“Disappointing aspects”

Ranked #13 of 26 Restaurants in Knowle
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2017

Went there with friends. Previously told we couldn't book a table but it looks as though this policy has changed. There were 11 of us and we sat at two tables whereas if we had known we could book we would have been on one table.

We each ordered food separately.I went to the bar to order for my wife and I. I stood waiting to be served only to find that the barman wouldn't serve me as i wanted food. This had to be ordered at the far end of the bar. No sign to tell me this. So I joined the back of another queue. The barman who eventually took my order wasn't interested when I mentioned it.

When the food came it was good and the menu was varied.

Alas my experience at the bar sullied my enjoyment.

5  Thank topiary

Reviewed November 6, 2017 via mobile

Family of eight, wish they did reservations, was trying to get a table, it was like a bum fight, getting drinks was a chore, ordering food was a chore, then the food was wrong, then to be fair it was just poor quality for the money. Don't normally leave bad reviews, try to see the positives. Let's just say father in law has been banned from suggesting this place again! Shame as has a lovely canal position.

3  Thank Lynsey T
Reviewed November 5, 2017

Omg ! We have been going to the Black Boy 22 years on a regular basis & have never been disappointed great friendly staff nothing too much trouble, fantastic chief Jayne Turner , the fish is just amazing you would think Russel fished it that morning it is so fresh cooked perfectly and the size of a whale ! A home from home
Just love this place xx

1  Thank Themadi
Reviewed November 5, 2017

Went here with a friend for dinner and a drink. He had the 16oz rump and I had the large cod. His came out first and the steak looked massive, then my cod came out and looked like a shark. We both struggled to eat both our meals due to the size, but very tasty and spot on. Still no calculators though, so keep a tally on your prices and all will be good.

1  Thank Avtar_1
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

I have been going over to the Black boy now for over 20 years and for many of these years I have always had Steak Pie. There Steak pie is the best I have ever had and still is. However my huge disappointment today was that the pie dishes they are served to you in have been halved in size. I was gob smacked to find my favourite pie portion size had been halved as they now use pie dishes half the size they used to be.

I have always really highly rated the Steak pie and the pub itself to everyone. Well I certainly can't do that anymore I be ashamed to recommend anyone for that now.

Hugely disappointed