“Warm, Welcoming and Fabulous”

Hotel Chateau Bellevue
Ranked #26 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
New York City
“Warm, Welcoming and Fabulous”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel is nothing short of fabulous. I concur with all the wonderful things said by other reviewers. The main highlight for me was the warmth and charm of the hotel and its staff. Both the desk and housekeeping staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome and at home. My party was in three separate rooms and one of us was, shall we say, "high maintenance." The desk staff happily and good humoredly complied with all of her many requests, from carrying her bags to helping her walk over icy spots on the way to the car. When we got back to the hotel at night, we were encouraged to relax for a bit and have some hot chocolate (by the way, the included continental breakfast and 24 hour coffee, juice and fruit are wonderful perks--I particularly loved the expresso which came from a machine, but freshly ground the coffee beans.

As other reviewers have said, the hotel is very well located. The building is full of old world charm. I stayed in a standard double room and have to say that it was fine for me as a solos traveller, though, for two people, I'd find it too small and recommend one of the larger ans slightly higher priced rooms. Based on reviews here on TA, I knew to request a room above the beasement level, though I can't imagine any room in this hotel being bad. My only quibble is with the water pressure in my room which was too low. Maybe, that is something that is not easily remedied and it won't, for a moment, keep me from returning to Chateau Bellevue on my next visit to QC.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank nycbee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This review is long overdue. We stayed there at the beginning of July but moved shortly afterward so it took a while to get settled again. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel with friends from England. My husband and I had stayed there several years ago. A nice improvement is tables set up in the lobby for the included (and good) continental breakfast. Parking is now extra - but it was pretty amazing to have it included previously. Our experience was as nice as the first time. The staff are wonderful and the location is first rate - close to the Chateau Frontenac, with the river right in front. We had Bellevue rooms which looked out that way. So handy to be within the walls so you can easily return to your room for a little break or to drop off packages - and grab a complimentary cappuccino or other drink from the machine in the lobby. The price is very reasonable too, considering the location, inclusions and the fact that your car is parked close by and easily accessible.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a river view. There are basement rooms but I wouldn't want to...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bluewater_2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 November 2011

To start with the good - the location of this hotel is great. It's just across a small park from the Dufferin Terrace and right by the famous Chateau Frontenac. It’s on a quiet street and it's an easy level walk to many of the sights.

As to the hotel itself, firstly, don’t believe the lovely photos of the rooms on their website. I booked a Bellevue Room which looked bright and attractive in the photos. However the reality was a very small room that was extremely dark with dingy wallpaper and cheap furnishings. There was just one small window in the corner of the room which let in very little light as it was mostly blocked by the curtains even when they were pulled back (there were no curtain ties as shown in the hotel photo). I had to have all the lights on whenever in the room, even in the middle of the day. There was a comfortable armchair but the slope of the roof above made it difficult to get in and out of without banging your head and there was no space anywhere else in the small room to move it to. The bathroom was the tiniest I’ve ever had in a hotel with a very small bath. On the positive side, the bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. A brighter décor and a window blind that would let in more light would have made the room so much nicer to stay in.

The public part of the hotel was much better. The lobby/ breakfast room is bright with a nice sitting area where you can read newspapers and have free coffee, tea, hot chocolate and juice plus muffins and fruit all day. The wine dispenser at $6 a glass is also a great feature. Breakfast was reasonable although the pancakes were barely luke-warm. Another very welcome feature was free wifi internet which worked well in my room.

Service was variable. I had read that there were steep steps from the street up to the hotel entrance so I emailed to ask if I could have assistance with my suitcase when I arrived as I have mobility problems. I received a brusque answer directing me to use the back entrance where there’s a ramp. However a few days before my stay, I got a standard welcoming email saying “If there's anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable and rewarding, please contact us. E-mail your requests directly to us … we'll do our best to fulfill your wishes.” This was great so I emailed again to ask if someone could help me with my luggage but this time got no reply at all. Fortunately my cab driver was kind enough to carry my suitcase up the steps.

My welcome to the hotel was no friendlier. In fact, you couldn’t call it a welcome. The unfriendly man at the desk never once uttered any words of welcome; just took my details, handed me a key and turned away. I was relieved to find that the other staff were much more pleasant and there was someone on duty to help guests with their luggage the day I checked out.

Despite the good location, I wouldn’t stay here again unless I could be sure of getting a nicer, lighter room especially at the expensive rates charged.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ladybentley
New York, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed in Hotel Chateau Bellevue on 11/25/2011. It was a very nice experience. hotel is very nicely located just behind chateau fronterac and has a very nice view. rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. the staff were very helpful. Automatic vine dispenser in the lobby is very nice too (and you have free coffee as well).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Located right around the corner from Frontenac, steps to everything and yet on a quiet cozy street. Rooms are on smaller side, more like european size, but well appointed with quality furniture.
Priced very moderately for Quebec city...
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piramidon
Guilford, CT
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Great location and wonderful service. Able to walk to any part of Old Quebec and partake in the early Christmas season.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WigsGuilford
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The reason to stay here is the location. Wow! Everything in the old city is a reasonable walk. Small, clean rooms. Staff was helpful and spoke excellent English.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple