All reviews gold pan fourth floor front desk staff central location main street in town business or pleasure air conditioning downtown whitehorse hotel restaurant rooms are clean fridge and microwave bed was very comfortable enjoyed my stay comfortable stay coffee maker saloon
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a second floor room and had to carry our stuff through the lobby then up one flight of steps then onto the elevator. The hotel was very busy, a large group of service men were checking in. Parking is a concern because it says there is a monthly fee area where the hotel parking is. We didn't get a ticket or towed so I guess we did ok parking there. The room was nice. The amenities were the usual for a Best Western. The room was clean. When we first entered we heard a gargle noise from the bathroom sink. There was sewage coming up into the sink bowl. It went back down and my husband ran some water through the sink. My problem came at 5am when I was awaken from a terrible methane gas smell. I got up and ran water in the tub and sink to fill up the traps then I put wet wash clothes and towels over the drains to help clog off the smell. Methane gas is very dangerous...it can kill you and it is combustible. One spark from a light switch or any electrical item or a lighter can blow the place up. Needless to say I didn't sleep much after that . They really need to get some plumping work done. It is a nice hotel with a big problem. I told the front dest that morning when checking out and they said they knew about the problem and even stated they smelled it really bad out in the hallway.

Room Tip: Until they fix this plumbing problem I wouldn't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tyme4relaxing
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had a confirmed reservation for 6 days but the hotel only honored 3 days and then told me the hotel was full even though I had a reservation confirmed. After completing a survey of the hotel after I left (after I was moved to their "sister" hotel) I was written to by the hotel manager who admitted that the prime minister of Canada came through and they needed room for his entourage on that day. Rather than moving one of his entourage to the other hotel, they moved me.

I will never go to this hotel again since obviously I am not important enough to be given equal treatment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Dwayne_0419
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Let me start with the staff. In my 3 days I met ALOT of them in my travels throughout and they ALWAYS smile and have a friendly word. The food was great in their historic bar and a famous local artist and author calls this home daily and is happy to make your acquaintance. The rooms were Best Western Comfortable and had all your expected amenities inside this charming Gold Rush era hotel. This will definitely be my choice when I return to the Yukon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a quiet room at the back which had two bedrooms, large kitchen and lounge overlooking a not very pretty car park . Very impressive room facilities apart from the disgustingly stale milk powder ('creamer') for the coffee. However, the check in desk staff were unimpressive. They had no idea that a large wallet of information had been delivered for us, the result of which required some trouble and unecessary time to sort out. On checking in after midnight one member of staff needed to tell us how tired she was after a long shift. We had just spent around 24 hours travelling with no sleep.
The entrance lobby stank of old cigarettes and the place had a general look of 'tiredness'. I got the feeling that staff 'go through the motions' to give an impression of an efficient hotel without making much effort. Could be so much better.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I enjoyed this hotel - downstairs it was like a step back in time: historic lobby and adjacent saloon. Rooms were newly renovated and mine was very large. Although rooms weren't "luxury" they were very clean, comfortable and spacious enough to do work in one's room. Free wi-fi was very helpful. Staff was friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - some seem to be noisier than others... mine was great!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business