again. She appeared when we all got up and I went inside to look for her.

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Great place for brunch! Would have liked two eggs for the classical breakfast and real decaf coffee rather than instant. Otherwise great service and location.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I'm sad to give this poor review because the location is great (we sat on the heated terrace overlooking Place Jacques-Cartier) and the service we received was very good. My impression is that this restaurant was once top-notch but has since slid with complacency.
The food we received was terribly overpriced for the quality. We ended up sharing a muscelin salad (very simply bagged salad with no other veggies and bottled dressing for 8$?), two french onion soups (broth a bit bland, but otherwise okay. For 10,99$ each I expected more) and two beverages. I would have been willing to pay that price for lunch in a top location if the food had been better quality.
Would only go back if the value improved significantly.

1  Thank andreanicole
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Went to Montreal for a get away weekend and wanted a nice place to have lunch in the Old Port.

This place seemed charming at first...

As we are greeted inside the restaurants, we had 3 different waiters coming to our table to take our orders. There seems to be a confusion as to who actually had us first.

Midway through our Nacho Platter, I noticed that the waiter and waitress were directly outside the restaurant and smoking cigarettes. I found it to be disturbing and gross.

My friend ordered the Lasagna Al Forno, it had nothing to do with a lasagna, it was simply 3 slices of pasta SOAKED in tomato sauce (that tasted like it was out of a can) with too much cheese melted on top.

I ordered the french baguette, the bread was too hard to bite, the chicken was dry and flavor less and it simply tasted blend.

The waitress forgot my friends order twice and failed to refresh our water.

We each racked up a bill of 28$, frankly for 5$ I would of ate better at MacDonalds.

1  Thank FreddyBaril