“above and beyond...”

Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
New York, NY
“above and beyond...”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I just returned from a 4 day stay at Hotel Le Priori in Quebec City. It was my first time visiting the city and I fell in love with it! A large part of this was due to my excellent experience at the hotel, even before we arrived. I had email and phone exchanges with Tania when deciding on the type of room to reserve. I travel with my best friend and we like large rooms, modern bathrooms and a sitting area where we can have "happy hour", a tradition every time we travel. Every day at approx 5 o'clock, we have wine and snacks while reliving the day's experiences and looking forward to a fabulous dinner. Tania and I decided that room 12 (Rolf Benz suite) would be perfect. A few days before we arrived, we realized that the hotel did not have a gym. Even though it was a holiday weekend (Good Friday and Easter Monday), Erwan, the charming and knowledgable General Manager, worked his magic and got us gym privileges at the hotel directly across the street. From the minute we checked in with Andre, meeting Tania the next morning and Erwan, who came to introduce himself while we were having breakfast (great variety and delicious!) to make sure everything was to our liking, the experience was exceptional. I relived my visits to Argentina and Punta del Este with Andre who's face lit up with pride when talking about his corner of the world. He and Tania were excellent at helping us secure dinner reservations at 3 of the best restaurants in Quebec, one being Toast! which is in the hotel.

The room had a private bedroom and another area with a queen sized bed and large closet. The beds were inviting with their immaculate, crisp, white sheets and duvet and 4 fluffy pillows. There was also a dining table with 4 chairs and a leather sofa with coffee table and 2 comfy chairs. A fireplace and alcove with fridge, Nespresso machine (loved that touch!) and closet with iron and ironing board completed the stone walled area with 3 floor to ceiling windows that flooded the room with sunlight. The bathroom was huge with slate covered walls and floor, double sink, large shower and jacuzzi tub and even a sitting area complete with towel covered chair. The toiletries were luxurious (brand escapes me) and every detail was covered down to the sewing kit complete with buttons. There was an ample supply of good quality towels as well as a hair dryer, in short, they thought of EVERYTHING! Kudos to the housekeeper for magically transforming the room from lived in to spotless every day!

I can't say enough about how enjoyable this trip was, largely due to the hospitality of the amazing staff at the Hotel Le Priori. I have NO hestitation recommending this perfectly located piece of heaven in the lower town of Vieux Quebec!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Erwan F, General Manager at Hotel Le Priori, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear CeciNYC,

Thank you very much for this exhaustive review about your experience with us. I am sure the readers will enjoy your sense of detail as your lines offer a great description of our Rolf Benz Suite.

We are very happy to read that we contributed to the success of your holiday in Quebec City. Thank you for highlighting the great job of our housekeeping department. They strive to ensure that everyday our customers enjoy neat and comfy rooms.

Your recommendation is very valuable to us. We will be happy to welcome you again for your next stay in Quebec City.

Best regards,

Erwan Franchet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Brooklyn, USA
Reviewed 12 April 2012

First, due to a delay in Newark, I arrived very late. The front desks closes at midnight, which is okay, because they have an intercom connected to a night person who can buzz you in. They left an envelope for me on the ground floor, which was nice, but less charming is that the elevator gets shut down after midnight as well.

So, I had to walk up five floors with my bags. When I got to my room, which was very nice, there was no heat. This was late March, still very cold in Quebec City. I was able to huddle under my sheets, but it took two more days for them to fix the heat.

Otherwise, very nice. Bed is very comfortable, style is very contemporary, what I would call Quebec Moderne. An excellent breakfast is included daily.

I realize that it is expensive the front desk open at night, but that, combined with no heat for two days, tempered my enthusiasm for Le Priori.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Erwan F, General Manager at Hotel Le Priori, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear BrooklynGarcon,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Hotel Le Priori.

I am deeply sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay. As the front desk is closed from midnight to six, we have no other choice but to close the elevator as it opens on various public areas such as restaurant Toast!. Our night agent can be on site within minutes: he is located on the same street. We usually allocate low floor rooms for late arrivals to avoid walking up numerous floors. I will investigate to understand why the procedure has not been followed in your situation.

Regarding the issue you have faced with the heat, please receive my sincere apologies. We have changed all the convectors that were not effective enough and have backed them with our air conditioning system that can provide additional heat during winter.

Thank you for your positive input about our complimentary buffet. We want to make sure every guest enjoys a great hot and cold breakfast to start the day.

It is always nice to have feedback on everything we have to work on to improve our service. I hope that we will be able to welcome you again to show you our improvements.

