“Great coffee, scones and warm atmosphere!”

The Underground Cafe
Ranked #7 of 18 Coffee & Tea in Saskatoon
Price range: US$4 - US$9
Description: The Underground Cafe is an indie coffee shop by day and a live music/event space by night. Specializing in great coffee, lunch and Karaoke parties!
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Very friendly staff, great coffee (we had the Cortado) and a delicious savory scone. We saw a lot of delicious breakfast dishes coming out. Next time we’ll get one of those for sure! We love these local cafes with homemade food and fresh pulled espresso shots. Well done Underground Cafe!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed July 30, 2018

Having discovered the Spanish Cortado in Barcelona, was missing this version of strong coffee in Saskatoon. Somewhere in strength between straight espresso and a good cappuccino. The Underground takes me back to Barcelona.
I'm going to miss my favourite sammies from the old menu, but can't wait to try the new ones with new bakery breads.... soups and salads never disappoint. And waffles.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 21, 2018

Nice clean place. Service was very friendly. I had the chickpea soup and the Bonham sandwich and both were decent.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

Was going to be in the neighbourhood today so thought I would try this place out. It's a cute, interestingly decorated, reasonable sized space. The menu is on an overhead chalkboard. You order your food at the till and someone brings your food to you. I, like a previous reviewer contemplated the tipping after having done so. I had paid using debit and it seemed like you were kind of forced to tip. After I sat down and thought about it, I didn't really appreciate that. I may be wrong. Maybe I just have to look closer. I don't remember the name of the Panini that I ordered but it had eggplant, zucchini and artichoke in it. I thought with those types of vegetables the sandwich would have to be soggy but I was assured that it would not be. After asking, I was told the bread is supplied by Nester's bakery down the street. I know Nester's has been around for a long time but the bread looked like basic white sandwich bread to me. I received the soup and sandwich soon after ordering. I was disappointed by the lack of 'heft' in the sandwich. As I had thought, the bread was disappointing. Even if it had a little bit of rosemary in it, it's flimsy non-nutritious bread. I'm more accustomed to eating whole-grain and artisanal bread. The sandwich was not soggy, mainly because the vegetables were sliced so thinly and apparently had been previously baked. The taste was there so that's good but again I was disappointed by the lack of substantialness. The soup was citrus red lentil. When I received it, I was surprised that it had been puréed. I do like a puréed soup however when you purée lentils they have a grainy texture. If you can get past that, the taste of the soup was good. It was quite citrusy and flavorful. I was told by someone who may have been the owner that the recipe is in Lynn Crawford's great Canadian cookbook as she tried the soup when she toured the country. There is a stage at the end of the space that apparently is used for karaoke however I was also told that local bands could access the space. I don't know how that arrangement is made with the restaurant. On my way to the bathroom, I also noticed there was a nice aquarium in front of a couple sofas. That would be a nice touch if you wanted to go for a coffee and dessert. Note, nothing on the menu including the beverages is exactly cheap. Not outrageously priced either but not cheap.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 7, 2018

We had a birthday party there and I recommend this Cafe without thinking. The atmosphere was extremly cozy, the place is incredibly pleasant and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We sang karaoke and we had alot of fun with our family and friends. Great time!!

Date of visit: March 2018