“Too noisy for me”

Residences Universite Laval
Reviewed 21 August 2015

Our stay at the Laval University Residence was a disappointment. The noise both outside the residence building and in the hallway was enough to keep me from getting a good sleep during our four night stay. From July 24 to 27 every night there was yelling outside the building and loud talking and yelling inside the wing hallway, and in adjacent rooms. The room doors also closed with loud enough bangs to keep me from sleeping, and when I did manage to nod off they woke me with a start. I am a light sleeper and even with a white noise fan running I could only sleep from around 02:00 when it got quieter to about 06:00 when the noise started up again as patrons left rooms “slamming” doors on their way out. There is no AC in these rooms and as it was hot out we left the window open but we had to close them at around 02:00 when the yelling would start, then is got uncomfortably muggy in the room.
We found dust/dirt on the floor of our room upon arrival, and the one breakfast we had in the cafeteria included hash browns that were not edible as they were cold and soggy. The coffee was ok…
We paid around $75 Canadian for the room I would say it was not worth it.
On the positive side the linen was clean, it is fairly close to the city, it was cheaper than a hotel, and the staff was friendly and apologetic when told about the noise. Parking was free, there was free internet, and did I mention the coffee?
We stayed at a residence in Montreal once years ago and had a pleasant experience hence the reason to try it again. I did not realize this university still had some courses going on and that the place was going to be quite busy.
It’s not the universities fault of course if there clientele are not considerate of others but it is what it is. If you’re a light sleeper, want peace and quiet, a floor free of dirt, and would like to eat in the cafeteria close by maybe don’t stay here.

Room Tip: The university does have rooms with washrooms and they may be in quieter areas, you must reserve the...
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annepaul33

Reviewed 19 August 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, for budget accommodation in Quebec City, this is a great choice. Just make sure you understand what you are getting.
It's barebones, not the most comfortable bed, shared bath and not all of the amenities of a hotel, but it's clean and safe.
We left our car here and just took the bus into the downtown and old Quebec City.
The 800 and 801 pick up right outside the residence and in 13-20 minutes you are right at the walls of old QC.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2015

Green campus with good bus connections into the city. The facilities are great: campus shop, cafeteria, cash machines, vending machines, wifi. The rooms are cheap but very small for 2 beds and terribly hit and stuffy in the summer. The windows have insect mesh but do not open much and so you swelter. I would not stay here again. Oh, and there's a fridge tax too.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2015

At 16$/day the deal is unbeatable, provided you stay 28 days and more, may to september only. If you stay a couple days its less attractive. My room had a too hard mattres for me but apart from that everything was fine. It was my 2nd time and there will be a third. Free efficient wifi. No insonorization.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank louisarnout
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, and saw this just as a "bed to sleep". No frills at all, and the room was quite small. Shared showers were small but OK. Reception staff was particularly welcoming. Great place to stay if you come with the righ expectations. The nearby bus stop had frequent rides downtown.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mapengobis
Reviewed 8 June 2015

Great way to save money on a hotel (if you're willing to sacrifice some comfort/convenience). Especially if you have all-day plans and just need somewhere to crash. Bring earplugs, flip-flops for the shower, and extra sweaters (my room was quite cold). Be prepared to walk 5-10 minutes from check-in desk to your room with your luggage. Convenient city bus stop on campus.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2015

You get what you pay for. This room had all the basics, but remember that you have to share the bathroom. I could not help feeling that the furniture was sticky and hadn't been thoroughly cleaned. Also, young people should smile a little at adults rather than scour at us.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo