“insufficient hot water”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Intersting decor and friendly staff but in need of upgrade to ensure enough hot water is available for morning showers. Did not enjoy the cold shower experience. Also the bathroom sink was plugged.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
GeoJohn59, General Manager at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. Our 2 Whitehorse hotels are the only green key hotels in the Yukon. As part of our long-term energy strategy, our aging hot water tanks were replaced at the end of May with new energy efficient tanks that provide higher capacity during peak usage times. Hotel boiler replacement will also be completed in June. Best Western Gold Rush Inn has a large bank of rooftop solar panels which help offset electrical hot water usage in the spring, summer and fall months of the year.

John Robertson

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Visiting here for business. Very clean and tidy. Staff has been very helpful and friendly. Front desk lady suggested a fantasic restaurant in town. Beds are super comfortable, flat screen TV and free parking. Location is at the end of main street 1 block up from the federal government building and 2 blocks up from a number of great little shops and cafes. Starbucks and Tims are a short walk down the street. Would stay here again!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Despite of my three star rating, I did enjoyed my stay there. But there were couple of things I thought deserving of removing the two stars. First are the floor and the ceiling. They creaked like crazy. Whoever was below me must have thought there were parade of elepants above them and I thought the same of whoever was above me. Lucky for me, I was pretty tired and the person above me were too. The walls are bit on the thin side as well....bad that you can heard other guests flushing their toilets or someone peeing!!. Then there are electric plug in. My room at least, I couldn't get to them. One set of plug in lies right behind the TV and cabinet and other set lies right behind the headboard. I wasn't willing to move them around. If this sound bit silly, it is. So I ran down my battery on my laptop that night.

On the other hand, I found the staff to be friendly and effective. The room was clean, bathroom was questionable since I spotted hairs...I just washed them down the drain. But the bed was comfortable, sheet smell fresh and if it wasn't for the creaky ceiling and other earthly noises, I would have slept better.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor possible!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2012

First, let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel; the rooms are clean, the lobby is different (with a gold rush history style).

The front desk staff was awesome, they tried to accomodate us the best they could. However, we really wanted a room with air conditionning which was unavailable in the season. Being in Whitehorse, totally understandable... just a small bummer.

The room was decent size, the bathroom was also decent. The room was clean. The bed was not overwhelmingly comfortable, but than again, it's a question of taste so for a stiffer bed, it's great... but we're more into the softer bed.

The price was very good, nothing to complain about. If you are from the Yukon, ask for the Yukon rate; it's a great rate!!!!!!

The elevator is a little slow but honestly, to us, it didn't really matter..

Also, there is free wi-fi and also, an internet station on every floor, by the elevator (hard to miss).

The hotel is close to everything ; restaurants, Shoppers Drugs Mart, Bookstore, Souvenir Store, Banks and within a ten minute walks : grocery store, movie theatres and more restaurants & convenience store.

So overall, we're happy with our stay, not the best hotel but than very far from being the worse...

Room Tip: I strongly suggest avoiding the rooms over the bar, on the second floor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went to Whitehorse to view the Northern Lights, and were booked into the Best Western. the hotel is adequate. However, it had a dirty bathroom when we arrived, and we had to call in housekeeping to clean the left over hair out of the shower and the sink. The elevators are small and slow and the rooms can be noisy. The queen size beds seem to be very small, so if you really want a proper queen size bed get a room with two beds, not just one, and at least you won't be constantly rolling into your partner every night.

We only ate at the restaurant for breakfast. It could best be described as terrible. We ended up looking for alternative places to eat, even though it was well below freezing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
GeoJohn59, General Manager at Best Western Gold Rush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, the Best Western Gold Rush Inn and on behalf of all staff at the hotel, I apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Our hotel was recently certified as a Best Western "I Care 2" hotel with strict guest room cleanliness guidelines. Our housekeeping staff work in pairs cleaning the rooms and each room is also to be inspected by a supervisor prior to check in. Hairs in the bathroom should not occur with our double check system and I do apologize for that..

The Gold Rush Inn is nearing the half century mark and we do have some challenges with a building of this age. The 2 elevators to the 3 floors of 97 guest rooms are slower than newer elevators but still well maintained. We also have 2 guest-secure internal staircases that have access to each floor as well.

All mattresses in the hotel are either Sealy or Simmons King or Queen mattresses and have all been purchased in the last 3 years. You are not the first to say our Queen mattresses are small. All our Queen mattresses are 60" wide and our Simmons distributor is certain this is standard for all North America. Internationally there may be a 1" to 3" difference. The only different size Queen they are aware of is a mattress size called Olympic Queen which was only produced by Simmons and they ceased making it in 2007.

I am also disappointed you found the breakfast in the hotel terrible, whether it was the food and/or service. We have a large repeat clientele in the Gold Pan composed of both regular corporate/government hotel guests and Whitehorse locals. Largely based on their requests, we offer ala carte standard fare breakfast that is priced competitively with other local restaurants. We conceed our restaurant may not appeal to all and there are close to 50 other dining choices in the downtown, most within a few blocks of our hotel. The building adjoining our hotel also has a nice restaurant that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We do take all guest comments to heart and use them to help us improve our hotel product and service. Do not hesitate to contact me direcly at any time to talk about your stay at our hotel.

John Robertson
Whitehorse, Yukon

gm@yukonhotels.com

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend during the 2011 Frostbite Music Festival. The hotel has been remodel to look like the old gold rush days, which is a little gimmicky but harmless fun.

The rooms are fairly nice and modern. Clean, well kept and service was friendly. Nothing to keep us from staying here again. The pub in the hotel served very good pub food. Definitely worth grabbing a burger and a beer. If you are looking for a good coffee/muffin place, head to the other end of Main Street and look for Baked Cafe and Bakery. Excellent coffee drinks and baking.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The Best Western Gold Rush Inn hotel is very cute, very confortable , very warm and clean. Besides that , Golden Pan Saloon is excelent , offering a good food, good breakfast, good beer , good music...
We loved it.
Ronaldo and Izilda

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple