“Anniversary dinner”

Price range: US$31 - US$47
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

We made reservations. The food was wonderful and the service was very friendly. I enjoyed the onion soup which was flavorful and cheesy. The beef tenderloin was delicious. I also added the monte carlo potatoe and bearnaise sauce...soooo good. My husband chose the rib steak which was equally delicious and juicy. We were far too full for dessert. The only drawback was that at around 8pm about 30 men showed up (apparently this was usual)and they were very loud and didn't seem to care that others were trying to enjoy a quiet dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,979)

Reviewed September 9, 2016 via mobile

Final night of our tour and we ate here at Gibby's. What an experience. I can't begin to explain how good the food, service and ambience is. For a group of 40 people we were treated like regulars at your favourite spot. Menu was extensive and catered for every taste. Portions more than generous and everyone's meals were served hot and cooked to perfection. Seriously if you are in Montreal you have to eat here

1  Thank TATAustralia
Reviewed September 9, 2016

Gibbys is in an old stable and very attractive. Service was prompt and friendly. The steaks were thick and cooked perfectly. Potatoes and salad great. We were a little confused by the dill pickles served as appetizers - maybe that is a Canadian thing - but we did enjoy them. We made reservations the day before and were seated downstairs - which was fine - but there is an outdoor seating area and would be fun if the weather was nice and you made reservations early enough. We were staying downtown and were able to walk to the restaurant.

1  Thank shields1954
Reviewed September 8, 2016 via mobile

My fave restaurant. Sorry Bicycle Thief (Halifax, NS), sorry Talisman & Tamambo (Nairobi, KE)
My last meal on earth would be at Gibby's, if I had a choice. Must include any choice steak with Monte Carlo potato(es), mushrooms and forever the mint chocolates.
Gibby's had me at "welcome, Madame. Your table is this way".
Gibby's was a stable waaaay back then. Until it was turned into a steakhouse per excellence!
So:
Free valet parking✔️
Professional yet friendly service ✔️
Great choice menu...steaks, seafood, vegan/vegetarian,etc... ✔️
Great starters/desserts - soups, salads ✔️
Excellent wine selection✔️
Extraordinary ambience. Truly. Old, new, rustic... Just tasteful decor.
Furniture, wall accessories. Waiters/waitress dress code.
Oh, if you have to wait for your table, there is an excellent, well stocked, well decorated, super comfy bar where to kill time...
OMG moment: tasting the homemade mint chocolate
Birthday or wedding anniversary?
Mention it during reservation because there will be song and cake✔️✔️
This should be a on everyone's "Bucket List". Really.
I love, love, love Gibby's. Pricey but worth it✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️Stars
Sylvia K.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

My family ate here with some locals, so this was based on their recommendation. I was in the mood for some steak, and it didn't disappoint here. I went with the petit filet, but other entrees also looked delicious. The sides were adequate, but not notable. Service for us was excellent - we were a larger party of 8. Apparently, per our locals' opinion, the mousse is also notable, which I would agree.

Been to Gibbys? Share your experiences!