“the staff is very rude”

Hotel Royal William
Ranked #63 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We've stayed for one night in this hotel cause there was nothing else availiable in the city.The location is ok and rooms are nice and big. But opposite to our room there was a room full of kids having a party. It was noisy all the time and I called the reception to complain,but they didn't care. So we couldn't sleep at all,and other people as well,were knocking and shouting the whole night trying to stop the party. The staff didn't even apologize the next day,the said it's not their problem. Never had this kind of rude service in Quebec before!

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Location is ok. 15 minute walk to Old Quebec, which is where we spent most of our time. Room size was good and the bathroom was a good size too. Comfortable bed also. Reception staff were friendly and helpful and the AC worked well. Breakfast is ok at best. If you can, stay in Old Quebec, you do not need to leave that area for anything, especially good places to eat and drink.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed for two nights for a family trip. The rooms were spacious and clean. We could have used a few more pillows. We were surprised that breakfast was included and upgraded to eggs and bacon .. You need to pay extra for a upgrade from continental breakfast. We didn't mind and were happy with such a small bill. The walk to Old Quebec takes about 15 minutes but is all up hill. If you are traveling with older Adults or kids drive or take a cab.

The front desk staff was very nice and print directions for us several times. They were very helpful with suggestions when we had a rainy day.

I would recommend this hotel , but would not recommend walking to Old Quebec.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MaryCliftonPark
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel is now part of the Ascend brand under Choice Hotels. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful (they speak both French and English) located in a small lobby built for efficiency with underground parking across the street. This place is a short walk (5-10 minutes) to the free street elevator which takes you up to the old town, another 5-10 minutes away and around the corner. I was really impressed by how clean and well-kept this part of the city was. There is a huge green square (very modern design) right around the corner from the hotel with fountains and many places to just sit and enjoy the weather/view.
The room was big enough (probably owing to the 15-16 foot ceilings, something you don't see in hotels every day) with comfortable clean beds and large well-appointed bathrooms. Each room has a small fridge (former minibar) for general use as well as a DVD player with movies at the front desk--remember that you are in a French-speaking province, so of course some of the movies are in French! The Free breakfast (continental) in the adjacent restaurant each morning was small but satisfying, and the coffee they served was even better. You have the option of ordering something more substantial off the full menu, which made sense to me. Only strange thing about this place was the room climate control--Seems simple to operate, but you never quite figure out how it warms or cools the room--it just does it automatically, and I'm sure someone at the front desk would explain it, I never asked as we were comfortable with the temperature. A very good boutique hotel in a great downtown location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CR_Travels23
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night. It was extremely clean, very quiet (room 207) and a good price. The continental breakfast is not much and you will want to spend a few more dollars to upgrade your breakfast - from $2 to $6 all depending on what you choose. The only thing I did not like about this hotel is its location it was at least a 10 to 20 minute walk to Old Quebec all depending on where you want to start your visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed in a suite with a king bed and a large foldout couch in a separate area. The beds were perfectly comfortable and the quarters spacious. Nice clean bathroom. For the price we paid ($400), I expected nothing less.

My complaints: the couple sleeping in the sitting room were woken up several times by what was probably a large a/c unit kicking on and off (room 101). While the receptionists we dealt with were very pleasant, there was a mix-up about the roomrate.
The girl who checked us in quoted us a base room rate of $240 with a supplement of $20 per additional adult, which should have added up to a base rate of $280. However, the girl who checked us in added the additional adult supplements to the $280 figure. I don't think they were being dishonest. It was no doubt a communication problem, which I failed to catch. Bottom line: be sure about the agreed rate and double check the final bill.
Finally, the breakfast was really disappointing. The rate includes a continental "buffet" breakfast, to use the term of the receptionist, but what they don't tell you is that it consists of a few scraps of bread and paperr thin slices of cantelope for a menu value of $5. It's not a buffet at all. If you want anything else, you have to order from the menu at an additional cost. The quality of the food was poor. A few days earlier, we had stayed at L'Auberge de l'Autre Jardin just across the road, which offered a much more generous and delicious self-service buffet with all wholesome, organic fare. The rooms there were just as comfortable and spacious, and about half the price. See my up-coming review on them.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101, which can be noisy due to heavy machinery.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Phiby
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Booked on Expedia, just 5 mins before checking in. They already had me in the system. I was ranting to the receptionist about my day, and she was nice enough to polity listen. We then had a few laughs after wards. She really made me feel better about my terrible day. I don't recall her name, but she was blond and always smiling.

Hotel is about 15 mins from downtown, uphill thoght. If you are older or out of shape, you should take a cab to the touristsy area. Area was REAL QC and I felt very safe even at night. Lots of bus stations and payphones....looked like mostly clean cut college-aged folks roaming around with backpacks on.

Efficient check-in. Breakfast was quite pleasant. Room was spotless.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo