Sundog Retreat(Whitehorse)
US$135
US$76
US$74
Hotels.com
Inn On The Lake(Whitehorse)
US$194
Edgewater Hotel(Whitehorse)
US$199
US$154
US$126
Elite Hotel(Whitehorse)
US$84
Travelocity
Midnight Sun Inn Bed and Breakfast(Whitehorse)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$97
Kaleido Lodge Yukon(Whitehorse)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$104
Ravensong B&B(Whitehorse)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$61
Agoda.com
All reviewsgold panfourth floorfront desk staffcentral locationmain streetin townbusiness or pleasureair conditioningdowntown whitehorsehotel restaurantrooms are cleanfridge and microwavecoffee makerbed was very comfortableenjoyed my staycomfortable staysaloon
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised to find this gem in Whitehorse. The main reason for choosing this hotel was it's fresh, bright exterior coupled with the fact that you usually can't go wrong with Best Western. Once inside, the lobby was inviting, and the desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was situated on the top floor at the front of the building and had great views of the city and mountains beyond. The bathroom was superb, with modern fixtures and fittings and there were handy dispensers for the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, saving on all that disgusting plastic packaging!! Highly recommended for anyone who likes modern comfort with the convenience of a downtown location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank coldasicequeen
yukonhotels, Director of Sales at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for the great review! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your kind words mean a lot to us and we look forward to hosting you on future trips. Thanks again!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great location - can walk around town easily but not right on a busy street. Parking easy. Lobby is rustic looking (as befits the yukon) and the check in process was good. Rooms were nice - we liked the beds, not too soft, not too firm - clean and nice comfortors. You should request the top floor as that is the only floor that has air conditioning and it was very hot in the first room we had facing the back over a flat roof next to it. They moved us without a problem when I requested the air conditioned room. I would say the rooms were a little better than the average best western and the front desk people were friendly and helpful. The only drawback (but it is a consideration, was the noise of the people getting out of the bar next door (not the best western) but I do not think the hotel can control that. I think that the police should control that better (it may have been worse than normal as there was a music festival in whitehorse when we were there. I would stay again (we stayed on our return also) but would reserve a room on the top floor(for air conditioning if summer) and the back of the hotel to hope for less noise.

Room Tip: Top floor if you want air conditioning. Back of the hotel if you do not want to be woken up when people leave the bar next door.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MJKONT
yukonhotels, Director of Sales at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for the nice review. I will pass your positive comments onto our front desk staff who will be pleased to hear them.

And yes, we have been strongly petitioning the City to enforce the noise bylaws at the neighbouring pub so this should clear up the problem. As you suggested, asking for a quiet room at the back of the hotel will avoid any disturbance from the "local colour". Thanks again.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stay in Whitehorse for business 1 to 4 weeks per year. I've stayed in a number of properties in the city and at the time of this review (September 2011), the Best Western Gold Rush Inn is currently my hotel of choice.

When choosing where you stay in Whitehorse, you need to identify your priorities, because no property here will be able to fulfil every need. Some are very nice, but are situated 3+ km away from the downtown core, thus requiring you to have a car to go downtown, and find and pay for parking. Other Whitehorse hotels were nice at one time, but have become progressively run down and increasingly unclean. Finally, if you have mobility issues, make sure you ask about the elevator situation of any hotel or motel you book at, because some properties don't have one.

For me, my priorities are a very clean room and bathroom, a comfortable bed, and walking distance (under 1 km) to everything I need in the downtown core. Since recently completing a full renovation of the rooms, the Best Western Gold Rush Inn now meets all my needs, so I have been a repeat customer for the last year. The hotel is not perfect, but it's about as good as it gets for the Yukon, so my five-star rating is taking that into account.

Here's what I like about the Best Western Gold Rush Inn:

-Very clean, renovated rooms with tasteful, comfortable furniture

-Very comfortable beds with great pillows and bright white duvets that feel like home

-Nice, soothing lighting in the bathrooms and living space

-Great between-room soundproofing

-Environmentally-friendly and convenient shampoo and soap dispensers

-Fridge and microwave in every room

-Good selection of cable satellite TV channels (appreciated in the winter!)

-Free wireless internet

-Best Western Rewards loyalty program

-Decent exercise room

-On-site laundromat

-Electric baseboard heaters (instead of blowing air)

-Friendly, helpful staff in all areas of the hotel (front desk, cleaning, maintenance, shuttle)

-Walking distance (2-10 minutes) to many great restaurants

-Walking distance (2-5 minutes) to banking services (Bank of Montreal, CIBC, TD)

-Walking distance (2-10 minutes) to some of the best shops you'll ever find

-Complimentary shuttle to and from the airport

-Nice, free internet stations

I'm so pleased with the overhaul of the beds they did at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn. To me, nothing says clean like a completely white bed. There's just no way you can hide dirt when the duvet and bed cover are pure white, and this just makes it feel so much more like home. I'm tired of the thin, rough bed covers at other hotels and motels in Whitehorse that just scream, "You have no idea how much filth this loud-print bed cover has imbibed in the last year(s)."

