See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 21, 2018

My wife and I felt during a one night stay that we were inconveniencing the owner by our stay.
Minimal coffee offered in room, with only one small packet. When asked for a second packet, owner stated only one packet allowed to each room.
Air conditioning was lacking (it did not feel like it was functioning at all) and it was too hot outside to open the single window.
Overall, was poor customer service and always felt as if we were an interruption, rather than a guest.
Wi-fi, which we paid for, was a hit or miss. When or if it worked, it was momentary. As soon as it was non-functioning, which was typically within 5 or 10 minutes, one has to go through several hoops to, possibly get it functioning again.
Conversations with several other "guests" found similar problems.
During our 6 week plus travels through the U.S., including Alaska, Yukon, and Canada, this was our only regret for our choice for lodging.

Room tip: Lower floors "might" be less hot during the summer months.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank beatdrum
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2018

Coffee: We only offer one complimentary coffee packet per day per room. However, additional packets can be purchased at a cost of $1.00 each at the front counter. This is the way it has been since we opened in 1992. There is also very good coffee at Tim Hortons just one block away.

Wi-fi: We have FREE wi-fi which works fine on 90% of the days. However, when we are at full capicity and we have 40 rooms trying to watch Netflix movies, the system lags. In the Yukon, there is only one internet provider, Northwestel. We do not have unlimited internet in the Yukon. Northwestel has usage caps and charges $10 per GB for over usage. Therefore, we throttle our internet availability to control usage. These over usage charges can result in several thousand dollars worth of extra costs to hotels which can be financially crippling. Our internet would be adequate if everyone used it appropriately, but now people are using it to watch Netflix in high definition, which is going to lag our wifi system when the hotel is at capacity.

Air Conditioning: We have a central air conditioning system. There's a vent in the ceiling that requires adjustment. Front desk staff can do this for you. Most hotels in the Yukon do not even have air conditioning. In Whitehorse, there's only two to four weeks of the year when the temperature is warm enough to warrant AC.

Clearly, we did not meet your high standards and expectations. We are not a five star hotel operating in Los Angeles. We're a budget hotel operating in a remote northern part of North America. I suspect you didn't chose us, but settled on us because maybe Whitehorse was full and you hadn't made reservations. Let me make it perfectly clear, anyone that finds themself in this situation can always ask to look at the room before taking it and if they do not like what they see, then they can look elsewhere for lodging.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Having read the other disastrous reviews I was very nervous about this place. As with many other travellers, I ended up here because I had nowhere else to stay and the rest of Whitehorse seemed to be booked out. Receptionist was pretty brusque and rude upon check in but I didn’t really care as I wasn’t on holiday with her. My room was on the highest third floor which seems much nicer than the lower part of the hotel, so aim to get one of those if you can. It was clean, especially the bathroom, and while charmless it was actually fine. You couldn’t turn off the AC which was annoying and so it made noise all night but I got used to it and slept alright. The eiderdown smelt of sweat (not mine) so I kept it off the bed. The rest of the sheets were all clean, and it was relatively quiet at night - none of the odd clientele that others have reported made an appearance. Fine for a night but wouldn’t want to test it for a second one.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Daljeet D, Owner at Stop In Family Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2018

Thanks for your review. Most of the bad reviews that are over-the-top bad are either from people that didn't stay at the hotel but used the laundromat. The other bunch are from local racists that don't like the ethnicity of the owners. Tripadvisor, unlike other review sites, makes no attempt to verify that the reviewer actually stayed at the hotel. Tripadvisor also bombards us daily with e-mails wanting us to sign up for their paid programs. We refuse this form of extortion and it might have something to do with the reviews you see. I know of customers that have posted positive ones to only have them be screened out by Tripadvisor. It seems that you actually stayed here, so thanks. We're not pretending to be a pretentious hotel....just a clean place where you can get a good night's sleep at a decent price. Cheers.

Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here a couple of nights on our Yukon adventure.This was a decent budget hotel. We found the rooms clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was accomodating and responded to our requests. The attached laundromat was good and handy. The attached Vietnamese restaurant served good Vietnamese fare. Walking distance to downtown. It's not the Ritz but it is reasonable accomodation and I would stay there again.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We freely admit we are not trying to be the Ritz and we do not charge Ritz rates. What we are trying to do is be a clean place where you can get a good night's sleep at a decent price. The Yukon is northern and relatively remote. There might be a disconnect between "southern" standards and price expectations. However, I assure you that in terms of prices and amenities we offer the best value in town. Let's face it...people come to the Yukon for the nature and beautiful scenery - not our "trendy" hotel scene. I think we are offering a great service by allowing visitors to keep more money in their pocket to do the important stuff that they really came up here to do, like experiencing our fabulous nature. I wish you happy travels in the future!

Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

Place was a dump. Room was filthy and looked like something out of a horror movie or crime scene. Rude management who blames visitors for the place being a nightmare. Next time I will sleep in my truck or drive through the night to the next town. What a hole!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank DaNails1

This is not even a real review. Come on Tripadvisor! How can you let this ridiculous tripe pollute your website? This "review" falls under one of the following categories:

1. Written by someone that damaged the room and didn't get their cash deposit back i.e. a bitter person (sorry we have rules)
2. Is prejudiced against the ethnicity of the owners.
3. Had an issue with one of the owner's other businesses (i.e. laundromat, rental apartment, etc.) and is going on Tripadvisor to "get revenge".

You would never see such a malicious review with such generalized and insulting statements posted on Expedia. I wonder if our hotel subscribed to one of Tripadvisor's paid programs, which spam our e-mail address on a daily basis, they would exercise some judgement and post only real reviews.

Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Customer service in this business is absolutely bafflingly disrespectful. There is always something wrong with the machines in the laundromat and when requesting assistance from the owner, you can be guaranteed to be ignored, blamed and/or screamed at. Who would want to support such business?

Date of stay: April 2018