“Good hotel, but....”
Review of Le Champlain Hotel

Le Champlain Hotel
Ranked #16 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Our first impression was very positive. We had a reservation for a Superior Room view on the city for four days. We arrive at night, and during the check-in process the person of the front desk told us that due to a lack of rooms, they assign a Junior Suite for us at no additional charge (two levels up). That room was really nice and comfortable, with a king bed, a leaving room area with a nice sofa, a big LCD, fireplace, a small refrigerator and an incredible jacuzzi inside the room. The bathroom was nice and very modern.

Like a ping pong of sensations, after that very nice free upgrade, we noticed at the first use that the toilet was blocked, not very good when you arrive after a six hour drive at night. The people of the front desk rapidly solved the problem but the problem existed at the moment of our arrival.

On the next morning, we noticed that the unique elevator did not worked. OK, stairs for two floors. The very big news was that we never had the possibility to enjoy the service of that elevator during our entire stay, i.e. three days without elevator (including our check-out with our baggage). Nobody or any signal indicated when that circumstance would be solved.

This is the best. We parked our car in the parking of the hotel (for an additional CAD 19 per day). As the rules of the hotel says, the check-out has to be at 11.00AM. We checked-out at 11.00AM. We put our luggage in our car. When I tryied to exit the parking, a group of workers were loading big pipes on a truck, that was obstructing the exit. I kindly asked to move the truck because I had to leave. One of the guys, french speaker, told me something, I excuse myself because I do not speak french. In a couple of minutes a person of the front desk came to me saying (kindly) that they need at least half an hour. I insisted saying that I had to leave immediately because I had to be in Montreal at certain time. Not saying anything and showing her dissatisfaction, ordered the workers to move the truck. Is interesting to say that other two cars were in the same situation.

Objectively, the hotel is excellently located in the middle of the Upper Town of the Old Quebec, at walking distance of everything. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, very well served in a comfortable and nicely decorated room. As all the other people pointed out through Tripadvisor, there is an excellent expresso machine close to the front desk, available at any time. The crockery is perfect in the breakfast and for your expressos. The rate is very reasonable.

Finally, in the ground floor there is an ice machine and a microwave oven, perfect for your meal, of course allways if you are lucky with the elevator….

4  Thank SM-Travellers
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Bonjour,

Thank you for your review. As I can see, you were here when we had trouble with our elevator... This is a very rare situation and you were here when it happened. We apologize about this inconvenience.

This is why you've been upgraded, to avoid you to climb to many floors while the elevator was down. You were on the second floor, which was not so bad to reach by the staircase.

I'm sorry about the fact that nobody told us about the return in service of the elevator... it was just because we didn't know ourselves! Nobody expects an elevator to be suddenly down... We did the maximum to put it back in service as soon as possible! We put some extra employees on the schedule to help people with the luggage to compensate for the inconvenience... They were there to help you!

Regarding the truck blocking the entrance parking lot, I agree with you... This is unacceptable and I will make sure that kind of situation won't happened again. We always learn through our mistakes! I'm hoping that the disatisfaction of our employee was about the truck, not about you. I'll do the follow-up on that situation to understand what exactly happened...

I hope to see you back at the Champlain. I swear, the elevator is now back on service and it's functioning better than never!

Have a wonderful day,

Marc-André

Write a ReviewReviews (2,146)

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We booked a room with a fireplace and 2 queen beds, there was a curtain that you can pull across the room for additional privacy, that was the 1st time I've seen that in a hotel. Our room was clean, including the bathroom. The only thing I didnt like was the wallpaper, stare at it long enough and I felt like I was in a circus tent. However the decor didn't take away from the quality of the hotel.

Same comments with other TA reviewers about breakfast and a great coffee machine in the lobby. The breakfast room is small, however everyone seemed to find a spot. Customer service was very helpful, they assisted us with making reservations, answered all our questions about getting around and places to visit.

The lobby is very narrow, so is the hotel desk, the sitting room, the elevator and the hall corridors. Most of the streets are narrow in Old Quebec with several hills. It's a great walking city with many winding streets so wear comfortable shoes....you can walk for hours and miles and not be aware of the time..a lot like Europe. THere's a park across the street from the hotel, it's a bit steep to maneouver. The hotel is off the main road, you do have to walk for a few minutes to get to the main shopping area and restaurants.

Tiny parking lot - there may be 15-20 parking spots, if even. And it's very tight if you have an SUV like we did.

We had time to explore and we enjoyed discovering Old Quebec. We found it to be less commercialized than the old port at Montreal. Overall, a wonderful little hotel, excellent value and since we like to walk alot, the location was great for us.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maggie C

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to let us your impressions about our property... This is really important for us!

