Stayed two nights at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn as part of a long weekend to see the Northern Lights.
The hotel is conveniently located on the Main Street in the downtown area and most restaurants and shopping are easily accessible from it. The outside of the hotel looks like a building dating back to the gold rush period and so creates a good ambiance, however, all of this is lost inside. The inside of the hotel is dated and falling apart. The reception areas and restaurants are poor and the rooms are just average. The hotel boasted on its website about a recent renovation, however, if this was renovated I dread to think what it was like before. To be fair the rooms are large, have good facilities, and were clean. The biggest problem with the rooms is the bathroom and the shower/bath in particular which is horribly dated and whilst powerful the shower is not impressive.
Service was also a real problem here. The staff were sometimes friendly sometimes downright rude. For example, we charged breakfast to the room and when we went to check out were basically told off for doing it as the rooms were part of a trip and then made to go back into the restaurant and pay separately. Another example of the poor service we had is that we had booked the hotel shuttle to go to the airport. We waited, and waited and the shuttle never turned up at the appointed time so the hotel ended up having to call us a taxi (which to be fair they paid for). Whilst it is commendable they paid they gave us no warning the shuttle wasn't running (and it was clear from overheard conversations as we waited for the taxi that they knew full well it wasn't operational and this almost led to us missing our flights home. All in all just no attention was paid to the customers.
Breakfast was adequate but the service was very slow - again almost making us late for a trip. The restaurant/bar area looks like a working men's club but the atmosphere in the evening was friendly and comfortable.
Overall, I'm not sure you could find a much better hotel in downtown Whitehorse but this hotel is in need of a real overhaul of both the building and the service. However, given it is a Best Western property expectations were not of luxury and the good rooms made up for the shortcomings to give an average review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Western Gold Rush Inn is the premier family and business-oriented hotel in Whitehorse. Having undergone extensive renovations to the cost of several million dollars, the rooms are spacious and modern. All rooms include wireless high-speed internet, microwave, mini-fridge, flat screen television, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Gold Rush Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Gold Rush Hotel Whitehorse
- Best Western Whitehorse
- Whitehorse Best Western
- Best Western Gold Rush Inn Whitehorse, Yukon