“Pricey and not very good. Poor service”
Review of Kalani's

Kalani's
Reserve with OpenTable
Kalani's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Ave Hwy 50
Reviewed December 26, 2017

We dined here last week for my husband’s birthday. This is an upscale restaurant in the ski village at South Lake Tahoe.

When dining at a restaurant in this price range, I expect a plate of food that includes a reasonable serving of vegetables/sides. Sadly, Kalani’s falls into the category of restaurant that I call “meat on a plate”. That is, a piece of meat or fish is the star of the show, without adequate complementary side dishes. None in our party were vegetarians, however, we had trouble ordering because of the meat-centric menu. Vegetable sides could be ordered, but they weren’t very appealing.

In addition, the food was just OK-my salad was limp and swimming in dressing, the crab cakes were gooey and salty. The waitress made a number of small service gaffes and entirely forgot my daughter’s cocktail.

And...one of the factors that shows attention to detail.... the rest rooms were not clean.

In summary, I was looking for a fine dining experience and felt like I was eating at a restaurant designed to sucker a tourist out of their dollar.

Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

Kalani’s is a great option in amongst a bunch of pizza and other fast food type options. Service is excellent and very prompt.

Food was pretty good too. The signature Chilean sea bass was wonderful. As were the tuna poke and seafood platter (2 scallops, 1 jumbo shrimp and fish of the day which was New Zealand sea bass today).

We even ordered a filet steak and that was declared ‘delicious’ by the person who finished it off!

A couple of the appetizer dishes didn’t quite hit the same levels. Cucumber Kim Chee was very salty (so much so that we couldn’t really eat it and the server took it back). Baby back ribs and edamame were okay.

Worth a visit if you’re in the Heavenly Village Area.

Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

This review is for the service only. We did not get to the food. The manager brought us to the tables by the bar and told us to sit anywhere. We walked past the waiter who was chatting with the first table by the entrance and the bartender was making a drink. Both of them looked at us and continued to do what they were doing. Then some other people walked in behind us and were promptly given water and menus. After noticing a few more tables walk in and be acknowledged, I walked to the bar and asked for a menu. The bartender seemed annoyed and said your waiter will come to you and gave me just one menu for drinks and happy hour, even though we wanted the regular menu as well. We then waited another 15 minutes, so I walked to the bartender again and told him we were ready to order. Again, he seemed annoyed and said your waiter will come to you. The place completely filled up and at this point they had given the 25 other patrons service but completely ignored us. We had enough, went to speak to the manager and told him we were the second table to arrive and asked why where we intentionally ignored. My guess in a polynesian fusian restaurant is they didnt want to serve the polynesians.

Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

I came across this place while walking around the area. The staff was friendly and picked out a delightful port. The lobster bisque was exquisite and the poke tuna was wonderful. I will come back. I love the ambience, warm, dimly lit, open yet cozy. Highly recommend.

Reviewed October 20, 2017

Just happened in while looking for a place for dinner at Heavenly Village. Couldn't have worked out better. No crowd, Steaks, wine, salad, service and atmosphere were very nice. We'll go back. Didn't try the sushi.