“Outdoor find”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2015

We were referred here by our innkeeper and the food did not disappoint. We had the delicious bleu cheesecake with walnut bread and the grouper which was very good. The only issue was that service was extremely slow and the place was not all that crowded. We weren't in a hurry, but at times it was a bit much.

1  Thank Travelplanner55120

Reviewed March 16, 2015

Although I believe this restaurant is about to change hands, if the chef stays then it will be worth the booking. Intimate but OK for business too, our waitress from Danevirk ??? did a great job and added to our experience.

1  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed March 10, 2015

Suggested we eat here by the hotel owner so we took a chance, friendly greeting by the waitress but after that we just weren't impressed. The waitress took our order and the starters were slow to come and weren't hot, maybe just warm. I ordered the scallops which had been fried and were no thicker than a cm, our mains arrived shortly after we finished our starters so I got the impression they were in a hurry to get us out. I had steak, whilst rare it still wasn't very warm and when I asked if they had any english mustard or indeed any mustard was told no. Now I must point out that the waitress I think had gone home by now as we were served by I think the owners. My bok choi was cold, I should really have complained but just felt we were not welcome or had arrived when they wanted to close up, we arrived 7.30'ish on a Monday and there were about 10 other people already dining. Not once were we asked how our meal was but others were, we didn't want a dessert but also not offered coffee so I went up to the bar and paid the bill. Owners more intent on cashing up for the night, when we left my partner said goodbye and the male with his back to us didn't even reply. Hopefully this was a one off and not the usual but it has put us off, we don't usually eat in pubs but the Rose and Shamrock around the corner was doing a roaring trade, every table full from 5pm so perhaps that says something

Reviewed March 3, 2015

I'd always wanted to eat here in the previous 4 times we'd been to Havelock but each time there was a function or they were booked out. Now I'm glad I have before it changes owner in April. We were greeted with a beaming smile and sat in a quiet part of the restaurant even though we got there early 7pm on a Thursday. A very good but not extensive wine list but wines of quality. I ordered an entree, blue cheesecake with walnut bread. I'd preferred a fresh chutney rather than the bread (a little dry). Our mains were superb and cooked to perfection, grouper (mouth-watering and succulent) and a duck confit (melt in the mouth). The fish was probably the best I'd had in any restaurant, anywhere. We were offered the dessert menu but by this time surprisingly we were content. It'll be interesting to see if The Post maintains it's standards under new ownership.

1  Thank Steve E
Reviewed February 1, 2015

A good menu with excellent choices.
This is a step up from a café, very attentive staff.
Would we return - Yes