Review Highlights
Beyond the arctic circle!

It was the best experience to cross the artic circle i could imagine. Very informative and relaxed... read more

Reviewed April 4, 2024
Christian H
Kluane Colours with Terre Boreale

Our Kluane Colours adventure with Terre Boreale was nothing short of spectacular. The scenery was... read more

Reviewed November 18, 2023
Anna K
via mobile

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Whitehorse
All reviews hiking trip arctic circle dempster highway kluane national park territorial park northern lights highly recommend this trip an adventure dawson city beautiful scenery max ogilvie backpacking dehydrated tombstone gear route
Selected filters
Reviewed August 31, 2023

With my wife and two kids (16, 19) we did the Southern Yukon day hike tour. We have enjoyed various day-hiking trips in in other parts of the world, but this was the first guided one and it was truly the trip of a lifetime.

First, the region (Kluane National Park, Southern Lakes) is stunning. We were fortunate to have decent weather in early August on most days, and were rewarded with tremendous views. Over the course of the week we saw a lot of wildlife, including Dall Sheep, mountain goats, a lynx, Arctic Ground Squirrels, a Golden Eagle (and many other birds), as well as five black bears and five grizzly bears (all the bears were seen from the comfort of the Terre Boreale van).

The natural beauty was enhanced by the expert knowledge of our guides, Max and Edouard. Max has a masters in conservation biology, with an impressive knowledge of the flora and fauna of the region. I learned so much about these larger animals but also the plants along the trails, the birds, the geological history of the area, etc. This was expanded with some visits to local museums and interpretive centres, where we learned about the First Nations peoples, there clan system, traditions and history.

On the hiking, having two guides for a small group (6 guests) was truly valuable, as the faster hikers were able to go ahead (including our teenagers). The "kids" found Max and Edouard to be excellent guides as well, and were keen to hear of their experiences as guides and world travelers. Knowing they were in good hands heading off ahead in bear country was terrific.

Max and Edouard cheerfully managed every aspect of the trip, which was impressively organized and prepared with an eye to zero waste principles. The dedication of this company to environmental responsibility is apparent in every detail.

Food was plentiful and delicious, even gourmet on some days. One day my daughter picked a few cups of wild blueberries during our lunch break and that evening we enjoyed a splendid baked blueberry dessert courtesy of our guides' culinary skills (I think it doesn't hurt that they are from France).

Accommodations were very nice and we enjoyed getting to know the guides and our fellow guests in the shared environments.

I recommend this trip to anyone who wants to experience these areas of the Yukon, but wants to enjoy relaxing comfort after days spent exploring.

Date of experience: August 2023
Maxime G, Owner at Terre Boreale, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2023

Thank you very much Matt for this thorough review! It is greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed the time I spend with you and your family and I'm really glad you gained knowledge during your adventure with us! I definitely learned a lot about river flow, dams and time of concentration!

Reviewed August 17, 2023

I recently returned from Terre Boreale's 'Day Hiking in Southern Yukon' tour. It is the perfect tour for anyone who wants to hike the Yukon without having to carry a heavy pack and prefers a solid roof over their head rather than a tent. We were first based near Haine's Junction in a private house and for the second half of the tour in cozy cabins on Little Atlin lake. Guides Max and Ed prepared all the meals for us, a professional chef could not have done it better! The hikes ranged from fairly challenging to more relaxed, but were always beautiful. On the two rainy days Max and Ed modified the itinerary to avoid the worst of the rain. In the end, even those days were very interesting and totally satisfying. In addition to guiding us safely on various hikes, the guides also shared their deep love and respect for the land we were travelling on. I recommend Terre Boreale to any interested hikers without hesitation.

Date of experience: August 2023
Maxime G, Owner at Terre Boreale, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2023

Thank you very much for your kind words Irene! It was a pleasure to have you on this tour with us!

Reviewed August 17, 2023

I canoed down the Upper Liard River with Terre Boreale in July of 2023. It was a nice river with lovely campsites and clear water. The food was great, the equipment supplied was first class and our guide Marc worked extremely hard to keep us comfortable, well fed and safe.

Date of experience: July 2023

Thank you Doug for your review!

Reviewed August 15, 2023

Backpacking route through Kluane with beautiful vistas, challenging terrain, and wonderful hosts. Terre Boreale is a great outfit.

Date of experience: July 2023

Thank you Lisa!

Reviewed October 6, 2022

Wow. My first time to the Yukon did not disappoint. The nature and scenery were everything I could have hoped for. The Donjek Route was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done, so much more difficult that I could have anticipated! The soft off trail terrain was even more difficult for me than big inclines. Our guides Dan and Ed were fantastic and kept me motivated and feeling safe along the way. The food was also excellent and we had a great variety of backpacking meals and snacks. Having a hot lunch every day was often appreciated, especially on a rainy day. We didn't see as much wildlife as I had hoped, but seeing a few caribou pretty close was wonderful. Max was very helpful during the booking process and lead up to the trip, and was a great host!

Date of experience: July 2022
Maxime G, Propriétaire at Terre Boreale, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2022

Thank you very much Sierra! You're right, the Donjek Route is a very challenging adventure and you can be proud of what you have achieved!