“Not sure there is much choice!”

Best Western Gold Rush Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed two nights at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn as part of a long weekend to see the Northern Lights.

The hotel is conveniently located on the Main Street in the downtown area and most restaurants and shopping are easily accessible from it. The outside of the hotel looks like a building dating back to the gold rush period and so creates a good ambiance, however, all of this is lost inside. The inside of the hotel is dated and falling apart. The reception areas and restaurants are poor and the rooms are just average. The hotel boasted on its website about a recent renovation, however, if this was renovated I dread to think what it was like before. To be fair the rooms are large, have good facilities, and were clean. The biggest problem with the rooms is the bathroom and the shower/bath in particular which is horribly dated and whilst powerful the shower is not impressive.

Service was also a real problem here. The staff were sometimes friendly sometimes downright rude. For example, we charged breakfast to the room and when we went to check out were basically told off for doing it as the rooms were part of a trip and then made to go back into the restaurant and pay separately. Another example of the poor service we had is that we had booked the hotel shuttle to go to the airport. We waited, and waited and the shuttle never turned up at the appointed time so the hotel ended up having to call us a taxi (which to be fair they paid for). Whilst it is commendable they paid they gave us no warning the shuttle wasn't running (and it was clear from overheard conversations as we waited for the taxi that they knew full well it wasn't operational and this almost led to us missing our flights home. All in all just no attention was paid to the customers.

Breakfast was adequate but the service was very slow - again almost making us late for a trip. The restaurant/bar area looks like a working men's club but the atmosphere in the evening was friendly and comfortable.

Overall, I'm not sure you could find a much better hotel in downtown Whitehorse but this hotel is in need of a real overhaul of both the building and the service. However, given it is a Best Western property expectations were not of luxury and the good rooms made up for the shortcomings to give an average review.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RobM74

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had a second floor room and had to carry our stuff through the lobby then up one flight of steps then onto the elevator. The hotel was very busy, a large group of service men were checking in. Parking is a concern because it says there is a monthly fee area where the hotel parking is. We didn't get a ticket or towed so I guess we did ok parking there. The room was nice. The amenities were the usual for a Best Western. The room was clean. When we first entered we heard a gargle noise from the bathroom sink. There was sewage coming up into the sink bowl. It went back down and my husband ran some water through the sink. My problem came at 5am when I was awaken from a terrible methane gas smell. I got up and ran water in the tub and sink to fill up the traps then I put wet wash clothes and towels over the drains to help clog off the smell. Methane gas is very dangerous...it can kill you and it is combustible. One spark from a light switch or any electrical item or a lighter can blow the place up. Needless to say I didn't sleep much after that . They really need to get some plumping work done. It is a nice hotel with a big problem. I told the front dest that morning when checking out and they said they knew about the problem and even stated they smelled it really bad out in the hallway.

Room Tip: Until they fix this plumbing problem I wouldn't stay here.
3  Thank Tyme4relaxing
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I had a confirmed reservation for 6 days but the hotel only honored 3 days and then told me the hotel was full even though I had a reservation confirmed. After completing a survey of the hotel after I left (after I was moved to their "sister" hotel) I was written to by the hotel manager who admitted that the prime minister of Canada came through and they needed room for his entourage on that day. Rather than moving one of his entourage to the other hotel, they moved me.

I will never go to this hotel again since obviously I am not important enough to be given equal treatment.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Dwayne_0419
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Let me start with the staff. In my 3 days I met ALOT of them in my travels throughout and they ALWAYS smile and have a friendly word. The food was great in their historic bar and a famous local artist and author calls this home daily and is happy to make your acquaintance. The rooms were Best Western Comfortable and had all your expected amenities inside this charming Gold Rush era hotel. This will definitely be my choice when I return to the Yukon.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We had a quiet room at the back which had two bedrooms, large kitchen and lounge overlooking a not very pretty car park . Very impressive room facilities apart from the disgustingly stale milk powder ('creamer') for the coffee. However, the check in desk staff were unimpressive. They had no idea that a large wallet of information had been delivered for us, the result of which required some trouble and unecessary time to sort out. On checking in after midnight one member of staff needed to tell us how tired she was after a long shift. We had just spent around 24 hours travelling with no sleep.
The entrance lobby stank of old cigarettes and the place had a general look of 'tiredness'. I got the feeling that staff 'go through the motions' to give an impression of an efficient hotel without making much effort. Could be so much better.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I enjoyed this hotel - downstairs it was like a step back in time: historic lobby and adjacent saloon. Rooms were newly renovated and mine was very large. Although rooms weren't "luxury" they were very clean, comfortable and spacious enough to do work in one's room. Free wi-fi was very helpful. Staff was friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - some seem to be noisier than others... mine was great!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank kattrins
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The pictures of front of the hotel make it look sort of cute rustic, but it is just simple siding. Our room was clean and large and the beds comfortable. Some maintenance items were not taken care of such as bulbs out; the office chair height adjustment leaked so it kept lowering the seat and the back on the chair was loose. They were minor issues that didn't interfere with our stay.

Room Tip: We were next to the elevator but the room was sound proofed enough that we didn't hear it.