“Nice surf camp. Relaxed but still well organized. Good instructors.”

Surf Berbere Surf Camp Taghazout
Lund, Sweden
“Nice surf camp. Relaxed but still well organized. Good instructors.”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed 4 nights at Surf Berbere in Taghazout in november 2011. We had a small but clean bedroom and shared a terrace, bathroom and living room with another person, wich worked out good. The house is right at the shore, and at night you can hear the waves breaking, wich I really enjoyed.

They arranged taxi transfer from the airport - a bit pricy, but well worth it. We bought the full package with surf lessons, equipment hire, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast and dinner were served on the very nice rooftop terrace, wich also served as a chill out point and made it easy to hang out with the other guests, a nice part of the trip.

The surf instructors were really nice and professional! Me and my girlfriend were both beginners, and we got a good introduction.

The dinners were excellent, and were served in large portions. Breakfast buffet was quite boring and uninspired (bread, peanut butter, jam, milk with cocoa puffs, sometimes yoghurt and eggs, instant coffee and juice), but served its purpose. As a swede, I like to start the day with oatmeal, full-grain bread, cheese and ham, fresh fruit, real coffee etc, especially if you're going surfing the entire day. I think it's more of a cultural difference between England and Sweden than anything else.

I got sick for one day (don't know if it was the food, my girlfriend did not get sick) and couldn´t use the pre-paid surf lesson and board hire. However, the guys at Surf Berbere were happy to give me a refund for that day! Overall, they were very nice and fair to deal with!

Taghazout is small and really built up around surfing. Not so much to say about the village. A sad thing is that an open sewer goes straight out into the sea near the city, wich creates a certain odour. Also, the beaches were full of litter, wich I think is so very sad.

Overall, I recommend this place if you are looking for a surf camp. It's not luxury standard or even mid-range, but the atmosphere is really nice, the food is good and the management and surf instructors friendly and professional.

Olle Rosengren

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olle R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cork, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Just back from Morocco. We had two weeks in Morocco and spent a week at Surf Berbere. We had a great week and felt at home from day one. We had a lovely large apartment downstairs with a huge balcony right on the water. I wouldn't describe it as basic, as alot of reviews have done. The view alone would take it form that, and for the little time you spend in your room it was perfect It. Yes the smell is a problem, however this is not surf berberes fault. The smell is around alot of the town and seemed to come up from the toilet in the apartment. Which was a problem everywhere. So although other reviews have described this experience, Surf Berbere were not at fault. I think African sewerage systems are more to blame

We ate at the camp for the first dew evenings but did find it a little expensive compared to local prices. The food was fantastic, and there was a lovely atmosphere on the terrace, with everyone eating together. So if money is not a big issue i would recommend eating there every night. In our circumstance we found we could eat the same quality for half the price in town but missed out on the group social element. I would also disagree with previous reviews about vegetarian food. Although neither of us are vegetarians it seemed they were catered for, with nuts or other foods being supplemented instead of meat.

In terms of getting us to the waves, the management always done what ever it took. While we were there they had a car living before breakfast to get us to the waves on the right tide. The management seemed to have no concern over the hours they worked as long as we were getting waves. When the waves were small on the first day they ran a longboard contest. I actually won and was given a crate of beer as a prize, which in morocco is still worth about the same as the U.k. It was a really nice gesture by the camp. Not sure if this is a regular thing, as we were there during a large muslim holiday, and the camp was having there own celebration.

Equipment was good quality, and seemed suitable for beginners and more advanced. The only problem to be honest was water quality. The water in the bay mainly around panorama's and hash pont is terrible. On one occasion we were swimming in sewerage. Not nice. Again not surf berberes fault and many of the breaks dont have this problem, but just something to be aware of perhaps in terms of jabs before coming.

We had a great week and Mark and the team were really lovely. Couldn't recommend going there enough if you want a nice week of surfing with like minded people.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David D
Stokenchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Went to Surf Berbere in April and had a briliant time. We stayed in a two bed apartment which we shared with two other guests and had a balcony literally over the sea. The accommodation was basic but clean - exactly what you want when you are traipsing through in your sandy wetsuit.

The surf instruction was great - got me on my feet in no time which had eluded me in the smaller Cornish waves! Their laid back style was perfect for learning. And the quiver was awesome - I bagged a 9ft longboard that I wanted to steal back with my and my other half plumped for a more manouverable mini-mal that suited him perfectly. (And they even had a wetsuit to fit him at 6'5")

Before, during and after the hard days surfing you won't go hungry. A huge continental breakfast on the gorgeous roof terrace starts the day, with a briefing from Mark, lunch was sandwiches and crisps at the beach and then plenty for dinner back on the roof terrace - we had BBQ burgers and meat with cous cous - all cooked by the Moroccan chef. Although if you are greedy like us, you can sneak off for a quick tagine in the town before dinner. What? We burned loads of calories surfing!

