“Lovely Meal”

Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Knowle
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2017

Had a lovely meal on Saturday lunch time, managed to find a table at the busiest time, food was very good and after being told it may take an hour it came much quicker. Very pleased with the service and the location is very nice with the canal outside, although unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough for us to venture outside.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Kay M

Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

We were both off work on a Thursday and decided to drive to the Black Boy and take a walk along the canal.
The restaurant was very busy but we managed to get a table and look at their extensive menu. I chose from the lunchtime special of 2 courses for £8.95 which had a good selection, choosing the liver and onions which you don't see on many menus these days. Food was excellent and staff very friendly. I would definitely recommend it. The chips are amazing.

1  Thank SteveS1970
Reviewed November 13, 2017

We booked a table the day before, and were seated in a lovely cozy corner, right next to the fireplace. Very pleased with that.

The Sunday Roast (turkey) was absolutely huge, and quite tasty. I got the large size, but next time would get the smaller. Good selection of veg on the plate.

The 1/2 chicken and ribs were also good; the rib meat fell off of the bone, as it should.

The kids enjoyed their kids' chicken fillet meals. The chips were delicious.

For dessert, we shared the warm chocolate chip cookie dough and ice cream. Fabulous!

There was a decent selection of draft beers generally, some with the extra cold tap that I like. However, I was disappointed that there were no hoppy IPA-style beers, even in bottles.

The staff were pleasant and attentive, checking several times at our table to see if we needed anything. Still, for the prices, ordering at the table would be more appropriate.

In warmer weather, there is also a huge outdoor seating area right on the canal, with a little playground for children. I could imagine spending a nice warm afternoon out there with some cold drinks.

We will likely return.

1  Thank rsaatlarge
Reviewed November 11, 2017

Went there with friends. Previously told we couldn't book a table but it looks as though this policy has changed. There were 11 of us and we sat at two tables whereas if we had known we could book we would have been on one table.

We each ordered food separately.I went to the bar to order for my wife and I. I stood waiting to be served only to find that the barman wouldn't serve me as i wanted food. This had to be ordered at the far end of the bar. No sign to tell me this. So I joined the back of another queue. The barman who eventually took my order wasn't interested when I mentioned it.

When the food came it was good and the menu was varied.

Alas my experience at the bar sullied my enjoyment.

5  Thank topiary
Reviewed November 6, 2017 via mobile

Family of eight, wish they did reservations, was trying to get a table, it was like a bum fight, getting drinks was a chore, ordering food was a chore, then the food was wrong, then to be fair it was just poor quality for the money. Don't normally leave bad reviews, try to see the positives. Let's just say father in law has been banned from suggesting this place again! Shame as has a lovely canal position.

Date of visit: July 2017