I'm glad to read that you liked the hotel... This is great! OK, I know you didn't like the wallpaper in the room... But it's always very hard to please everybody in terms of decor... This is a question of taste!

The most important thing for most people is the comfort, the amenities, the service and the cleanliness of the room. which was right during your stay, isn't it?

Regarding parking, our places are limited, it's why is always very important to reserve it in advance. It's always better as well to specify that you have a large vehicule. We will reserve the perfect spot for the type of vehicule you have.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is a great little hotel in Old Quebec that I would definitely recommend. The room was clean, smelt reaally nice, the bed was a little hard but not that bad, and the location was great - near everything in Old Quebec but a little out of the way so it wasn't noisy at all. The breakfast was fantastic (loved the cretons to eat with my bagel) the 24hr coffee was excellent and the service was great. I would definitely stay here for a leisure visit. I was only in town for one night for work and when looking for accomodations I didn't want to stay in a chain hotel and so after reading reviews on this website went for it. Do not regret. The only regret I have is that I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pinkdork

Bonjour,

I enjoyed your review very much when I read it... What could I say more when the guest is telling us that its only regret was to be with us for only 1 night? For me, it's wonderful news... This means to me that you will come back and stay longer next time! What to expect more?

We definitively keep the cretons for you on the menu! Don't hesitate to ask for more next time! Bagel and cretons in the morning with a café latté from our machine is just perfect to start your day!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed in the standard room. It was perfect. The 24hrs coffee machine in the lobby came in handy, (espresso, cappucino, all kids of tea's). The staff were very friendly. The complimentary breakfast was just right. I would absolutley stay here again.

Bonjour,

Thank you for this really nice review. This is very much appreciated! Next time, do not hesitate to give us a rating of 5 on 5... If we don't deserve it, please tell us why, our aim is to improve constantly ourselves!

You stayed in standard room, which is very affordable for the quality. Next time, you should reserve instead a superior room... For around $20 more per night, you may get an upgraded room with a superb view of the Old-Town.

Looking forward to be your host again,

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have been to the Champlain twice now and it will be the hotel we come back to everytime we visit the great city of Quebec. The staff are friendly and helpful, the coffee and breakfast are delicious and the room we have had is really special. Please note that we have had the same great room (#46) both times as we request it when making our reservation.

Things to remember:
-If you want a room with a view, ask for one. Some rooms do not have a view.
-If you are driving, reserve parking. It is limited and there is not much room for oversized cars.
-The location is fantastic so once you park the car....Leave it there! The walking is great and the staff will help you with directions and things to see.
-At the time I am writing this, the ratings for this hotel are 302 very good or excellent to 14 poor or terrible. That means that only 1 in ~23 people did not like their stay (or they are just grouchy!). We feel that this ratio speaks for itself. This is a great hotel, at a great value and we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rickwint3
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Bonjour!

Thank you for your loyalty... As I may see, you are now a frequent traveler to our property! It's always nice to see people coming back to the Champlain Hotel, this is a sign of good customer service and a nice appreciation of our product... Thanks again!

I agree with all the tips you are giving to the other travelers in your review. We have standard rooms, which are usually less expensive, but they don't have any view overlooking the city... For around $20 more, people can easily upgrade their reservation to a superior room (or any bigger room) to get a magnificent view of the Old Town.

The city is easily walkable, the car can stay in the parking lot for all your stay! You recommend to the other travelers to reserve a parking place, which the best way to guarantee a spot for your vehicule and to put away all the trouble to find parking within the walls which is never obvious, especially during high season.

I think now we should rename suite 46 by your name! Are you going to ask the same room again for your next stay? It will be a pleasure to offer you the same!

Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four days on our first trip to Old Quebec. The room was European style (small, clean, and quaint) with a nice view of the street. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and the availability of hot beverages in the lobby at all times. We were within walking distance of all of the amenities of Old Quebec. Overall, it was a great stay. One thing I would recommend is purchasing the 19 dollar a day parking pass from the hotel as there is no available parking otherwise.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Bonjour,

Thank you very much for this excellent rating of 5!! This is a perfect score, we cannot ask for more!

You are totally right, everything from the hotel is walkable... There is no need to use your car! As you did yourself, I recommend to everybody to reserve a parking spot before checking in to the hotel. Parking spaces are limited, but very in demand by our guests. It's always better to have a spot reserved to get your mind free!

Parking is $16,50 prior to taxes, which is $19 taxes included.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great location for walking around Quebec city. Whole family had a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Bonjour,

Thank you much for choosing the Champlain during your last stay to Quebec City. I'm pleased you received a good service from our staff, this is really important for us!

We are a family hotel, this is nice that everybody from your family enjoyed their stay among us!