Taghazout is unspoilt and exactly what I wanted for a surfing holiday in Morocco - don't expect a polished five star resort but who needs that with those waves on the doorstep?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Me and my friend we stayed at Surf Berbere for 7nights in September-October. We had great time all the way. Basic rooms, basic breakfast. Right next to sea, you can go to sleep while listening to the sound of waves hitting shore..good dinners, huge amount of food always, wich you need after surf. Amazing sunset everynight.
During the week, we got to know nice chill stuff that's running the place..
and the people that where staying there same time from around the world, made our trip even better. Everyone has plans to go back again. Special one from stuff for us, was the yoga teacher Lucy, such a cute, nice, positive person! Yoga studio is beautiful! Great lessons as well..really helps to recover after surf.
We had surf lessons with brandnew wetsuits and nice local teachers..and yoga almost everyday. Taghazout is small pieceful place. But what more do you need than sea, sun, surf, sunsetyoga. We also did SB trip to Paradise Valley witch is beautiful place! I'm sure I will go back someday when we go to Morocco.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I've visited Surf Berbere on two occasions. Both times the staff have gone out of there way to ensure we had a good time. The location is brilliant, close to many great surf spots, and really accessible from Agadir and the North. The social side of the camp well and truely makes up for what some may consdier as 'Basic' accomodation. Our group found we didnt have much time to be in the rooms what with the splendid local surf instruction and wonderful day trips offered.The local area is undergoing re-contruction, as you've got to remember you're in a small village in Africa. The surf equipment was to an excellent standard, Wet suits and Boards to meet every temperature and standard of surfer. Overall, I hope to visit again, if not only to see the superb views over Hash Point but to enjoy the relaxed and fun lovin' atmosphere created by wonderful staff.

Room Tip: The bottom apartment, you can fall asleep to the waves lapping on the rocks.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Me and my friends have just returned from 1 week in Taghazout,Morocco staying at Surf Berbere and can honestly say its one of the best trips i've had. The surfing, food and company; the whole experience was just fantastic.Be sure of where your going before you book. This is a mainly islamic, arabic/berber fishing village on the African continent. This is not mainland Europe, this is at the end of the day Africa - it just happens to have some of the best waves within a 3 1/2hr flight from the UK.We arrived for the last week in October on a so called "stagg doo" basically one of the lads has "taken one for the team, getting married so we all have an excuse to have a boys trip!". There were 10 lads in group ranging in age from 42 to 19. Some have done a fair bit of surfing, travelling around the globe but at the very most can be classed as intermediates (honest assessment) clinging on to surfing whilst holding down full time jobs and family, others no surfing experience and were keen to learn and up for the craic! Both short and longboarders amongst the group. Some had boards with them, others hired kit from Berbere.

On paper simply down to ability our group was a difficult mix to keep happy but Surf Berbere catered for the mix in capabilities and desires well.

Surf wise theres not much to be said. If there is swell theres a wave for every ability and as long as you buy in and commit the staff at Surf Berbere will get you where you need to be at the time you need to be there. If a decent ground swell runs your on it in Tarazought - and you will be tested.Anchors, Killers, Boilers, Desert its all close by. This place does get world class and the standard of surfing high. If the swell drops a bit the staff know were to drive to get waves which is usually North. We were lucky and landed as perhaps the first proper swell of the season arrived. We surfed everyday but one in quality waves. We only had a day off to recharge ready for the next pulse. Saw no hassle in the water whatsoever.On our rest day we headed up into the mountains for a bit of cliff jumping and chill out. Again a cracking day. A good giggle and good food up the mountain.

I can only comment on the accomodation we stayed in which was the main Surf Hostel building itself which was bunked dorms. Lets be truthful 5 star accomodation this is not. These are clean and basic rooms with comfy chill out living rooms, board storage, kitchen and showers. Fridges are in each of the communal rooms. TV and DVD's for a chill out if desired. Considering how many poeple were there there was always hot water for showers after a surf. What more do you want. Your coming here to surf, chill or for the Yoga.

Food was excellent. Can't be faulted. When i travel i want the full gastro experience of the country and i was not disapointed. Quality and amount was great. We had a few foodie chefs, jessies amongst us and no complaints what so ever. The tagines and bbq's on a night time are just wicked. Meat, fish, something for everyone. Special mention must go out to the kitchen staff.
Breakfast was a time to load up for the day ahead or recharge after a dawnie at Anchors! Happy days!
Lunch time was quality baguettes and packing ups.
Staff wise the Moroccan crew, MO MO, Mohammed x 2 and BARAK are just cracking people. They are warm hearted, friendly and absolutley charge. All of them will show you how its done in the surf. Barak is a mad man and charges! The man is fearless! snapped a board one day and then split his head open the next day - bless him he had to have his beautiful locks of hair cut off. He's also very good at Yoga. But seriously these are good people who go out of their way to make your holiday happen.

