All reviews shark club denny's attached bar attached shuttle service lots of parking short stay exercise room enjoyed my stay up to date nice room convenient location regina microwave couch hospital
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Best place to stay while in Saskatoon.
Nice hotel. Shark club is awesome. Denny's inside also. Lots of other places to eat close by.
Close to airport.
Stayed here many times and try to every time I come here. Usually booked if you wait till last minute.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2012

If I had to guess, Sandman doesn't own this property. It's not the standard of their other locations. This one is way down there. That said, you can always find good things, even in bad places. So let's start with those.

The bathroom amenities (shampoo, soap, etc.) are good quality. Not one, but two chain restaurant/bars are attached to the hotel. You'll know right away whether you want to eat here or not and don't have to worry about experimenting with menus. The lobby is well appointed and inviting. Front desk staff were courteous. But it kind of ends there.

We walked into our room which could have been mistaken for a nice sized walk in closet. It's not of the size that two adults can move around at the same time. I had to sit while my wife got organized, and vice versa. Decor, while in reasonable state of repair, was a dreary green/brown brocade reminiscent of a previous century. The walls were dark, and dark cherrywood furniture served to darken it even more. Even with every light in the room turned on, it was dark and repressive.

The heat was sweltering. The air conditioner had been decommissioned for the season, and covered with a cheap vinyl cover. A window opens, but only marginally, and there's no airflow in the room anyway. So we slept virtually uncovered in a very uncomfortable Ed (very soft). The TV is old and out of focus, and there seems to be a problem with the cable service. Ghost images make it difficult to watch.

The bathroom was tiny. No countertop for your toiletries, toilet paper roll under your armpit attached to the tiny vanity. You have to straddle the toilet to close the door.

Outdoor noise was fairly high. It's a busy intersection in a less than desirable area. And idling diesel trucks warming in the morning cut the troubled sleep short in any case.

My advice is to ALWAYS read reviews from TripAdvisor BEFORE making your reservation. Your traveling peers will let you know about shortcomings. We didn't do that, and relied on the brand name. This property demonstrates that there can be a sows ear in every decent brand.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Mort69
Beverley G, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share valued feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not creating a positive and memorable experience during your previous stay. Your comfort and satisfaction is important to us and we certainly did not leave you with a valued impression.

The Sandman Hotel, Saskatoon has many room type categories to choose from. We could of extended the option of choosing a more spacious guestroom to better accommodate your needs.

We are also very pleased to announce renovations in the near future!

My apologies again. It is our wish you will afford The Sandman Hotel, Saskatoon the opportunity to host your future hotel stays.

Best regards,
Beverley

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Like this place. Good quality sleep, quiet place. Room is very big for 150$. Even get a love seat couch + seperate 1 seat couch. The only down side is the washroom that is very basic with cheap old fixture. The Shark club has great looking and cheerful staff that worth the detour! Dennis restaurant does great for breakfast. Very close to airport and business district

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I booked my stay for a Holiday rate of $99, which is a good value in the city. I inquired at the time of my booking if they had Airport Shuttle service. I was assured that they did. Upon check-in I requested a 5 a.m. shuttle ride, and was told there would be no problem.
However, in the morning, upon check out the front desk told me I had no shuttle request booked, nor did they offer such service. Another guest who was waiting to check out told me she had also requested shuttle service, but had been told Sandman only offered it after 8 a.m.
She and I shared a cab to the airport.

Room Tip: The adjoining Denny's restaurant had great food, good value and very good service. I will be staying at the Days Inn, Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express the next time I want to have a room with shuttle service. No complimentary breakfast here, either. L
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LCDL
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and I frequent Saskatoon quite often, and when we do, we stay at the Sandman. The rooms have always been clean and fresh. Its not in the best area for tourism, its right by the airport, and there is a country bar across the street. The denny's and the shark club bar that are attached to the hotel are great, and extremely convenient. I have never had any issues with the staff there, they have always been polite and accommodating, Its a decent price, and I wouldn't think twice about going there again! Unlike some of the previous comments, I have not seen any 'sketchy' people around, or have been even remotely worried about going to my car alone at night.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple