“GREAT STAY IN WHITEHORSE”

Versleuce Meadows B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitehorse
Versleuce Meadows B&B
Ranked #18 of 27 Whitehorse B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We were very happy to have stayed with Roseanna and Curtis in October 2011. Our suite was very comfortable and Roseanna provided us with freshly baked breads with spreads, cereals fruit, eggs etc for us to self cater our breakfast which suited us well. Roseanna is a very friendly person who is proud of what she has achieved with the B & B and we wish her well.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Versleuce Meadows B&B in early August 2011. Roseanne even upgraded us to a bigger room than we had reserved. The room was very nice, spotlessly clean, very recently renovated and even had a very convenient kitchenette. It was located in a separate portion of the house and so it was very private, and was very quiet. The location was very convenient. To top it off, the hot breakfast was a real treat.
Guia and Alberto, Monza, Italy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Guia_M
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My wife and I spent a very pleasant 8 nights in August 2011.Roseanna and Curtis were first class hosts,nothing was too much trouble.Everything was spotless,the breakfasts were first class,if not a little early for us,suffering jet lag! When visiting the Yukon and Whitehorse we thoroughly recommend staying with Roseanna and Curtis. John and Irene UK

Room Tip: The Stern Wheeler suite suited us just fine and is away from the road,consequently very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2011

A family wedding brought us to the Yukon during mid August 2011. Versleuce Meadows was recommended to us by the groom, (now a local), which we took as a good sign. Despite the glowing reports we had never stayed at a B&B and were not sure what we thought of the concept. To further add to my angst we had decided to share the two bedroom suite with family members in the interest of costs. Several other couples from the wedding guests list also chose the Inn. I can tell you that for those who have concerns or reservations about the B&B concept the lay-out of the Inn is perfect to ease you into it. The guest portion is actually an addition to the original home & laid out more like you would find in a typical motel/hotel. There were no privacy or noise concerns at all. To my knowledge every room has their own washroom, shower etc. The rooms where all modern and tastefully decorated. Our two bedroom unit featured a full kitchen, fireplace, ceramic, hardwood, jetted whirlpool tub - you get the idea! It was more like an ultra modern big city apartment really. Sharing with another couple for 4 nights was not an issue at all, especially in light of the added costs savings of splitting the bill. I know from other family members the other "regular" one bed rooms where certainly not as spacious but also very modern, clean and met or exceeded all expectations. Combining all this with the added benefit of having somebody else prepare you a fantastic hot full course breakfast in the morning and this entire experience was hard to beat. All this for the same or less then a motel room !! To top it all off Roseanna & Curtis are just really good decent people who will go out of their way to make your trip as enjoyable as possible. From directions to advice to recommendations neither was too busy to stop what they where doing to answer your questions. If there was a downside it would be that you are ten minutes out of downtown which really wasnt a big deal to us as we had a rental car. I would suggest most visiting Whitehorse/Yukon would. This was my first time to Yukon, first time to a B&B and would do both again. I cannot thanks Curtis & Roseanna enough and would strongly recommend the Versleuce Meadows to anybody travelling through.
Jeff & Kathy

Room Tip: If travelling with another couple or family I would suggest splitting the two bedroom suite, privacy...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I, along with another couple stayed in your 2BR apartment in July 2011. I wanted to thank you again for such a warm hospitable stay. We enjoyed it SO much, especially all your stories. I have completed my blog now and would love to share it with you. (if you want to skip the other days, you get mentioned in days 14 and 15). I hope you have a wonderful time visiting with your First Nations family and that you will be writing that book. You have such a gift of story telling, it's amazing and I loved hearing about all your adventures and experience. We will never forget our trip and staying at your place. Please let me know when you have that book completed....I will be one of the first to purchase it! PS: Great breakfast too!

Room Tip: The 2-BR unit below the main house was perfect for 2 couples.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The rooms are very modern, nicely decorated and very clean. Very noisy from traffic which is on a main street right next to the windows, not meadow quiet like advertised. The hostess is accommodating and friendly, but loves to tell you all her problems and how overworked she is. Clean is very important for me and my husband. However I couldn't understand why I was getting a headache from strange chemical smells. It wasn't until I retired for the night that I realized the strong smell of Lysol was coming from the pillows. Yes, that's right, the pillows were sprayed with a chemical...how very clean and how very unfortunate. We had to wrap our pillows with the towels and double wrap them with the bathrobes so that we didn't smell the fumes. It was that or no pillow. The breakfast was continental style, not hot like they said they provided. It included no name generic yogurt and juice boxes. Fresh creme or milk for coffee would have been an obvious add in instead of coffee mate pouches. Sadly the oversight on these items tended to be things that stand out in the end, and after so much detail has been spent on the rooms, luxury is not the word that comes to mind.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
crgoodman, Owner at Versleuce Meadows B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is important to us as we strive to achieve the best possible stay and care for our guests.

Thank you for saying that our rooms are very modern, nicely decorated and very clean. I am very sorry that you had a room facing the road. Our rooms facing the meadows are usually booked well in advance and I do inform guests facing the road that the traffic from the road makes this particular room nosier than the others. However, your feedback gives us an opportunity to consider this factor again. I apologize if I came across as telling you my problems; I did not realize I was telling you my problems. In one hand, you stated that the room was very clean, however half way through your comment also stated that you smelled chemicals. Yes, I do use cleaning supplies to clean the rooms, however I will be more sensitive to the way they smell.

It would have been very nice if you would have discussed these items with us during your stay and we could have worked at making you more comfortable. We would welcome your stay with us again and once again, thank you for your feedback. This gives us an opportunity to reflect and look at fixing these items.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

My wife and I arrived at this B&B fairly late in the afternoon but got no response to the front door.
We walked around the building and could see through the windows that significant refurbishment was taking place.
Eventually we tracked down Roseanna the owner at one of the rear doors.
She was very friendly and asked if she could help us to which I replied that we had a booking.
She said she didn’t think so and was not expecting anyone that day, but she could accommodate us for that night if we wanted.
She then went to check her diary which showed no booking for that day, but unfortunately she was looking at the wrong date.
On looking at the right date lo and behold there was our reservation.
She was then very apologetic and proceeded to show us to our room.
The building is very modern and appears to have been custom built. The rooms (they call them suites) are quite small considering they also incorporate a “sort of kitchen” with very limited cooking facilities (cupboard, sink, fridge, microwave and toaster).
Consequently you have to squeeze past a large chest of drawers to get to one side of the bed (according to Roseanna the rooms are all similar).
You have to negotiate some quite steep external stairs with suitcases which is not the best when it is raining as it was when we arrived.
Roseanna continued apologising by explaining that she had been decorating the rooms and had been starting very early in the morning and working late into the night.
At this we felt quite understanding of her dilemma and forgetting our booking.
When she came back upstairs with our receipt for payment she continued apologising and said due to the mix-up she would reduce the rate by 25% for our inconvenience and shock, which we appreciated.
She also said that she would be working late that night and from early next morning to finish off her decorating so she would bring our breakfast up to our room in a basket.
The basket of “goodies” contained 2 croissants (no spread), 2 over ripe bananas, 2 cans of pop, 2 yoghurt, 6 strawberries and 1 bottle of water.
When asked about milk for the coffee she replied that there was Coffee Mate in the cupboard (quality B&Bs. supply fresh or long life milk to their guests not colouring agent).
When talking to my wife Roseanna said that she found painting rooms therapeutic and relaxing.
On leaving the next morning we noticed some information pamphlets on a table in the passage, on reading, we were surprised to see that they are promoting a “Full hearty breakfast”.
Since we had booked into over 30 establishments for our trip we were not always aware of which ones had full breakfasts and which had continental.
On checking back on-line we saw Versleuce Meadows was promoting “Full Hot Gourmet Breakfast served every morning between 7am - 10:00am”
So we worked out that the 25% discount we were given was not for our inconvenience and shock but so that the owner could palm us off with what can only be described as something that was scrounged up to let her get on with her painting.
I suppose that we could have gone to Roseanne and confronted her with this information which would undoubtedly have created bad feeling so we decided that the best option would be to let it go at the time then advise other potential guests of our experience on Trip Advisor.
I think Roseanne has to sort out what her priorities are; does she want to run a quality B&B or does she want to take up therapeutic interior decorating?

What travellers are likely to find therapeutic is to be greeted as expected guests and to be fed according to the establishment’s promotional material, not forgotten then be conned into believing that they are being given a genuine discount.
If readers decide to use this establishment then I suggest that they take the following advice.

On booking and again on the day before your arrival ask these questions.
1. Will I be remembered?
2. Are renovations still taking place?
3. What’s for breakfast?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NormanND
crgoodman, Owner at Versleuce Meadows B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2011

I am very sorry that you had this experience. We strive to meet all of our guests expectations. Please let me explain as we have had a number of guests and this is the first major complaint that I have had.

I just became a member of Trip Advisor and had an opportunity to read your comment. We work very hard to meet a certain standard and this year we did decide to do a renovation to update our facility. The job took longer than planned, however as it has been completed for a few months now. We are very pleased with it and so are our guests. As we strive to advance our setting to exceed guests expectations, I am very sorry it was not complete upon your arrival and you felt that I had my priorities wrong.

Yes we do provide a full, hot breakfast and I could not provide this to you as our common breakfast area was not ready. It has been ready though all summer and is beautiful. Yes all of our suites have private entrances, private kitchennettes and bathrooms in each. We built all of our suites this way; keeping our customers comforts and needs in mind. I am very sorry if you found it too small. Please keep in mind we do have larger suites/apartments, however at a larger price than what you were charged.

Thank you for your comments as it will be used to provide a better service. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to the North.