“Perfect location and price!”

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Moose Jaw, Canada
“Perfect location and price!”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Rooms clean. Staff very polite. Rooms may seem small if thats important to you. Beds very comforatable. You can walk everywhere downtown from this spot as it is in the heart of downtown. Parking available for free. Perfect for 3 women down for shopping and the theatre!

Room Tip: DId not have any noise problems. There is a pub connected to the hotel but we didn't hear anythi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Pluses: wide comfortable bed, quiet room, immaculately clean, excellent water pressure in shower, attractive paintings throughout hallways, dining room gorgeous place to eat breakfast (at dinnertime, it's expensive, with gourmet selections), excellent bar/grill with delicious buffaloburgers, courteous service (on checkin, clerk asked me if I wanted a quiet room in back with view of parking garage or noisier room with nice street view (I picked the former), good location accessible by bus lines. Minuses: little desk space in room (the bed dominates the space), internet connection on the free computer provided for that was often not working.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank EJW8191
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I love staying in this old hotel. The interior is a little creepy but fabulous at the same time. While this hotel is not the hilton, it is always clean! The beds are comfortable and have great bedding. I also love the English pub downstairs where you have a selection of ~40 different kegs. Very close to all the downtown ammenities, shopping, dining, TCU place, etc. I will be going there again this month.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Want2BWarm
Meadow Lake, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I love old buildings and I was so excited to stay here. My husband on the other hand wasn't so thrilled. He acctually parked the car at his brother's hotel and we took a cab in order to avoid the rediculous parking (somthing that should be made a bit clearer by the hotel) which required double parking! The lobby is lovely and restored well, however the first floor hallway which was under FULL renovation was just plain scary with hanging electrical wires, no ceiling, only two table lamps for lighting and dibris everywhere! It looked like a scene from a bad horror movie.
That being said the room while small (which was expected from the discription) was clean, and the bed was heaven to sleep on. The door to the room was a bit out of place being a commercial steel door. Overall I would like to stay here once the renos are all done and I think the price should be lowered a bit to reflect the renos taking place on floors still being used for guests and the hotel should inform people booking rooms that the floor they will be staying on is under renovation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah J
Summerland
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed in the Hotel Senator for a week while in Saskatoon by myself on business. I arrived on Saturday, and the first night was bad. Someone outside was smoking pot and the hotel itself smelled old -- like years of wood polish. During the night the guy next door got up at 4 and and again at 6 and threw up loudly in his washroom, which sounded like it was right behind my headboard. It wasn't a good first experience.

The rest of the week went much better. The front counter staff were friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff do a good job. This is an OLD hotel, but it has a lot of character and charm to it. I even got used to the smell of all that wood polish. Everyone who works there is trying to make it shine. That said, it could use some updating. The room I was in was showing its age. I was encouraged to see that they appeared to be preparing for some major renovations to the hallway downstairs, just as I was leaving. I don't know to what extent the renovations were planned, but it would need to extend into the rooms to really affect my rating.

The pub downstairs was also nice. It was a good place for a quick dinner or to catch a game. Again, the staff and patrons were friendly, and there were many different beers on tap to choose from.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere (relatively) inexpensive to stay in downtown Saskatoon. I would not recommend it for romantic getaways or for children, as, from what I could see, it offered little to entertain them.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VoxPop
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We just got back from the hotel senator in saskatoon from a monday night booking. The hotel has a nice quaint feel about it, but from the get go, the customer service resembled something I would see in a understaffed fast food restaurant. We pulled into the makeshift parking lot where a lady got out of a car, looked at us funny and proceeded to enter the hotel. Once inside the hotel, we realized she was the front desk attendant. She then proceeded to tell us to go a move our vehicle as it wasn't supposed to be parked where we parked it (at the back of the stall instead of all the way up). Why didn't she tell us this when she saw me pull in in the first place???

Next we got the key to go up to our room. The hotel is under major renovations as evident from the wires hanging from the ceiling. When we got into the room, we immediatly noticed the toilete running over and over again. I went to the front desk to see if it could be fixed (it was very loud in the small room). The front desk attendant from before along with the front desk manager said (rather abruptly) that all the maintenance staff had left. I asked for another room, and they both got snarky. They finally agreed to look for another room for me. Apparantly there was only one other room in "my payscale". A new room they showed us (or actually made me go a look at myself) was freezing cold. They also would not turn on the heat to the room (and evidently the entire hotel) as it might make other guests too hot.

I guess in the long run, if it wasn't for the crappy attitudes, the lack of trying and the fixtures in the rooms breaking....it would have been lovely! Too bad....I was really looking forward to the stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank macdaddytravellor
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
We do take all customer feedback very seriously. Parking in any dowtown is always an issue and we provide *FREE* parking to all guest first come, first available. On one side we require guests to double park and manage parking that way as we have 16 stall which is never a problem if guest don't take *TWO STALL!*. It very obvious, but some guests have to be reminded to pull all the way forward. This is free parking and we would like to keep it that way for all our guests. As for renovations, this guest was declined to upgrade room class and did want to stay in the original room booked which we are finishing renovations on this floors hallways. Brand new state of the art heating/air conditioning green key leeds upgrade, heating and air definatly works in that room very well as it was just put in last month.

Staff attitude has been looked into (people sometimes don't like to be directed to pull up their vehicles) and we always strive to provide a great experience at the Hotel Senator.

We are always improving our property and striving to provide and improve customer stays and experiences and appreciate all feedback.

Safe Travels!

Chris Beavis
Hotel Senator
General Manager/Owner

Travellers are raving about these Saskatoon hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 3 April 2011

The Hotel was undergoing renovations, so the darkened hallways looked a little spooky and smelled a little old. The rooms were fantastic though, with high ceilings, great linens, and a strong internet connection. The noise travels easily from the hallways or street into the rooms, so bear this in mind where you are there during the summertime when the street may see more action. No fridge in room, so we used the windowsill (as you can, in winter...) Very clean, good staff. Great pub downstairs with great atmosphere and great food. The downtown seems to close up early, but this worked just fine, as the pub and hotel met all our needs for this one night stop.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business