New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Summerland
“Adequate.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed in the Hotel Senator for a week while in Saskatoon by myself on business. I arrived on Saturday, and the first night was bad. Someone outside was smoking pot and the hotel itself smelled old -- like years of wood polish. During the night the guy next door got up at 4 and and again at 6 and threw up loudly in his washroom, which sounded like it was right behind my headboard. It wasn't a good first experience.

The rest of the week went much better. The front counter staff were friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff do a good job. This is an OLD hotel, but it has a lot of character and charm to it. I even got used to the smell of all that wood polish. Everyone who works there is trying to make it shine. That said, it could use some updating. The room I was in was showing its age. I was encouraged to see that they appeared to be preparing for some major renovations to the hallway downstairs, just as I was leaving. I don't know to what extent the renovations were planned, but it would need to extend into the rooms to really affect my rating.

The pub downstairs was also nice. It was a good place for a quick dinner or to catch a game. Again, the staff and patrons were friendly, and there were many different beers on tap to choose from.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere (relatively) inexpensive to stay in downtown Saskatoon. I would not recommend it for romantic getaways or for children, as, from what I could see, it offered little to entertain them.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VoxPop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

We just got back from the hotel senator in saskatoon from a monday night booking. The hotel has a nice quaint feel about it, but from the get go, the customer service resembled something I would see in a understaffed fast food restaurant. We pulled into the makeshift parking lot where a lady got out of a car, looked at us funny and proceeded to enter the hotel. Once inside the hotel, we realized she was the front desk attendant. She then proceeded to tell us to go a move our vehicle as it wasn't supposed to be parked where we parked it (at the back of the stall instead of all the way up). Why didn't she tell us this when she saw me pull in in the first place???

Next we got the key to go up to our room. The hotel is under major renovations as evident from the wires hanging from the ceiling. When we got into the room, we immediatly noticed the toilete running over and over again. I went to the front desk to see if it could be fixed (it was very loud in the small room). The front desk attendant from before along with the front desk manager said (rather abruptly) that all the maintenance staff had left. I asked for another room, and they both got snarky. They finally agreed to look for another room for me. Apparantly there was only one other room in "my payscale". A new room they showed us (or actually made me go a look at myself) was freezing cold. They also would not turn on the heat to the room (and evidently the entire hotel) as it might make other guests too hot.

I guess in the long run, if it wasn't for the crappy attitudes, the lack of trying and the fixtures in the rooms breaking....it would have been lovely! Too bad....I was really looking forward to the stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank macdaddytravellor
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
We do take all customer feedback very seriously. Parking in any dowtown is always an issue and we provide *FREE* parking to all guest first come, first available. On one side we require guests to double park and manage parking that way as we have 16 stall which is never a problem if guest don't take *TWO STALL!*. It very obvious, but some guests have to be reminded to pull all the way forward. This is free parking and we would like to keep it that way for all our guests. As for renovations, this guest was declined to upgrade room class and did want to stay in the original room booked which we are finishing renovations on this floors hallways. Brand new state of the art heating/air conditioning green key leeds upgrade, heating and air definatly works in that room very well as it was just put in last month.

Staff attitude has been looked into (people sometimes don't like to be directed to pull up their vehicles) and we always strive to provide a great experience at the Hotel Senator.

We are always improving our property and striving to provide and improve customer stays and experiences and appreciate all feedback.

Safe Travels!

Chris Beavis
Hotel Senator
General Manager/Owner

Travellers are raving about these Saskatoon hotels

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

The Hotel was undergoing renovations, so the darkened hallways looked a little spooky and smelled a little old. The rooms were fantastic though, with high ceilings, great linens, and a strong internet connection. The noise travels easily from the hallways or street into the rooms, so bear this in mind where you are there during the summertime when the street may see more action. No fridge in room, so we used the windowsill (as you can, in winter...) Very clean, good staff. Great pub downstairs with great atmosphere and great food. The downtown seems to close up early, but this worked just fine, as the pub and hotel met all our needs for this one night stop.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MagnoliaVancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

This is a cute boutique hotel right downtown. I knew the hotel was built in different times to different standards. I expected a smaller room, as many older hotels had to use some of the floor space to put in ensuite bathroom. The room was clean, charming and restful.

I asked for a room away from the bar and was not disturbed at all. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2010
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

Even during renovations, staff were very good. Victorian feel, marble, statues, lamps in the hallways.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Good: The location of the hotel is great. Next to everything.

Bad: The rooms are shockingly small, the walls are paper thin and the carpet is older than I am. I do not recommend this place for couples, families or anyone but bachelor men. This is more a hostel than a hotel.

As I tried to sleep, I could clearly hear people walking around & some woman coughing all night.

There is a pub in the hotel...which is very noisy and it inevitably leads to drunk people under your window in the middle of the night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Swift Current, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

The room has everything you need and is exceptionally clean. Beds are comfortable and the shower pressure ROCKS!! The marble, wood and plaster work is beautiful. The restaurant has great food at very reasonable prices with great service and "antique" or original decorations. The stair case from the lobby and the restaurant is worth taking pictures of. The location is right down town and although the parking is cramped the parking lot is well lit and I had no worries about leaving my car there. I stayed in a single room and yes it was a bit small but not at all uncomfortable. I can't wait to stay there again!! LOVED IT!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business