“Best wood oven pizza downtown”
Review of Il Focolaio

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 23 July 2009

They now have a selection of 75 pizzas. The Sumarino (Italian sausage sub) is great too, never tried the calzones though. Place is always packed for lunch. Get there early, especially if you want to sit outside on the patio. Considering the flow, you could say service is good. Downside is the beer on tap: Belle Gueule is not that good and a 20$ pitcher is not a bargain.

They don't serve the best Italian pizza in town (try Pizzeria Napoletana for that) but it's the best pizza downtown!

Reviewed 30 May 2009

Il Focolaio Pizza was conveniently located next to my hotel, Le Square Phillips. As a casual dining restaurant, Il Focolaio more than met our needs. Although the extensive menu options may be a bit overwhelming, the pizzas are amazing and the salads are fresh and light. My mother and I shared a pizza with spicy sausage (not spicy at all), mushrooms, green peppers, and artichokes and a large salad. The pizza crust is on the thin side and significantly more delicious than pizzas I've had in NYC or Chicago. The cook had been kind enough to portion our dinner for us. Also, the sangria was delicious and reasonably priced at $5 a glass or $12.95 for a half-pitcher. Pizzas and salads averaged $10-$14 each. Service was average, and most of the waiters are on the younger side. It took a while for the waiter to take our orders, but the food is well worth it. The restaurant started closing up around 10:30 pm, so make sure you get there before then. Il Focolaio is excellent for families, friends, and great food and is not to be missed!

Reviewed 11 February 2009

This is a great spot for pizza, with hundreds of choices. I find the service to be seriously lacking though. Either you get ignored for quite a while (which is understandable to a certain degree because they are always busy) or someone at your table ends up getting the wrong order (has happened twice to me). Obviously though, I keep going back because the pizza and value for money is fantastic!

Reviewed 15 November 2008

Even though the place was VERY busy (in the middle of the lunch rush) and I was by myself, I was treated as though I was the only person in the restaurant. The Pizza Milanese (with artichokes, olives, sauce and cheese) was great, the beer was cold and, as I said, the service was second to none. I will definitely return when I come back to Montreal!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 August 2008

most amazing pizza's with the most amazing selections of toppings! the place lacks atmosphere but the pizza is fantastic!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook