“Not bad”
Review of Hunter and Barrel

Hunter and Barrel
Ranked #16 of 74 Restaurants in Hillarys
Reviewed September 25, 2018

Sunday night started relatively quiet on arrival but was well and truly buzzing by the time we left.
Staff were friendly and attentive but did seem a bit under the pump.
Had a variety of mains (Barramundi, steak & chicken skewer) which were all quite good and reasonably priced. I tried the ribs which I heard from a friend were the best in Perth, I disagree but they were pretty good and as stated reasonably priced. Brownies and the apple pie skillet (more similar to apple tarte tatin) for dessert were enjoyed by all.
Would definitely return, the whole Whitfords redevelopment has a nice feel to it.

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Couples night out. No kids. Good service, waiter very attentive and professional. Nice small setting. Book in advance. We had the kings feast - $84.00. Enough for 2 or three people. Great food. Been there twice now in a month. Good lager on tap, plus decent cocktails. Can’t fault it to be honest.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is quite small but has lovely furnishings and the chairs are super comfy. We had a table of 8 which took a while to be fed, but the food was delicious. We had a mixture of steaks, the pumpkin skewers, the cheese burger, sides of the mushrooms, red cabbage and veggie mash and nothing was left over, everything was so yummy. The thick cut chips are the best chips I have tasted in Perth. The staff are really friendly but for a small restaurant they were kept very busy, but were very polite and helpful.
Book in advance as walk ins were turned away, unless we went on a particularly busy night. Pricing was average $30, which was pretty good for the quality of food we got.

Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

The best waitress with great advice! However another waitress told my 15 year old off for leaving rubbish outside to which was not hers and was very rude about it and management were not much better. I would not recommend this as a family destination or as good value. Unfortunately our waitress was great but could see short comings of poor management.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

We were given a voucher worth $149 from Red Balloon as a gift and as the Hunter and Barrel was the only northern suburbs restaurant available we booked for two for a Sunday night. The restaurant appears to cater mostly to large groups of families and is very noisy with several young children wailing loudly at different tables on the night we were there. Tables are placed very close together so you cannot help overhearing any conversation next to you so this is not a place for private conversations.
When we sat down we were informed that we would be given a set menu with no choices of food to be made by us. We were allowed to choose either a red or white wine carafe but that was it. The highlight of the menu was the entree of chicken wings, which although not as tasty as Red Rooster chicken wings, were unfortunately the most edible dish we were served. After this dish it was downhill all the way.
The main course consisted of several lumps of meat and a piece of sausage thrown onto a single plate to share. It was only possible to tell what two of the meats were as the rest were so overcooked and highly seasoned the pork? beef? chicken? rissoles all tasted the same. The pork belly pieces on the plate were dry with the crackling denture breaking hard and the steak lumps were so dry they were difficult to swallow. When I asked the waitress if there was any sauce or gravy we could have to make the meat easier to swallow she said we were not allowed sauces on our set menu. Consequently we left most of the meat as it was inedible. The meat was served with a side dish of lettuce in which my husband found a single quarter of a tomato cut in half. He offered to share but he looked so hungry I let him have the whole quarter.
There was only one dessert, a chocolate macadamia biscuit with ice-cream. As I am not a great chocolate macadamia fan I asked the waitress if I could have a cup of coffee instead of dessert.
She said this was not possible so I requested to speak to the manager, hoping that he or she would be more reasonable. We waited for twenty minutes but no manager appeared. Instead the waitress returned eventually and reluctantly said that we could have coffee instead of dessert. I ordered a coffee and my husband said he would try the dessert but she said he could not have the dessert if I had coffee. He had to have coffee or nothing. By this time we were thoroughly tired of arguing and decided to skip dessert and have coffee at the coffee shop across the square.
On the way out we did see the manager briefly and pointed out the very poor service and quality of food we had been given. Subsequently we were contacted and offered another voucher to return to the restaurant but the food and service were so bad I would prefer to not eat there again.

3  Thank Excursion243492