“RECALL”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Schwartz's smoked meat recalled in Quebec, Ontario

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued a recall notice for the At Home brand of smoked meat from iconic Montreal deli Schwartz's due to possible listeria contamination.

1  Thank stehib
There are newer reviews for Schwartz's

Reviewed 10 November 2013

great experience. good food. long wait in the cold is not fun. must visit place in montreal. great tradition. service is fast and efficient. good for the money. can't beat a good smoked meat sandwich with fries and pickles

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Yes, the "smoked meat" is good here, and a huge portion, but maybe not the "best" pastrami I've ever had.

What I don't get is the hype though... I suppose if you're just dying to eat in a tiny, cramped, historic, but grimy diner, elbow to elbow with people you don't know, this is your place.

Our not-so-friendly server looked and acted like a heroin addict, complete with unbuttoned shirt, greasy unwashed hair, and sweat pouring off him. A couple of the other servers looked similar, so I have to question if some of that lack of hygiene is getting into the food. One server told me the owners had paid $10 million for the place when they bought it from Celine Dion's husband... Guess they didn't have any money left over for cleaning or renovations

For me, it's really not worth waiting in line with all the other tourists for this. Take-out is the way to go here... 2 star place + 1 extra star for the meat

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have been going here most of my life. I am a smoked meat junkie. There was never a question as to who was the best in the world. My wife and I went twice in October. I previously reviewed it as horrible. I gave it a mulligan since they are Schwartz's and I am an eternal optimist. We went back to see if the first time was a mistake. No unfortunately the magic is gone. The sandwiches were again dry, tasteless and hard to chew. The all new cooking staff really don't know what smoked meat is, how to cook it or how to slice it. I watched as two of the cook staff were discussing with one of the waiters what the texture of the meat should be and how it should be sliced. How can the cooks be getting advice from the waiters in an 80 year old restaurant that is known around the world? Clearly what has happened is when the new owners (I hear it is Celine Dion and others) took over the old staff turned over. I did not see any of the old guys that used to be there. Anyone who goes there now is relying on their old reputation or they are tourists who haven't heard it is no longer any good. SAD SAD SAD!!!! I make my own smoked meat 100 times better than that. I should open up next door to them.

1  Thank Canuckscout
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I am native Montrealer who has been going to Schwartz`s since 1970. Recently after a Sunday evening hockey game I went there with my 15 yo son for sandwich - not having been back there since it was sold to `investors` in 2012. Well - this visit confirmed what I have always said - `investors` and iconic restaurants don`t mix well. Schwartz`s smoked meat has had the same recipe for years - 10 days covered in spices in barrels, 6 to 8 hours or so in a smoker, then steamed for hours before finally being served.

While the smoked meat sandwich we had was big enouigh the meat had very little taste - like it was in the barrels for 3 days and smoked for 2 hours. Very, very, very disapointing and sad. I spoke to the manager who promised that nothing had changed but my taste buds tell me differently. I will go back there once again, perhaps this was an off night.

If this experience is sadly repeated many will mourn the passage of this iconic restaurant into a tourist trap for people who don`t really know better.

Anyone else there with the same experience.

Jeff B