Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Book In Advance
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews english library old jail chemistry lab beautiful library solitary confinement english language historical society louise penny cultural center our tour guide jail cell dark room great tour interesting building quick tour general wolfe quebec history
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Don’t miss this tour! The building started as a jail, converted to a college and now includes one of the most picturesque tiny libraries I’ve ever seen.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Quirky, interesting building with a wealth of history. Booked the tour (only about $15) and it made the visit that much more enjoyable. Highlight of the trip!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This building has so many stories, from being a jail, to a school, and now hosting a great library. A must see. Very knowledgeable guides.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The history of the Morrin Center is unique. I'm sure I've never been any place that could boast having been a prison, a college, and a library. And our tour group learned about all of these things during the tour. However, I felt cheated when I read reviews that spoke of guides who were "engaging" or "humorous." I felt the same way when I heard about having plenty of time to read the exhibits. Our experience was different.

Our guide was informative, but there definitely was no time for reading about the exhibits. We were told that we could go back and read, take pictures, etc. after the tour ended. The truth turned out to be different. Immediately after the tour I tried to go back to the room where we started. The door was locked, and when I finally gained admittance, another tour group was in the room. Yes, I was permitted to go back in to read or take pictures, but I felt such actions would be distracting to that group and after a couple of pictures I left. In all fairness, we did have time to take pictures in the science lab and the library, but the location I was most interested in was our first stop (the location of displays and signage about the building's use as a prison). Maybe we just toured on a day when the tour timing was off, but I'd suggest asking before the tour starts if you are really, really going to be able to go back after the tour to read and take pictures.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What an interesting place. My bf and I did a tour here after hours that included the history of the place as a prison and leading up to its current place as a library/cultural center. If you're into dorky things like that, this was a cool side-activity for an hour! We get to see the prison units downstairs and get an idea of the times. A fun place to check out!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Easily booked this on line. Entertaining piece of Quebec history. Our docent was engaging and very well informed. Answered everyone's questions. They must have been reading the reviews because we had a generous amount of time to look at and read the information in the prison section. Also time to explore the library before and after the tour. Ability to walk several flights of stairs is required.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Glad we stopped for a tour. We actually bumped into it and went in and took a tour as my wife is a Louise Penny fan

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Started as a prison, became a university and is now a cultural centre and private library. The tour covers all 3 aspects and does it really well. The prison part was particularly interesting and the guide brought it to life very well.
There are quite a few stairs to climb so probably not suited for those of limited mobility. Otherwise, don’t miss this tour

Reviewed September 21, 2018

The Morrin Centre is a unique spot in Quebec. Tours will take you through the 1800s jail cells, old classrooms, and finally the library. The jail cells were undoubtedly the most interesting part of the tour, but the rest of the centre has fascinating history behind it. I would have rated 5 stars, but my only complaint is that the tour went a little too quickly. In the jail portion specifically, the first block you visit has little exhibits in some of the cells and I didn't have time to read through them all. In the second block, I barely had enough time to get a picture inside a cell before the guide had moved on to another room. Aside from that, I do recommend visiting the Morrin Centre. The library was beautiful, the history was rich, and the tour guide was very engaging.

Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

The tour starts around 10am and covers the former jail, including, if you volunteer, a short spell in the cells. We also spent some time in the science lab and the library.
Our guide was humorous and informative and for $11 each seniors rate it represented excellent value for money