“Great thali”

Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: Thali Cuisine Indienne is the true & only Thali quick serve restaurant in Montreal. We have been at our current location for 8 years now and popular amongst locals, students & tourists. We are vegetarian and vegan friendly and provide fine Indian cuisine at an affordable price. Note: We Deliver to all hotels in the downtown core. This is our only location. We accept cash and Interac (Can. debit). Credit card accepted via only ordering site Just Eat (Thali 1409 St Marc).
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

This place is always busy because they have good thali's for a low price. I don't go for anything a la carte but it's great for a cheap and filling thali

There are newer reviews for Thali Cuisine Indienne

Reviewed 27 November 2016

Excellent take out deal with 2 meats, a vegetable choice, rice, Naan and Poppadum for $10. The butter chicken was outstanding. Prefer take out as the interior is a bit drab. But the service was very friendly.

Reviewed 4 November 2016

Walked for an hour to find Thali, after reading good reviews prior to my trip to Montreal. Got there and found it was not a great experience, and not worth my time and effort to get there. The fact that it is a cafe in appearance was surprising, but not too significant as I still wanted to try the food. But just don't be fooled into thinking you'll get any sort of table service or a great restaurant experience - the place is a tiny, undecorated cafe on a side street. The service was non-existent. There is no welcome or greeting, not even hello or a smile. The guy at the till was incredibly rude to me - I said hi and asked do I order here or sit down? He abruptly told me to order there. He did not look at me. So I asked if there was salty lassi as I'd seen it on the online menu and he didn't answer just pointed at the fridge behind him to the ready made lassis, which looked like strawberry and mango. Ok I thought, and ordered a strawberry lassi. I then ordered a vegetarian thali, substituting the naan for roti and I paid the amount due. He gave me two pieces and paper and I went and sat down, with difficulty - the cafe seats probably only about 25 people, and it's very cramped. A few minutes later I got up to ask something and he then tells me to take one of the slips to the lady who was standing behind the glass window of food. Wondering why he didn't tell me that when I paid, I took the slip to an equally unfriendly, non-smiling lady behind the counter. She just stood there and when I didn't say anything, she eventually says in a very unfriendly tone 'choose your curries'. I asked her which are the meat and which are the vegetarian curries and she pointed to them without saying anything. I then had to ask again to ask what the vegetable curries were as I couldn't tell from looking at them what was in them. Apparently I had to choose three curries. She rolled her eyes, told me what was in each curry and I then told her which three I wanted. How am I supposed to know if they are not labelled and if they all look the same? Also, why not tell me the system an not just expect me to know, I am not a mindreader! She then put them into my thali dish, put the roti in a different plate and dumped them onto the counter rudely. I took the thali dish and went back for the roti dish, and went to my table. It was an awful experience to be treated like that. As it was 12pm, it was not very busy at that time. Once I sat down, more people started coming into the shop. I could tell they were local regulars as they knew the system. I noticed these customers were greeted, smiled at and spoken to normally. As a traveller I was apalled at the way I was treated. There were people of all ethnic origins lining up to buy takeaway or eat in. It is clearly popular food. In my opinion, the food was a basic north Indian thali, not the best I've ever had but pretty good, if not a tad oily. If I had an option I would have asked them not to put butter on my roti but since they were behaving in a hostile manner, it was difficult to ask them anything. It is good value for money in comparison to other Montreal eateries. The experience for me was completely ruined by the hostile attiude of the staff. They need some training in customer service skills. I will never return to this place.

1  Thank anamikatravel
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

It's hard not to eat here everyday. I almost always get the alu goby, chana masala, and sambar. Their samosas are unreal. I love the staff. They do their job and they're good at it. I dream about their food.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

This little hole in the wall restaurant is a favorites not only among students but also among locals living in the downtown core. They have a $10, (tax incl) dish that gives you 2 meat selections, one vegetarian dish, rice, a full nan and papadam. Where else can you get that much food for 10 bucks. It was so much that I was not able to finish it. I did however also buy 2 samosas (one meat and one veggie) just to try them out and I am glad I did. Both were slightly spicy, not greasy at all and piping hot. For the main dishes my wife and I decided to try all 4 meat dishes (butter chicken, spicy chicken, lamb and the beef). All four we flavourful with the spicy chicken offering the biggest kick. Both the lamb and beef were very tender but watch when they are serving as with the lamb at first we had several chunks of bone with very little meat. When we pointed this out they happily added more meat. I had the potato and cauliflower veggie dish which was very good and cooked perfectly and my wife had the chick peas which were also spicy. YumYum!! This restaurant will definitely become one of our go to places when we dont feel like cooking. I am anxious to try the tandoori chicken and the Dal masala.

2  Thank dang9973