“We were disappointed”

Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne
Ranked #71 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We wanted a hotel right in the heart of old Quebec and we got that with this hotel. We parked the car for 2 days and walked everywhere; however, the room itself did not provide fair value for the money. We obviously paid for the location. We actually had to ask to switch to another room which was only slightly better. If you are only looking for a bed to crash in after all your walking, this might be ok for you. There is no elevator and the stairs are narrow and steep.

Room Tip: Hotel Staff are accomodating about switching you to another room if available.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sillypei

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Stayed there August 28 to 31 2011. Small rooms that are clean. All staff is very nice and helpful. The breakfast is of limited value except maybe for the first morning when you do not know where other available options are. Centrally located and close to parking at city hall. Rooms are not well sound insulated but that is the nature of an historic building. Thankfully all our neighbors were quiet and we just slept there

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I spent 3 nights at Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne while visiting Quebec on sightseeing vacation.The hotel was conveniently located to all attractions. The room was clean, the garden courtyard lovely, the breakfast was fresh and plentiful and dining area was quaint. My bathroom was also fresh , stocked with supplies and cleaned daily. This is a historic hotel with maintained in an Old World feel. the staff were helpful ,kind and friendly. I would stay here again and recommend this to friends.

Room Tip: location and value
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elaina T
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I'll make it short: there is no excuse for not cleaning a room properly. I can understand that an owner cannot afford changing the furniture or have a new paint and carpets. But to remove filth and dirt, all you need is hot water a bit of soap and elbow grease. It's not a matter of how many stars your hotel has, it's a matter of respect for yourself and your guests. I have stays so often in hostels, and it was cleaner than that.
My room as 150 CAD per night.

I wish I took photographs so you would se what I mean. The baseboards were covered with brown sticky dust. In the bathroom, you had dirt straks all over the walls.

The sheets were clean and you could see that the sink and bathtub had bveen washed. But the bed cover was smelling bad. I can't imaginewhen is the last time they wahed it.

I did not want to try the breakfast (what if the kitchen was maintained like the rooms...)

Staff was very helpful and friendly, location is perfect, and the street is very quiet. No concerns there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank zazzie
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My wife and I recently spent a weekend in Quebec City at the Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne. The hotel is in a great location for sightseeing in the old, historic section of the city. There is a stop for the free city bus (shuttle size electric vehicles) not more than 50 yards from the hotel. You don't even need the bus since everything you would want to see is within a twenty minute walk. The price was reasonable ($170 per night including tax) and the staff could not have been more friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and large enough for two people (average size by European standards, small by US standards). The hotel and the staff have an authentic feel. This hotel is the perfect place to stay in Quebec City.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zato
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The location is decent, but the hotel room was extremely small. The door was about 5 feet 10 inches high. I must've hit my head on it 5 times. The room itself was so small, that the shower in the bathroom problem represented 30% of the total square footage in the room. The miniature "double" bed barely fit in the small room. I guess hotels are very expensive in the old city, but I thought for $142 / night plus taxes, I would get a room bigger than the closet in my cramped New York City apartment. I would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank largeturkey
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We stayed at this Hotel for 1 night in mid/late May. The location in excellent and the price is quite good compared to other hotels in this part of town. The Hotel is essentially like a boarding house with 2 floors. There is no parking in front or on the street, so you have to double-park in the street, unload your luggage and then get it into the Hotel lobby. Then, you have to go park at the over night parking lot under City Hall...only about 5 min walk away.

The lobby is tiny and we were lucky since we were the only people checking in at that time. The front desk was very helpful, spoke excellent English and was very knowledgeable about the area. We asked for a room on the first floor since we did not want to lug our luggage upstairs. There is no elevator here, so you have to carry your luggage upstairs. You cannot expect the front desk to help either...this is not part of their job.

The parking is $14 extra (w/ tax) per day and it is about a 5 min walk away from the Hotel. When you have to check out, it's the same deal...go to the parking lot, get the car, double park, get all the stuff into it and get going.

The rooms are clean but very small. The heating is great since it is radiator heating (not blowing heat) and it works really fast since the room is small. There is no street noise, but the walls are thin and you can hear people coming in and out or walking on the second floor (or your own floor).

I am glad I stayed at this Hotel and it gave me a good idea of the 'Old City' of Quebec. I would recommend it to others since it is a great location. As long as you are OK w/ the little extras, then it should not be an issue.

The only issue was that they advertised wireless internet service which did not work effectively. We could only access 1 or 2 sites, could not check email and had to go down to City Hall Tourist Center to get wireless web service. There is no Business Center in the hotel. But there are internet centers only a few blocks away.

The best price one (if you have your own laptop) is the tourist info center where you can get unlimited service for only $2 CDN.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple