“Awesome day trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Half-Day Dog Sledding: The Takhini Express
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muktuk specializes in customized small group adventures for both novice and experienced mushers . Walking tours are offered in the summer. Nestled into an ox-bow on the Takhini River, the 100-acre ranch is bordered on three sides by the River, ideal for mushing in the winter, and for beautiful scenery in the summer.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

The full day trip with Muktuk was amazing! The dog sledding was great, and the campfire and BBQ at lunch was fantastic. They supplied all the clothing we would need to ensure we stayed warm! Highly recommend this outing!

1 Thank MBvanbc

Dallas, Texas
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“#1 MUST DO in the Yukon winter - dog sledding with Muktuk Kennels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

WOW - what an exhilarating experience - so very special and memorable! My husband and I did the full day on 2/19, been home for a week and we're still talking about the day we had with the sled dogs! We were lucky enough to have 2 nights of aurora viewing which was fantastic and the purpose of our trip, but the Muktuk Kennel dogs overshadow that experience. Mark and Beatrix were our guides and did a fabulous job of keeping the humans and canines safe - a huge responsibility with all the novice mushers! The day out ended up being longer by more than 2 hours as the last two racers of the "Yukon Quest" were coming in and on the same trail as we were - long, exhausting day but a remarkable experience. Frank drove us back to the hotel and was fascinating to hear him speak so passionately about the dogs as they are truly amazing and so very special - every one of them. Book the full day if you have the time...I think the half day would've made me feel as though I'd been cheated...I hope to return next February and make this an annual trip. One last note - tip your guides and make a donation to Muktuk Kennels - they do not solicit at all for gratuities or donations, but certainly deserve!

2 Thank Da11asGlobetrotter
Burlington, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing experience, worth every penny!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was working in Whitehorse in January 2012, I have never been to Whitehorse before and found myself with a free day so I wanted to do something to e,brace the experience of the North...I had been highly recommended to go dog sledding at Muktuk Kennels. I called only the day before with hopes of being able to join a group for a half day tour. The lady I spoke to when I called convinced me to do the full day ( I expressed strongly that I wanted the "whole" experience) and I was not disappointed. I had to be there by 9:30 and was promptly greeted by my instructor (Mark) . Mark asked me if I was physically fit and if I wanted to run a little or just kind of relax (that depends on what trail you take...forest or river). I decided to take him up on the running part so we headed for the trails. Mark made sure I was comfortably fitted with all the proper gear for the excursion (because I was there for work I didn't think to bring my really warm clothes). Once dressed we headed out to get the dogs ready to go. Mark offered me my own dog sled team which was very exciting to me, and of course I obliged. He showed me the sled and showed and included me in hooking the dogs up. There were also some volunteers that were there working outside, everyone was so friendly, it was really comforting. I was also the only one booked on the tour that day so it was like my own private tour for the day. Mark was very good about giving instructions on how to work with the sled and the dogs. I was very nervous when we started off but very quickly went away and the nerves turned into a great excitement. Mark was very attentive and made sure that I was comfortable. He would stop every so often to make sure I was god and also to allow the dogs to rest. It was a warmer day (0degrees) so we had to rest more often for the dogs. Every time we stopped Mark was so great about talking to the dogs (both his sled and mine) and giving them love, they love to be loved!!! We stopped and put the "lunch stuff" at the spot where we returned a while later to eat lunch. We continued on the trails having lots of fun running up hills and enjoying the beautiful scenery. When we stopped for lunch Mark made sure the dogs were all set up before starting up the fire for our lunch which was great with me. The dogs also had some food at that time. The fire was a bit challenging to start but Mark came through with flying colors, got the sausages on the grill, warmed the buns, served up hot chocolate and even had some dessert. While we were at lunch one of the volunteers came and joined us and stayed with us for the afternoon which was great. Once we got back on the trails after lunch Mark and the volunteer were a lot of fun, laughing and goofing off but still kept it totally professional. I had a great time following behind laughing at the two of them, it was great. We returned back to the main lodge just after 3pm as it was warm out the dogs were suffering, but it was great, I was extremely tired from the hours of workout. Once we got back we took the dogs off the sled and put them back on there leashes at there dog houses. It amazed me at how friendly all the dogs were, I wasn't apprehensive of one of them. Then I saw the puppies and started query with Mark how old they were etc. Once we got all the dogs off the sled, Mark asked if I wanted to go play with the puppies and of course I said "YES". We got to go right in the puppy pen (they were 8-10 weeks old) and they were so awesome and fun and cute as could be. Once we were done playing with the puppies we won't inside and I took all my gear off, went upstairs where there was water, coffee, tea offered along with brownies.
Overall my experience was so great, I would recommend to anyone. The money which may seem like a bit much was so justified once there seeing what they have to do and the experience that was given/received. I would/have thought about returning to Whitehorse for a family vacation so I can share the experience with my family.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank KimBurlington_Canada
Singapore, Singapore
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Frank Turner is a Yukon Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have visited with friends and family several times. Frank Turner does an exceptional job teaching visitors about dog mushing. The dogs are great, and the love between Frank and the dogs is incredible. When Frank came out of the house all dogs got up and barked "take me, take me." Frank raised his hand and told the dogs to shush, and all the dogs obeyed. It was a moving experience of love between a man and his four legged friends.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank WhitehorseRichard
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Dog sledding - it should be on your bucket list.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

A singularly extraordinary and uplifting experience. Frank and his staff will make you very welcome.
I spent one week on the Rookie Ranch Experience here and could have managed another two. The dogs are beautiful, happy and healthy. Frank is passionate about their well being and knows and loves every one of them.
I was introduced gradually to sledding by doing a short trip on the Takhini river on the first afternoon, an afternoon ride through the woods the next day, followed by a day trip with barbecue lunch, courtesy of Hugo, one of the most pleasant and efficient guides you could ask for. These trips left me very well prepared for a camping trip with Frank, along the Yukon river onto Lake Laberge, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Camping was wonderful, and our evening meal fantastic: steaks cooked on the fire, by Frank, and done to perfection.
If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, something to test you and get connected with nature, this will not disappoint. The dogs are humbling in their unfailing eagerness to pull the sled and it is a privilege to be a member of their team.
Accommodation is comfortable and the cooking, by the very talented Manuella, is excellent.
I wholeheartedly recommend this experience to you.

1 Thank brianofarabia