“Fun, off the beaten track”
Review of Le Cafe du Monde

Le Cafe du Monde
Ranked #88 of 1,637 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Great restaurant with interesting menu and excellent service. Reasonably priced food with lots of choices. Attentive staff. Great view of the harbour, and in particular on the night we were there the departing Queen Mary 2.

1  Thank Gregory A

Reviewed September 23, 2018

We came here for a light dinner on the recommendation of our hotel. We had just arrived in Quebec City and were tired and peckish but didn't want a massive dinner. Cafe du Monde fitted the bill perfectly. We opted for a Lobster and shrimp roll and a small fish and chips. Both were excellent choices and we would highly recommend. The waiter was very attentive and the ambiance very pleasant. It was quite late when we got there so relatively quiet. I would expect at peak times reservations would be essential.

1  Thank Chrisandmike186317
Reviewed September 17, 2018

If you’re looking for an authentic French Bistro experience without having to pay the same that would equal a flight to Paris this is it.

The venue is superb and offers views of the River and as mentioned in other reviews there is a cool Cirque du Soleil training institute that can be viewed from the restaurant-nice treat.

Now, as a few reviews have mentioned- when the cruise boats are in it can be busy but a reservation will ensure a great table.

The menu has a wonderful table d’hôte as well as a full menu-the wine list is also impressive.

The food was fabulous and all eight of my party, from all over North America, agreed.

This bistro has also been recommended by my friends from France, and Quebec City.

So, please treat yourself and give this place a try. Québec is my home and this is one of my favourite places to eat.

1  Thank Lio-and-Ben
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

The hostesses were very rude. We were in line at their station and when it was our turn, the phone rang, and she didn’t say excuse me; she didn’t look at us and hold up a finger; she didn’t even smile in acknowledgement. She acted as if we were invisible.
The hostess right next to her finished with her customer, and instead of helping us, she waved the people behind us to step up. We waited and waited. Finally she hung up, and told us a 40 minute wait. We asked if we could get a drink if we waited at the bar right behind her stand. She said yes. A few minutes later, I asked the other hostess if we could look at a menu while we waited. She didn’t speak or smile, she just silently handed it to me as if I were bothering her, and she didn’t give me the extra page with the day’s Specials.
Our “40 minute wait” was 15 minutes, and no one ever took our drink order. Even though we specifically asked the hostess about it, and we were only feet from her and she saw that we weren’t getting service, she ignored us.
The waiter and the food was fine, but they had a big problem running the food to the tables. The kitchen had dozens of plates of food ready, sitting under warming lights or cooling shelves, and it all just sat there. People waited and waited at their table for their food while their food sat waiting to be delivered.
This was last Saturday night, and they were busy, but they obviously had serious issues.

1  Thank Cabby B
Christopher M, Responsable relations clients at Le Cafe du Monde, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

Hi,

Thank you for leaving a review. We are very sorry to read about your unpleasant experience and we understand your disappointment. Indeed, we were understaffed because school has started, but it does not excuse the way you were welcomed and the delay of our service.

Once again, we are very sorry for what happened. The situation is unusual and we really hope you'll give us another chance to prove to you better.

Have a great day!

Reviewed September 12, 2018

I have always intended to go here, and this trip I finally did. It was packed because a cruise ship was in port, but it helped that we had a reservation. I thought the view to the river was very nice, but it was very noisy. Our food was good, not great.

1  Thank annpriv