The camp is run by Tudor an allround jolly nice chap.Tudor could be refered to as somewhat of a "fixer" or "facilitator" when it comes to getting hold of the odd case of beers or if medical treatment is required. He seems to simply, appear at the right time, glide in and get it sorted.

The manager of the camp,Marc is one of the South Afrikan chaps. I've crossed paths with these sorts before. There normally fearless and charge. Now this bloke has got the place dialled. Marc could not do enough to make our trip the best ever. He's laid back persona is an illusion as he works extremly hard to make your trip happen. In my eyes the bloke is a legend, whatever there paying him its not enough. Marc would be sorting out the following days groups/locations according to forcast the night before.

Other people at the camp: There was a variety of people at the camp whilst we were there from all over the globe; Hawian, Basque (these lads charged!) Swiss, Canadian, Irish, French. People travelling on their own, couples and groups. There was a father and son group. Everyone just mixed in. The place allows everyone to interact in a friendly and relaxed manner. It was super cool and relaxed everyone got on very well. A bit of guitar playing an singing here and there. We had a cracking party on one night and everyone got involved.

I can't not mention the Yoga. I personally didnt have any Yoga clasess but a couple of the lads did and really recommended them. They came back loosened up, feeling all new age and that. Lol! The Yoga classes are held at an absolute stunning venue above Killer Point. I could'nt have concentrated whilst watching the waves pump through. Should be mentinoed Surf Berber have a villa there. Cracking spot.

I can only comment on my experience but the place is magical. Its cheap, warm, the surf pumps, you get fed quality food, taken to the surf and the atmosphere is so relaxed. I've travelled both coasts of OZ, Indo and nearly everywhere in Europe and if there is swell this set up takes some beating. I, along with my friends will return to Surf Berbere. Go with the right attitude and Morocco and the staff/visitors at Surf Berbere will provide you with some life long memories to take away with you. Until the next time,take care.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I will start by the negative comments and finish with the positive ones.

DONT USE THEIR TAXIS:
You can get a taxi for 200 dirhams (2/3 cheaper that at Surf Berbere) from Taghazout to the Airport so do not book in advance there are plenty taxis available at the airport when you arrive and when you leave Taghazout - I left at 6am and I ask a taxi drive the night before to come and pick me up - he was there on time. And dont forget to haggle!
ALSO NOTE TAXI WAS 200 Dirhams for the entire taxi! Surfbebere charges you 300 dirham per person!

IF YOU'RE VEGETARIAN READ THIS:
Although they ask you if you want vegetarian options please note that this is a trick there is not vegetarian option at all at surf berbere. For example if you choose dinner vegetarian option when there are brochettes you wont get vegetarian brochettes but only the salad and the pastas, same with the burger.
And the worst for the lunch you will only get a watered berbere salad (onions and tomatoes) and a bit of stale bread - no seasoning - a bad of crips and dry biscuits (difficult to eat in a dry hot weather) - no fruits etc... Nothing tasty

THE BUILDING:
Quite nice to socialize but all around the apartments there is a massive stinking dump all around the building! Do your think they would spend time cleaning it? No!
It is a joke!
See the picture I attached they are goats peeing and [---] everywhere and eating the garbage!!

FOOD IN GENERAL:
Dinners are good although quite expensive at 100 Dirham - there are hips of cool restaurants where you'll have a brilliant three course meal (fish and veggie if you wish) for 60 dirhams.
As seen in the vegetarian paragraph lunches are really bad - enjoy left-over sandwiches

ROOMS:
Rooms are cleanish although the place stinks (see below) and they say they give you a towel but the towels needed replaced 1 year ago! It is a joke at the price of a towel in Morocco they could replace them all.
Decoration is really tacky - no plants - not enough ranging space such as a cupboard without coat-hangers - pretty useless.
There is a huge potential but the management is not bothered

MANAGEMENT:
Boring - No Banter - Rather Sad
When there is not any wave they try to charge you for extra event altough you already paid for surfing that day! What a rip off! They obviously dont know honestly!

SURF CAMP:
The Moroccan teachers are great - the equipment is great (boards, wetsuits etc)
It is just the managers that are horrible.
There is not any briefings in the morning or evening you have to find everything yourself.

WATCH OUT:
The massage do not come to the terrace anymore
they say that they will get you were there are waves - LIES! There was not any waves after day 2 and other people

POSITIVE THINGS:
- Moroccan teachers are great (unlike British managers) and you'll learn to surf pretty quick but you'd better off stay anywhere else in Taghazout and just book for surf lessons (they allow people to do that)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank profeta77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taghazout
1.2 km away
0.4 km away
Amayour Surf
Amayour Surf
#2 of 12 in Taghazout

Been to Surf Berbere Surf Camp Taghazout? Share your experiences!