Best regards,

Levis, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel in order to attend my sister's wedding. The whole family did. It was a fantastic experience. The rooms are beautiful (although some are a little small) and the suites are amazing. The staff was wonderful, helpful and saved the day when we almost forgot the bouquets on the way to the wedding. The cobblestones at the back were a little icy, but I have no complaints about this hotel. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Erwan F, General Manager at Hotel Le Priori, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear kimie320,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Your positive feedback on our staff is greatly appreciated. At Hotel Le Priori, we all make our best to offer the best stay possible to all our guests.
I am sorry that you found our backyard a little bit icy. We were undergoing major renovations this winter and it affected our maintenance program. This is now over and we are getting ready for the sunny season : Toast! restaurant will set soon its tables outside!

On the behalf of the staff, I thank you for your recommandation : this is for us a great reward.

We hope to welcome you soon at Hotel Le Priori.

Best Regards,

guelph
Reviewed 21 February 2012

we were attending a family wedding.found the rooms to be very clean with an unusual mix of old and new charm .fascinating architecture with good use of space.Has very large windows.Staff were extremely helpful and very attentive to our needs.(they made sure we didn't drive away without the flowers)Breakfast was very good and not the usual fruit/croissants.Our view was of cobble streets and a partial water view.This hotel is close to the museum,art and clothing stores,and numerous restaurants.A 10 min. walk to Le Chateau, the ferry and the train station.Much to see and do!

Room Tip: pick an upgrade for a larger room and especially if you have children.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 4mom4
toronto
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I took my girlfriend to Quebecfor the opening of winter carnival 2012. We loved our stay at the hotel and our time in Old Quebec. The hotel is in the heart of the old city. The rooms are comfortable and the suites like the one we stayed at was beautiful.
Le Priori is a hidden gem, and made our stay such a special one.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank sanichute
New York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Le Priori's staff elevates a fine hotel to an excellent experience, and even in the intimate, personalized realm of boutique and design hotels, the staff is unparalleled.

The hotel's location, as other reviewers note, is perfect. The William Suite is enormous, larger than its description or photos can capture. The bathroom's tub and shower both easily hold two, and both bedroom and downstairs living area are comfortably, tastefully furnished. The building's storied architectural appeal is complimented, rather than confused, by the suite's modern design and decor.

Toast not only serves an elaborate breakfast spread (with fresh dishes and piping-hot pastries being ushered from table to table, before taking their place at the buffet), but the most creative (playful, even) small-plate menu based on Quebecois cuisine I experienced in either QC or Montreal.

A late-night/early-morning issue was resolved by the staff without the slightest delay, and with the utmost courtesy and professionalism. A question from the previous day, despite a full staff turnover, was addressed with gusto the following morning, with reception and management not only knowledgeable but incredibly helpful. Despite my limited aptitude in French, the entire staff engaged in English enthusiastically and graciously. Especially helpful, both in person and via email before and after, was manager Erwan.

In short, Le Priori would make for a fine stay in Quebec City even with the occasional hiccup in service, but there were none. Quite the contrary.

Room Tip: The Williams Suite is so reasonably-priced, for its spaciousness and amenities, I would insist on it...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Andrew W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Le Priori the first weekend of this year's Winter Festival. From start to finish our stay was wonderful. The location is perfect if you want to emmerse yourself in the old charm of Quebec. The price (especially during the crowded festival) was incredibly low. The staff bent over backwards to be accomodating and the room was spotless.

We arrived, after driving through the night in some terrible snowy/icy conditions. We got in around 11:30am well before check in but figured we'd at least drop our bags off. I gave my pleasantries in French (1 year of HS French paying dividends). From then on out all staff graciously spoke to me in English. To our surprise our room was ready and we were allowed to check in nice and early. Considering the conditions outside and our depraved sleep state this was a welcome godsend.

I was given a parking pass to the lot down the road (parking was included...$20/day value), which unfortunately did not work, so I used my credit card to get in to the lot. When I got back in and explained the situation I was told that I'd be credited anything I had to pay out of my own pocket. At check out, without ever bringing it back up, $20 was taken off of my bill. I was issued a new parking pass the next day which worked for the rest of the weekend.

We got a room with a claw foot tub. Not much of a bath guy, but I'd strongly reccomend this option to anyone staying at the hotel. So relaxing!

On our way out that night we stopped by the front desk and made reservations at "Toast" the restaurant connected to the hotel. Again, highly recommend going here. Although a bit pricier of a meal than I'm used to it was on my Top 3 meals of all time list...'nuff said.

Breakfast was also included in our room price so we took advantage of this every morning. Nothing overly exciting but for free it was great. Way more than you get at most complimentary breakfast buffets.

We were offered hand warmers every morning on our way out for the day of festivities. A nice touch from an already wonderful staff.

I could really ramble on and on, but if you are looking for a "home-y" place at a reasonable price in a great location filled with outgoing personable staff (and who isn't??), than stay here next time you're in Quebec!

Room Tip: Claw foot tub in room!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple