“La Sauvagine is a "Tourist trap "”
Review of La Sauvagine

La Sauvagine
Reserve with OpenTable
La Sauvagine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #728 of 5,853 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Although well located in the Old Montreal, and one feels the warmth of this historical building I must say the rest was extremely disappointing.
Our first course was French onion soup, which was alright, then my partner had lobster and I had the confit ( duck leg ) and we both got stuck with dried out meals, I don't know how long they had these prepared in advance, actually my confit felt as though it had been reheated a couple of times, completely dried out and the tablespoon of sauce they served with it wasn't enough to give it any flavor. When finally the waiter came by after he saw our still full plates being taken away by the busboy, he said I can see you both ate well, to which I replied what was wrong with our meals, he said, while showing the rest of the room with his outstretched arm, that everyone else had been satisfied, meaning I must be wrong and probably don't have a good palet. I eat confit every 2 weeks and also make it, so I know confit and how it should look and taste like. As for my partner , he didn't enjoy his lobster either, and when he cracked the claw the meat was coming out in tiny shreds, now for those of you who eat lobster what would you say was wrong with this lobster ? Needless to say we didn't even want to try the desert , we just wanted to get out of that place and vowed never to return nor even think of recommending this restaurant. I wouldn't give any star to this restaurant and not even for the service since the waiter did argue with me.

2  Thank MissGodiva2u
There are newer reviews for La Sauvagine

Reviewed 2 September 2010

Seating outside was nice, where you could watch the locals and tourists stroll down St Paul. However, the service was terrible. The waiter was slow to take our order, and once we received our food, we did not see our waiter again. The food was fairly tasty, though the portions were small and not worth the money. Would NOT eat here again.

1  Thank PlacesToSee4
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My wife and I were touring Old Montreal, looking for somewhere to eat. The skies opened up on us and it began to rain, so we ran into this little restaurant, along with many other people who had been on the patio. Once inside, the restaurant was packed. We got a table and waited a good ten minutes for our menus. It took another ten minutes to get our wine and almost ten more to finally order. We started our order with a spring mix salad, while my wife ordered Boar, and I ordered the Filet Mignon. No sooner had we ordered and 2 plates arrived. My wife asked if that was the Boar and the waiter affirmed. Once the plates were set down, they were both identical, and we didn't believe either to be Boar. After some difficulty, we were able to call over a server and inform him that we received somebody else's food. The server took the plates, walked about 3 tables away, and gave them to another couple in the restaurant (they were not impressed having received food directly from another table). The music in the restaurant was excellent and it had a vintage Montreal look. We received the salad, which was rather good. Our main courses took a little time but did arrive, and hot. The Boar was basically done as a stew and was delicious and very tasty (although the meat may have been a little over-cooked, not sure, first time I've had Boar). The Filet Mignon was amazing. Cooked rare, in a blue cheese sauce/gravy, there was so much flavour and the meat was very tender. During the course of the meal, not once did a server come to check if our meal was satisfactory or to fill our water, and by this time, the restaurant was maybe a third full of people.

La Sauvagine had amazing food, a great atmosphere, but is priced as a high-end/fancy restaurant, without the customer service to back it up. I would recommend eating here under certain conditions: 1) try it when it isn't busy and the serving staff don't seemed overwhelmed with a little work, or 2) don't go there expecting to receive any attention from the servers until it's time to pay your bill.

Reviewed 30 May 2010

I've eaten here several times and am always impressed with the quality of the food. It's not cheap, but the quality and unique atmosphere are worth it. The staff are fully bilingual and don't treat francophones and anglophones differently as do some Montreal restaurants.

Reviewed 27 October 2009

La Sauvagine located in the old section of Montreal was charming and the music pleasant. We had a wonderful window seat overlooking the street where we could people watch. We started off with a delicious shrimp bisque, then escargot on pastry. I had the salmon with wild mushrooms and my husband, the shrimp and scallops. We both thoroughly enjoyed our tasty seafood dinners. We followed up with dessert, a creme brulee. We also had a French chardonnay with dinner. The atomosphere was pleasant and the waiter always showed up at just the right time. We would definitely dine at this restaurant again. The menu is classic French cuisine including wild game.