“Dissapointing”

Ranked #70 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Chateauguay
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We booked two rooms last minute at the Hotel de Nord for St-Jean-Baptist. We booked the suite, which we were told was the nicest room in the hotel and my friend booked a room. We found out pretty quickly the hotel is situated in a really ghetto part of town where the locals call "la basse ville". I saw quite a few prostitutes hanging around... Upon arrival to the hotel, the smell of the salt water pool is over-powering. We werent offered any help with our luggage and it was hot! The hotel does not have air-conditioning! Only A/C in the rooms...and in my suite it was only in the living room area so I almost died of heat during the night!! The air contioning isnt central. The breakfast was o.k.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank helena_pawl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I tried speaking French and they didn't appreciate my efforts instead became impatient and arrogant. With the exception of one lady who was originally from France and was a teacher, this staff had never heard of customer service. I was given the runaround from day 1. The phone in the room was not hooked up to be used, neither was the television. The lamp shade was thin and had holes in it from the heated light bulb. This was supposed to be a completely renovated hotel. With the exception of the imaculately clean bathroom and well done bed, under the bed was full of dust, therefore bad for allergies. They had no remote controls that worked nor batteries to replace the ones that were not working. When I brought this to their attention they basically had the attitude "oh well".. en francais of course... had to loose my temper to get any service. Unfortunately, when I had been fed up that is when they decided to finally fix the remote control. Every time I'd go up to the counter I was treated with impatience as if I were bothering them right from the start before even discovering any problems. With regards to the lousy service I was told not to worry I wouldn't be charged for the 2 nights I had problems. However, upon checkout, I was charged the full price.

The breakfast was adequate. Continental. However, they ran out of cuttlery and napkins constantly and were not always replaced. As well you had to clean up after yourself afterwards.

The price was right and they had internet service but not all email sites were accessible. The pool was cute and refreshing. They have a fantastic little hotel not too far from downtown, about a 50min. walk, but they could stand to be better equiped to deal with guests as they had the attitude that guests were an annoyance rather than their livlihood.

Would I recommend staying there? Not a chance as there are so many hotels in the old part of town that even if the service is just as bad the distance is definately a time saver.

• Liked — the pool and the bathroom
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Maine
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Staff was very friendly upon arrival and during the length of our stay. We stayed in a junior suite and it was roomy. There is no elevator, which may have posed a problem if we could not carry our luggage to the third floor. The hall was very narrow as well.

I would not say the surrounding area was very nice, and glad we drove to the Old City, in minutes, from the hotel. Each day we noticed a homeless man in the parking lot going through the garbage collecting bottles and food. There were some sketchy people in the area, but we never felt threatened. Although, I did not want my teenager going out alone at night in the neighborhood.

Breakfast was a loaf of bread on the counter in it's plastic bag, not very good muffins and crossiants, cereal, coffee and juice. It would have been much better with some fruit choices and yogurt. Breakfast upgrade do would do wonders for this hotel. I saw many disappointed faces in the breakfast room.

It seemed everything in the hotel was done at the minimum. From the lack of a towel bar in the bathroom to the lack of cleaning under the bed. The tile floor in the pool area was extremely slippery when wet.

Would recommend this hotel to people on a budget.

• Liked — Rate
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Montreal
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend. It was okay, not more. It is 5 minutes from Old Quebec, by car, which is okay because there is not much trouble/traffic getting into Old Quebec. The staff is super nice, but we brought our own luggage upstairs ( no elevator) which is okay, but when I asked for the extra cot, as per our reservation, I was handed a mattress (and no pillow) to carry upstairs myself. Over the two nights, and although I asked twice, we never got the pillow so had to improvise with a rolled-up blanket. One staff member was sorry for this, and gave us a $15 rebate at check-out. I think they do not have enough staff. The breakfast was ordinary (bread, croissants, limited choice of muffins, and cereal, coffee and orange juice), but appreciated. For the price, the hotel was all right, not more.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Love2travel-Mtl

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

uk
Reviewed 2 July 2008

i booked this hotel via. laterooms.com although the hotel was not sure about the website. I got an awful room and it was changed but not until the next day and then it was a next to the ice machine so not quiet!!!! The swimming pool is nice and so are some of the reception staff. However, my french isn't that strong and the staff were very unhelpful in organising whale bus tour or trying to give me directions.

Buses take for ages and if you add up the price of the cabs you can stay in a much nicer central hotel.

If you have your own car, can speak french well and like staying in an updated hostel this is fine. However, if you like hostels - stay in the one in old quebec (comes highly recomended from a person I met staying there) or treat yourself and stay in a hotel in old quebec - when I got stuck I went to those receptions and staff were really nice.

Stayed June 2008
MA
Reviewed 1 January 2007

This is a great, basic, affordable hotel in Quebec City. While it is not right in the center of tourist activities, there are cabs/buses nearby and if you enjoy walking you can get to the Old City in about 20-30 minutes. Very friendly hotel staff. I stayed there during low season and was given a suite for the cost of a regular room. If you just need a clean place to sleep, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2003, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Member83
Miami
Reviewed 23 February 2006

I just got back from Canada. Quebec City to be exact, and my trip was excellent. I stayed at Hotel Du Nord. From the moment the taxi dropped us off at the front door of the hotel there was nothing but excellent service. When I arrived at the hotel one of the young ladies carried my very heavy luggage up the stairs to my room. That on its own was very impressive service.
The ladies at the front desk were very helpful, and by me being a tourist and not knowing how to get around Quebec City it was very important for me to ask questions. They took their time in answering all my questions and gave me excellent directions. This hotel is very clean and they just remodeled the lobby, which looks GREAT, its got a ZEN feel to it.Its also affordable.The rooms were clean and housekeeping was great. The owner even took time to chat with us, which is not a very common thing. My stay in Canada was great and my stay at this hotel was great as well.

5 Thank Funintesun