“Great food, great service”
Review of Burnt Toast Cafe

Burnt Toast Cafe
Ranked #7 of 87 Restaurants in Whitehorse
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cafe has a page on Facebooki.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've had brunch and dinner here. Both times had great quality food, they obviously have a good chef on staff with ideas on progressive Canadian (melting pot) cuisine. I found the servers here very good and attentive, which is often lacking in Whitehorse. This is NOT "Yukon kitsch", you won't find game meat or mining paraphernalia on the walls. It's more of a contemporary place, which I really like but if you're visiting for the first time and want some old-timey Yukon experience, maybe try the Klondike Rib and Salmon or the Gold Rush.

Date of visit: September 2012
1  Thank Don B
Write a reviewReviews (897)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went to this place on the recommendation of a relative who lives in W. Horse. 2 visits, both for lunch, good soups! Service was friendly and efficient and we enjoyed our food. The first time we went right at noon and it was crowded and therefore noisy, but the second visit was at 1:30 which was quieter. As to another reviewer comment about the pricing, we found that all restaurants and hotel accomodations were higher than we expected in W. Horse. Also, many establishments are grubby and well worn, including Burnt Toast. I suspect that the gravel roads and tough winter conditions make it difficult to to keep things up but still, cleaning is elemental.

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great restaurant. Good food. On a Monday night, cozy place where I could breastfeed and let my little guy go to sleep while having a nice dinner with my family.

Date of visit: July 2012
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Maybe my expectations were unreasonably high as everyone was raving about their dinners. The dinner menu changes (which is good!) but nothing was particularly tasty. We went twice, once with company, so between the 2 visits, we tried pretty much the entire menu. Prices were high for the portion sizes, nothing stood out. The game sausage was memorable for being tasteless. My guests, originally thrilled to try game, left it uneaten and the waitress did not bother to ask.

I went back for lunch (with a friend) and their pulled pork sandwich was lovely. Tasty sloppy gravy and good fries although pricey. I haven't tried anything else off their lunch menu as the rest of it did not look very interesting.
Service is spotty. We had a VERY long wait to order dinner and once they leave the bottle of water on your table, it's up to you to refresh your glasses! Lunchtime service was quick and friendly.
The banquette is comfortable but not comfortable enough for a long dinner and the tables are too close together for a romantic meal!

Date of visit: March 2012
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I think the only reason people go to this resteraunt and there are so many comments on here is because they cant get into the Klondike Rib and Salmon place next door due to the massive line up for a table. The atmosphere was nice and I loved the water being served in the glass bottles but that is the end of my good review. I was ignored by the waitress more than once and ended up having to go to the bar to ask for things twice (she forgot to give me silverware to eat my dinner and then proceded to ignore me! And when I got my food the rice was stone cold! The prices were over-inflated too. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

Date of visit: June 2012