“The Northern Tales Team do a great job of looking after their clients.”

Aurora Borealis & Northern Lights Tours Yukon
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Northern Tales Travel Services, your one-stop shopping spot for year-round adventure in the Yukon! In winter, enjoy an aurora borealis viewing package with optional winter activities such as dog mushing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice fishing, sightseeing flights and special events. Summer experiences include hiking the Chilkoot Trail, canoeing remote rivers reachable only by float-plane, fishing on the Big Salmon River, trekking past glaciers in Kluane National Park, and much more! Ask about custom, individual and private trips by foot, boat or van.
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Northern Tales team take you about 1/2 an hour out of Whitehorse to a camp with open fires, heated cabins and a teepee to keep you warm while you watch the sky for the northern lights. While you wait, there are snacks and hot drinks and friendly guides to talk to.
To capture the northern lights on your camera you will need a camera that lets you set the exposure time to 30 seconds or more. There are no guarantees that the lights will appear, so if you can book several nights it is well worth waiting for.

3  Thank 378Traveller
There are newer reviews for Aurora Borealis & Northern Lights Tours Yukon

Reviewed 17 December 2011

I absolutely loved this tour!

Right from the planning stage the tour operators were very helpful and I felt very reassured traveling all the way from New Zealand that it would be worth my while. Prior to arriving in Whitehorse I was worried I would be short of things to do when not out on the tour but I couldn't have been more wrong! Whitehorse is a fun little town surrounded by lovely scenery and the locals are so friendly. I did the city tour, dog sledding and wildlife preserve tour and enjoyed them all. As for the Northern Lights tour, I doubt you could find a more magical way to spend 5 hours! From the campfire, shooting stars, interesting conversations with the tour guides and fellow tourist to the excitement of seeing the Aurora, this is a truly amazing experience. I was fortunate enough to see the Northern Lights twice on my three night tour however the night we were not able to see them (due to cloud cover) was still thoroughly enjoyable.

The only thing I didn't like about this tour was having to pay a single supplement but other wise it was great value for money! Thanks Tom and Stefan for an adventure I will never forget!

2  Thank nemo500
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We had a fantastic time in the Yukon with Northern Tales. Unfortunately we didn't see the lights very clearly, but it was not for want of trying! The guides were all great - they were really friendly and full of info. The cabin where we went to view the lights was awesome and the gear we rented from Northern Tales to keep us warm was perfect. A great trip.

3  Thank Laura V
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We arranged a 4d/3n package with Northen Tales and couldn't ask for a better outfit First off all queries about travel arragements, flights & optional tours were answered very promptly during the planning stage. They even offered to arrange flights for us. Our flight arrived from Vancouver earlier than scheduled but we were met, picked up and handed an itinerary upon arrival like clockwork. We were sent to the hotel where rooms were awaiting for us (even before the customary check-in time). Although we were given an itinerary they were flexible with rescheduling one of the optional tours we had booked with them as we were worried we would not get enough sleep with the 9:30 - 3:00am aurora outing every night.
My expectations of the warming huts that were provided for the aurora viewing from what I had read from their website told me not to expect too much. However I was pleasantly surprised to find snacks, an assortment of more than a dozen types of tea flavours available as well as percolated coffee and of course a great campfire. Thanks to Tom for making sure we had great coffee and great hunting tales to share with every night. The warming huts were really cosy and well stocked with reading material.
The city tour was very informative. I didn't find it too long. It was just right. We were taken to the visitor centre and given a history lesson of the Klondike gold rush. Stefan (our guide) spoke like he would have aced the test if he had to take one. Back at the aurora warming huts during the night he made sure that all our photographic needs (or lack of skills) were well taken care of being of.
Unfortunatley we didn't get a glimpse of the aurora due to cloud cover during the nights we were there but we learned how to spot the big dipper and little dipper and even managed to see shooting stars.
You couldn't ask for a nicer, friendlier and knowledgable bunch of people. Thanks again to Stefan, Tom & Toshi for a wonderful experience. In the words made famous by the governator......... I'll be back !
Tips: Don't forget to pack a headlamp and schedule your trip when there's lots of snow, otherwise you will miss the dog sledding.

2  Thank annahummingbird
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Having just returned from spending three days in Whitehorse, Yukon, in weather that averaged about minus 18 degrees Fahrenheit, this Florida girl is dying to go back.

This is in spite of the fact that I was less than enthused at first when -- a couple of months ago while standing on a sunny dock in West Palm Beach, Fla. -- my best friend proposed a trip to the Yukon in late November to see the Northern Lights. Now, given that I am a Florida native, cold weather and I don't exactly get along. And by cold weather, I mean whenever I have to put on closed-toed shoes. But loyal friend that I am, the next thing I knew I was on a plane to Whitehorse. Now that I am back, I am totally missing subzero.

What could have caused such a change of heart? You will have to go there to see for yourself, but I will try to explain. First and foremost: some of the nicest, most interesting people on the planet. Everyone we encountered in Canada -- from Vancouver to Whitehorse and back -- was incredibly kind, courteous and service-oriented. The team from Northern Tales provided for our every need and patiently answered all our questions -- even the ones that were asked in jest, such as, "Where might one find musk ox jerky for sale?" (The answer is nowhere. Musk oxen, holdovers from the days of the woolly mammoth, are protected.) Our Northern Tales guides were also incredibly good conversationalists -- the kind of people I wished I could invite to every party I ever threw back at home.

The activities were totally fun and different from anything I'd ever done before -- and I've done more than my fair share of traveling. Having blown out a knee when I was on the losing end of a girl vs. car confrontation 23 years ago, downhill skiing will never be my thing. But dog sledding was a blast, and our guide at Muktuk Kennels took incredibly good care of us, showing us the ropes in no time. I can't wait to go back there with my kids, both of whom are totally psyched to try it, especially after seeing pictures of me and my friend cuddling with Alaskan husky puppies back at the kennels after our sled run.

Our other outings were the Yukon Wildlife Preserve and Takhini Hot Springs, both of which are a must in my opinion. We got up-close and personal with tons of beautiful animals at the preserve. When you visit the lynx, don't forget to call him over with, "Here, kitty, kitty." It worked for me anyway. He came right over. And, yes, you will see musk oxen at the preserve, too, as well as caribou, a.k.a. reindeer. At the hot springs later that afternoon, my friend and I were lucky to be the only ones there for a full hour, although more people were arriving as we were leaving. While out in the pool we were surrounded by snow, a twilight sky and utter silence. It was all at once spiritual, beautiful, peaceful, warm and refreshing. And no worries, getting out into the subzero air and walking the short distance to the heated shower area was no hardship. I never really felt the cold.

Going out to the cozy cabin in the woods with the entertaining Northern Tales crew each night was also a highlight, even though in our short stay we saw more of the Northern Headlights than we saw of the actual Northern Lights. (The lights from cars approaching on the nearby road sometimes bounce up through the fog and toward the clouds, giving false hope.) But in the end, as one of the other tourists said, not seeing the lights just gives us a good reason to go back. And that, I know I will. And next time, I will stay longer.

(One final note: the winter clothing package was totally worth it, but don't bother wearing the clothes except when you need them. I was definitely not wearing my thinking cap when I put them on the morning of the city tour. I had been out walking that morning and it was super cold, but on the tour itself you'll spend most of the time in a heated car and at the Visitors Center, where I ended up stripping. I thought it would be ironic to go from Florida to the Yukon only to die of heat stroke, which I was about to do. Wearing those clothes anywhere there is heat is like being in a toaster. But the good news is that they work when you need them, which is dog sledding and out at the cabin.)

8  Thank Nancy K