The wireless internet can be pretty slow and can have shaky connections at times, while at other times it can be quite fast. But if you've ever stayed at other hotels in Northern BC and the Yukon, you know that this is the norm. The good news is that it's still free, whereas another popular property began charging a daily rate for the wireless internet, which is actually what encouraged me to try out the Best Western Gold Rush Inn last year.

The exercise room has gym-quality cardio equipment from Precor. It also has a large flat-screen TV, a water cooler, fridge and towels. There's also a weight-lifting station, a bench, and a nice exercise mat. The room is quite small so it can get humid, and the lighting could be improved (it's rather blinding). But compared to some of the exercise rooms I've seen during my years on the road, this one is decent.

I mentioned the Best Western Rewards loyalty program as something I like about this hotel. One problem I have with Whitehorse is that most of the properties aren't part of a larger group of hotels. So, when you stay a week at many of the other hotels, you get nothing in return for your patronage, yet you pay as much or almost as much as you do at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn. To me, this is a big reason I continue to choose this hotel, because I appreciate getting something in return for choosing them.

Here's what I don't like about the Best Western Gold Rush Inn:

-The noise from Lizards Lounge (right next to the hotel)

-The noise from the Gold Pan Saloon (on the first floor of the hotel)

The patrons of those two drinking establishments are extremely loud, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights. When the crowds spill out onto the streets between 1 to 2 a.m., the loud voices, honking horns and cars speeding away will wake up any light sleepers if they are in a room that faces the street. Another problem I've had is that some patrons let their vehicles run for 10-20 minutes in front of the hotel, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights. Not only is the noise annoying (particularly loud trucks), but the fumes also come up. So, if at all possible, you should request a room in the back of the hotel, facing the police station.

Another tip: I would recommend bypassing the Gold Pan Saloon (first floor of the hotel) if you're looking for good food. It's mediocre at best. Instead, consider one of the many phenomenal restaurants in Whitehorse that you can walk to instead. There are great cafés and numerous Mexican, Japanese, vegan, Chinese, Indian, Middle-Eastern, Italian, and old-fashioned diner restaurants, just to name a few. Just Google "Whitehorse restaurants" and you'll see everything this great city has to offer, many of which are within 5 minutes walking distance from the Best Western Gold Rush Inn.

Regarding the elevator, which several reviewers have commented on -- yes, it's slow. But the Best Western Gold Rush Inn has improved the situation by recently allowing secured access to the stairwells. So, the only times I use the elevator now are when I check in and when I check out, just to get my suitcase in and out. After that, I stick to the stairs and bypass the elevator entirely.

Enjoy your stay in Whitehorse and the Yukon, and remember that you are in a remote part of Canada, so the travel experience can be a mixed bag. But if you keep an open mind, a flexible attitude, and an adventurous spirit, you'll go home with many amazing memories you'll treasure forever.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back and reserve as early as you can. The good hotels fill up very quickly in Whitehorse (up to 2 months in advance).
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank helenlovejoy
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Getting a hotel in Whitehorse is a hassle in summer (thanks Americans), as most hotels have no vacancy, so you pretty much get what you get (book at least a week plus in advance). The Best Western to me is just average. Run down lobby, crappy parking next an in house bar (don't stay on the second floor, if you do, don't plan on sleeping).

Free internet is nice, but bad connections. The room....lumpy comforter, stains on mattress (yuck). Big tube tv's. Bathrooms are a bit gross too (dispenser for shampoo, etc, vinyl shower curtain. Just a bit of a disappointment. In contrast, Skky Hotel by the airport, has laminate floor in most rooms, is a lot quieter, great restaurant, glassed in shower with rain shower head, flat screen tv's mounted on the wall, and no bar full of idiots partying until 2AM, then pouring out into the street, and waking you up.

I'm not a huge fan. I will only stay here unless there is nothing else. I would also HIGHLY recommend the Takhini River Lodge! Best Western wants $175 a night....spend the same or less to have a wonderful stay with a great breakfast and host out there!!

Just my opinion on the Best Western. Take it for what its worth.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
yukonhotels, Director of Sales at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Thank you for giving us a try and for sharing your thoughts. We are sorry we didnt live up to your expectations this trip and hope you give us another chance in the future. We have invested $1.5 million in upgrades the last couple of years and are continually striving to improve the expereince for our guests. As for street noise, we are working with city bylaw to curb the noise from the neighbouring pubs on Main Street. Its usually just an issue on weekends and asking for a room on the back side of the hotel will prevent any disturbances from this "local colour". Thanks again.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Location is as central as it gets. The provide free shuttle to and from the airport. Rooms are clean and neat, comfortable beds. Stayed here a few times, and I would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thanks for your kind review. We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to your next visit!