“Disappointed with my experience”
Review of Kyo Bar Japonais

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: Saint-Jacques
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes (Orange line) Bus line: 55
Description: A taste of Japan situated in a laid-back hideaway by Place d'Armes Square, Kyo Bar Japonais is a favourite among hungry, Old Montreal diners. Its menu boasts colourful izakaya creations, lunchtime bento box specials, smart sushi options and, with over 25 varieties, Montreal's most extensive sake list! Punctuating the assorted deliciousness is an atmosphere fit for good times, great company and ample post-meal sake sipping.
Reviewed August 24, 2016

Service was attentive and friendly which I always appreciate but my main plate was disappointing. I ordered the Yaki Udon. I found the portion small and not spicy at all. Perhaps if I ordered something else, I would have enjoyed my food experience But I don't see myself going back.The Donuts with Yuzu is a good desert choice.

1  Thank ShortSweetTravel
cbeland, Gérant at Kyo Bar Japonais, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2016

Dear ShortSweetTravel,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your comment. Your opinion is very important for us.
I am sorry that the Yaki Udon was not up to your expectations. The portions are not too big because Kyo is an izakaya which is like tapas.
I would like to see you again at Kyo. I would be happy to discuss with you, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Christine Béland
514-282-2721

Reviewed August 23, 2016 via mobile

One of the best sushi places that I know of.
Great selection
Fantastic neighbourhood
Attentive waiters
Cannot wait to go back

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Location: Excellent in the Old Montreal area right beside Notre Dame Cathedral
Ambiance: Trendy yet old world charm structure
Food: Top quality for all servings of Japanese fare including sushi, sashimi etc. Possibly the best sushi I have had in Montreal at par or slightly better than Maiko (except the eel, much better at Maiko)
Service: Splendid, attentive, friendly and courteous

Well worth what we paid and definitely a return visit to come!

Reviewed August 21, 2016

With a long day trip booked to Quebec on my birthday I needed to find a restaurant that served food late as we wren't due to return to Montreal until around 8pm.
So I booked a table at 9pm, when we arrived at Kyo it was still busy at this time even on a Monday evening and the atmosphere was lively but still felt relaxed aided by the dark and moody interior and low lighting.
We ordered a selection of izakaya all of which were beautifully presented and we thoroughly enjoyed. My favourite probably being the mayo shrimp and beef sashimi. The pork belly whilst still very tasty had a little moo much fat on it that hadn't been rendered down enough and was still flabby.
The cocktails were nice enough but not particularly memorable and maybe a little bit flat.
Service was quite slow but we weren't in a hurry but when the waitress served our doughnuts with yuzu to the table she apologised for the slow service that evening and advised us that we wouldn't be charged for our desserts which I thought was a nice gesture, especially as we hadn't even complained.

I wouldn't hurry back but at the same time I wouldn't say no to a return visit especially if I fancied eating this style of food whilst in Montreal.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed August 21, 2016 via mobile

This is an excellent dining experience in a relaxed yet upscale atmosphere. Prices are reasonable, especially for great food on a nice place on Old Montreal. Wait staff is very friendly and attentive.
As other Japanese places, you order a bunch of small dishes, and if you are still hungry, you order more. The shrimp dish was amazing, and we enjoyed their sushi, chicken and onion kabobs, and cold spicy vegetable dish. Great sake menu too.