All reviewsgold panfourth floorfront desk staffcentral locationmain streetin townbusiness or pleasureair conditioningdowntown whitehorsehotel restaurantrooms are cleanfridge and microwavebed was very comfortableenjoyed my staycomfortable staycoffee makersaloon
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed for one night on two separate occasions.The first night they gave us a quiet room at the back. The second time we had a room over the bar. It it was no problem. The rooms were not fancy but were and well maintained. The staff was extremely courteous and most helpful. Airport transfers were included. It is well located for walking to all downtown Whitehorse attractions.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendie H
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The worst service of any bar in Whitehorse at the gold Pan Saloon. Wait people are more interested in texting and chatting with friends than serving customers. Doesn't management see what is happening? I used to go here regularly but gave up in frustration at the poor service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank P r
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was very happy with this four-story hotel on Whitehorse’s Main Street. Everything was clean and the staff were great. I had both a fridge and a microwave in my room. Parking is free in an adjoining lot, WiFi is free, and there’s a free computer terminal on each floor.

The rooms are all roughly the same size. Therefore, a room like mine with two double beds was a bit crowded. Also, I could hear the building squeak as I walked down the corridor due to the wood frame construction. Live music from the bar/restaurant can be heard throughout, but wasn’t really a major problem for me on the third floor. These are small quibbles, though.

I liked that the windows could be opened, and I liked that there was carpeting throughout the guestrooms and corridors. (Hardwood floors would have been disastrous for noise transmission.)

Be forewarned that at night there are noisy groups of drunks scattered along the sidewalks of downtown. This is no reflection on the Gold Rush Hotel, but is a fact of life that will affect visitors at all the hotels of downtown Whitehorse.

Room Tip: The top two floors (3rd and 4th) get less noise from the bar/restaurant.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Deceiving from the outside however the rooms are little gems on the inside. I suggest rooms at the back of the hotel, rooms at the front are a little loud with the late night revelers coming out of the bars. I was on the last floor both times I stayed at this hotel. Once at the front and once at the back, much quieter facing the back alley (view is the RCMP parking lot). The only hiccup with this property is the one slow elevator.

Room Tip: In my opinion rooms at the back are much quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Guy T
Reviewed June 14, 2012

It didn't bode well that the front desk was unable to cope with checking in just a few people or that the WiFi was overloaded. But what earned ths Best Western a terrible rating was putting us in a room right over their noisy music bar--and then being unable to do anything about it except suggest that we go to another hotel. Oh, there are empty rooms still, but all of those are over the music bar too.
Had we been informed at check in that the room would be noisy we would not have taken it, but given that it is now past 9:00 PM I'm not sure what we'll end up doing--except give Best Westerns in Canada a wide berth from now on. At $166 a night from a well-known chain we expect a lot more. Best Western should defranchise this property!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple