“Family Dinner”
Review of Kalani's

Kalani's
Reserve with OpenTable
Kalani's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Ave Hwy 50
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We love Hawaiian food so we tried out Kalani's. We are a family of 5...2 13 yr olds and 12 year old. The children were not too pleased with their food choices and did not like the food. Usually they like what order and we reviewed the menu prior to attending. However, my & my husband's meal were perfect and good. It was overpriced. Our bill was over $200 and felt it could have been better. Customer Service was a plus. I would say for a family outing I would not attend this restaurant, but for couple or party of 2, I would attend. It is a bit noisy so don't plan on having nice candlelit dinner.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

We sat by the bar and had generous drinks plus fantastic service. Bar tender was very polite and gave us information of places to visit while in South Lake Tahoe.
We didn't have any food, but all dishes that went by looked very good.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We had heard that this was the place to go if we wanted good sushi in the village at Heavenly Moutan. We were pleased to find out when we arrived that happy hour was just starting. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a few drinks and a pretty generous happy hour food menu.
The following day we found ourselves back in the village at lunch time so we went back to Kalani's. Food and service was great again, second day in a row.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We revisited this restaurant as last year we had great lunch and dinner visits. This was the holiday season so service was not as expected. While dining, the waiter took away our knife before we were finished eating and we had to hunt down another one. Since we had told them it was our anniversary, they offered us champagne, but not until the meal was over? We would have loved to have had it to toast before our meal. I think they forgot about it and it was just an afterthought. Food was tasty, but portions were small. Not up to our expectations.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

We dined here last week for my husband’s birthday. This is an upscale restaurant in the ski village at South Lake Tahoe.

When dining at a restaurant in this price range, I expect a plate of food that includes a reasonable serving of vegetables/sides. Sadly, Kalani’s falls into the category of restaurant that I call “meat on a plate”. That is, a piece of meat or fish is the star of the show, without adequate complementary side dishes. None in our party were vegetarians, however, we had trouble ordering because of the meat-centric menu. Vegetable sides could be ordered, but they weren’t very appealing.

In addition, the food was just OK-my salad was limp and swimming in dressing, the crab cakes were gooey and salty. The waitress made a number of small service gaffes and entirely forgot my daughter’s cocktail.

And...one of the factors that shows attention to detail.... the rest rooms were not clean.

In summary, I was looking for a fine dining experience and felt like I was eating at a restaurant designed to sucker a tourist out of their dollar.