“Very exotic, highly rated, small menu, but amazing food!”

Chez Rioux & Pettigrew
Ranked #7 of 1,647 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$22 - US$34
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: If these stone walls could talk... These unwavering witnesses to the past would undoubtedly have delicious stories to tell. As they are not very talkative, they left a few clues behind. The tea tins, wooden boxes, old bottles and rice bags from another era recreate the ambiance of a general store, reminding us that food is part of a tradition at 160 Saint-Paul Street. With the creative cuisine of Chef Dominic Jacques, winner on the television show "Les chefs" in 2012, it has evolved from its humble beginnings as the Rioux and Pettigrew wholesale grocer to today's bistro-style restaurant. Inspired from our roots and flavors from abroad, its cuisine is authentic and creative. Rioux and Pettigrew's canned goods have given way to fresh, in season foods with mouth-watering savors. As for the aromas, once locked away in barrels, metal boxes or cotton bags, they now embalm the entire restaurant. Become part of our history. Take a look at our menu and let us charm you with timeless essences.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had arctic char with beurre blanc. Oh my goodness. I have never had anything like it. Wonderful. I warmly recommend this resto.

Date of visit: November 2018
ChezRiouxetPettigrew, Owner at Chez Rioux & Pettigrew, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for this beautiful comment. Do not hesitate to come back to perpetuate these experiences, we would be pleased to welcome you again, arctic char or not. Merci!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed November 7, 2018 via mobile

No wonder trip advisor has this as number #7 in Quebec. Perfect presentation of unique menu items, from the cheese appetizer to the wonderful beef main course. Be prepared to take a couple of hours, enjoy the restaurant and the very good wait staff.

Date of visit: November 2018

Your visit has been more than enjoyable for the whole team of Chez Rioux & Pettigrew. We are working very hard in order to keep on climbing the rankings and we won't stop offering you the best of us until we have reached the top! Merci beaucoup

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

The most amazing ceviche I’ve ever had! Enhanced by roasted root vegetables and fried corn kernels. Absolutely delicious. We ate so much we had to skip dessert.

Date of visit: July 2018

A wonderful comment which incites us to go the extra mile, and even more! We would be pleased to welcome you once more with the similar objective of offering you another memorable experience. Merci!

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Often when I travel alone, I eat at the hotel bar or find takeout. But on a cold rainy night in Quebec City, the restaurant in my hotel was closed, and there was really not much around. So many restaurants were closed as it was a Monday. So I ventured out stopping at the first decent place I saw. To say I got lucky is an understatement.
The place wasn’t packed but busy enough. The decor is rustic, Quebec kitsch, in a good way. The waiter was great. Chatty and friendly but not too much. Knowledgeable and ready to make suggestions without being pushy. And so it was that he talked me into ordering the Pettigrew special - both appetizer and main, which are chef’s pick and a surprise. I was not disappointed.
My appetizer was a plate of barely cooked scallops with a spicy sauce, crunchy corn and other interesting garnishes. The waiter brought me a lovely glass of rose as a perfect accompaniment.
My main was a study in lamb: lamb tongue, lamb chop, lamb stuffed tomato and a fondue Parmesan. He tongue was interesting and well prepared. The chop for me was under-rendered (too much white fat left) but the tomato rocked. All washed down with the Pinot Noir my waiter suggested, it was a very successful meal.
I passed on dessert- I hope to go back with my husband sometime when I can linger.

Date of visit: November 2018

It is always pleasant to see customers leave the restaurant with a smile on their face, but it is even more rewarding when we can see it following a nice comment like yours. Do no hesitate to visit us again, we have even more new discoveries and surprises for you with our Pettigrew menu! Merci!

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

We had an evening meal that was the favorite of us all, for food quality, ambience, freshness, hip modernity, and moderate noise level. We had the chefs choice, the bbq ribs, salmon, beet salad, among us and everything was sublime.

Date of visit: September 2018

It warms our heart to hear that you spent a pleasant moment in our restaurant. Chez Rioux & Pettigrew is always committed to go the extra mile to meet all your expectations, and we will keep on doing so for each and every one of your visits. Merci!