“Normal Guest house”
Review of B&B l'Abat-Jour

B&B l'Abat-Jour
Ranked #96 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2016

If you looking for airbnb for entire apartment , so beware this is a lodge not a separate apartment. We booked thinking as above , however the stay was okey. It was just a normal room with kitchen and bath and nothing special about it. the house was little smelly when you enter. Our was at first floor. the owner was courteous though and offered breakfast next morning.So over all and average rating for such price.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 September 2015

Sloppy room, no airco, no tv, super small beds, no space, no blankets for the sofabed. The walls were covered in sawdust, unbelievable. Bad neighborhood. We payed 40% (!!!) more than the price advertised, be sure to read the fine print!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruben F
Reviewed 7 September 2015

I stayed for four nights and the room was spacious, everything was clean and breakfasts were included and varied from day to day. Ahmed is a very good host. He does go out of his way to make sure you are happy and well informed. If you do not know what time you will arrive, then you may have to wait for a while, as he may be out or even stuck in a traffic jam. Nevertheless, it is worth it.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2015

I made a reservation on booking.com for 2 nights. The price was 200 CAD including taxes, but it was for a room with shared bath. Since I wanted a private bath if possible, I called the hotel directly. The owner told me he had such a room, to cancel my booking.com reservation, and that the price would be 110 CAD/night including tax. I gave him my credit card number and email address- he told me he'd send a confirmation. Later that day, I'd not received a confirmation, so I telephoned again. I received an email this time that confirmed the dates, and the room type, but not the price. So, I emailed him back asking him to confirm the price, 110CAD/night. I received a return email saying that the price was confirmed.

My wife and I arrived at the B&B at about 4pm and found no one. We called and were told to wait, which we did on a very hot day for about 25 minutes or so. By the way, the street is in a down on its luck residential area and is dug up due to construction.
When we finally entered with the owner, he told me he had no record of our reservation. I recounted the emails and phone calls and he told me he had no recollection of any of it. I told him the price we'd agreed on and he refused to believe me, and told me I was mistaken. So, I opened my computer and showed him his own emails- AND HE STILL REFUSED TO BELIEVE ME!

But then he tells us that we're in luck, he has one room open but with shared bath. We went upstairs to a fairly gross little room across the hall from a tiny shared bathroom which he offers to give us for 110CAD PLUS TAX/ night. We'd driven a long way and were exhausted plus we didn't love the prospect of having to find another place to stay at the last minute. I told him I'd take it if he could give us a better price, at least equal to what he'd asked for the larger room with private bath. He refused.

He basically threw us out with a story that he was leaving for Montreal that very second. We sat in the car searching online for local hotels and it was after 1/2 hour that he finally appeared.

We ended up with a beautiful hotel just a 3 minute walk from the walls of the old city for virtually the same price as was originally agreed to in this creepy place located so far away from everywhere you'd like to be.

DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS WE DID. This guy is a creep, stay away!!!!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Robert722
Reviewed 18 July 2015

After staying several nights in the sister property, B&B St. Louis, my son and I spent a night at L'abat-jour. It's an easy 5-minute drive or short bus ride from Old Quebec and situated in a residential neighborhood with a beautiful park right down the street. It's run by a couple, Monsieur and Madame Balti, who were friendly, helpful and served wonderful breakfasts at a table you share with travelers from all over. Excellent value!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank JeffNewHampshire_USA
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Tired of the generic and wanting to share a more intimate environment with my daughter, I chose this bed and breakfast for our recent stay in Quebec City.
You will not find a kinder or more welcoming host than Ahmed. "My house is your house" is his mantra and it was proven at every turn.... The breakfasts were lovingly and proudly homemade... The strawberry jam was my favorite! The simple omelet was perfectly done but the very best was Ahmed's coffee! I usually travel with my own little coffee maker and my freshly ground Sumatra beans but I left these at home, hoping for the best.... And that is what I got!!

To be fair, the towels are well used and quaintly unmatched, maybe like your favorite grandmother's! There is a plastic overlay on the dining room table but with my 10 year old, I was glad for this! But the house was quiet and our downstairs room (1st on left) was nice and cool in the August heat. My daughter said it felt like home. And she also loved Ahmed, despite her shyness with him. I have his granddaughters email connection and as both girls play piano quite well, we will email and stay in touch.

Staying here was like finding another family! We will never forget you!!

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms if they are available.... Then you can decide.... And if you're too fussy...