“Flu bug or food poisoning ???”

Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rio San Juan
grande prairie
“Flu bug or food poisoning ???”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We upgraded to golden club, no difference besides the extra alcart food was just ok. Could not get a drink between 7am and 10am for all you early morning drinkers. The 24 booze is a crock. We had a group of 17 and 7 of them were down for 2 to 3 days. One couple went to the doc he told them to drink lots of beer it will help you burn it up. Not what you wanna hear what you already puking. The big pool by the lobby was dirty looking almost a green color so we stayed out of there. We used the golden club pool witch was great!! Our room was cleaned everyday no problems there. We request top floor with a king size we got bitten floor two single bed a 9 othere people got top floor and king beds witch they did not ask for. The stay have a really hard time understanding you friends of our asked for an alarm clock 5 times before they brought it. We did not get robes we asked a few times no luck so we have up. The med rest. Had great steak and the beach grill had the best chicken!!!! The sand fleas are out of control over half the resort looked like they had mumps they did not bug some of our group. Not trying to scare you away but just want you to know what to expect.

Oh to top it of we went to check out at 630am and the front desk did not know anything about us check out to find out we had a 8 hour delay because a plane broke down in Montreal so they took our plane to go get them and drop more people of in Halifax then to get us. It nice to be there longer but when most people are sick and they wanted us out of our rooms at 12 not good:(

For these reasons I would not go back.

If you have and questions feel free to ask I just got back this morning!!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank jagm1983

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
niagara falls
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My 2 sisters and I(all in our 40's ) played sunquest roulette and were given San Juan Bahia Principe what a crapshooot! I would not recimmend this hotel to anyone over the age of 22!! The hotel was at full capacity with spring breakers and while it looked and sounded like they had a great time anyone elsewith any vacation experience would not enjoy this hotel.....the grounds are lovely and the food not bad but thats it.We payed for a safe which was broken the front desk sent 6 men over two days to tell us it was broke!!!NO KIDDING we called you !! Finally on day 3 after lugging round all our passports and money we had had enough and asked for a upgrade for our inconvenience which we received but had no cot in our room as we were travelling as 3 we needed a cot were told by front desk by the time you return from dinner there will be one .......guess what it never came!! Had to go to reception after midnight in our pajamas and DEMAND one...20 mins later two very unhappy workers dumped one in our room. The matress was soaking wet but it was finally at our room.
I have over 50 bites on me from the beach area (I think) I sed bug spray but it didnt work. My sisters were never bit so maybe it was just me....The beach it long but the sand is sticky and brown..nicer beaches here in southern ontario...the buffet waitresses were our favorites always singing and joking the maid was great as well but thats about all, The front reception is a joke!!! For a hotel that caters to canadians they should have better english langage skills. I WILL NEVER GO BACK nor will I ever recomend this hotel to any one over the age of 22...... If you go lower your expectations and enjoy the sun case thats all your gonna like

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tamzahn
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Room! The little things that hurt! OK but needs some work! King bed had a big lump in the middle hmm pretty sure it was two doubles pulled together but afraid to know what was under there! Air worked but was directed directly at your head managed to leave with a head cold something I have not had in years! Fridge well it worked I guess never did get very cold! And as for refilling it well OK I guess though as a diabetic it would have been nice to have a sugar free drink in there! I did ask but to no avail. It was easier just to pay for them at the lobby store. Hair dryer well sort of when it wouldn t overheat and shut off. Iron nope, Umbrella nope! I alway kid about the picky people that complain about hard pillows. Well its not that the pillows were hard but these things were like filled with little hard balls or pieces of something I hope it was just hard pieces of foam..........

Pool
Yikes first time I have ever been to one of these places and never seen a vacuum hit it! Water clarity was poor hair balls and fllth all over the bottom. People lost things like sun glasses in the pool and you just couldn;t see them to find them! Needless to say the usual towel thing which is OK at some places as there is a big pool and lots of lounges. Not here the pool is pretty dated and small for the number of people! I did learn a new trick here though. The same people come out every morning and slap towels shirts books whatever down on lounges at the pool and the beach that way they can do the beach in the morning and the pool in the afternoon or they could do a day trip and decide where they want to go when they get back later. Needless to say you can;t get a chair at either unless your an early riser.

Beach!
Very large overall not bad for a brown sand! A huge beach but one you could not get a chair at unless your an early riser. Someone mentioned the poor beer at this hotel well not so at the Beach Bar at the far end Diamond area though as far as I know anyone could go there I always did! They don;t have a tap there so they are pooring from the bottle so the beer is not watered down at all.

Al La Cartes
Not very good!
The Italian: First Italian Al La Carte I have ever been to that only had Pizza and Pasta. The Pasta came out plate would burn your hand off the Pasta would cool your mouth hmm cold food wonder which microwave defrosted that Pasta. All Salt and no Flavour. Service sucked when you consider I had soup that I set aside and Pasta that I set aside and the waiter never asked why! Soup was cold pasta colder.

The Mediterranean: Don;t order the pork ribs unless you have some really sharp teeth even then do not order them unless you want to break them. The service excellent waiter he immediately saw that there was no way to eat these things and ask if I would like to try something else. Had the Grouper it was good and for the first time at this place it had a sauce that packed a little bit of heat instead of salt.

The Other One: Needless to say if I cannot remember the name it was not memorable!

The Buffet: Hope your not a coffee person usually managed to finish my breakfast long before you could find a coffee at this place. They did have a coffeee machine oops forgot it did not work properly. When you did manage to get a coffee it was not hot. The good news the place had a microwave which I used probably about 5 days of 7 to heat my coffee. The food the usualy luke warm stuff but remember the microwave! I love my fish and what they did have here was often cold or a fish steak tough to find a good filet here though 1 night they did some good salmon on the grill at the pata bar!

The Drinks! Well like I said if you like beer go to the beech bar there is nobody there and it is poored from the bottle. Huge area around the bare best beach area and fewest chairs so arrive by 7 am! First place I have ever been to and I have been to plenty that you could not get a cappacino at night anywhere! The wine well I have to admit it sucks at most of these places but first time I ever had my red wind poured out of everything from old pop bottles to plastic squirt bottles and it was bad. Hell I never liked the wine at any of the Bahai Principes but at least some of them serve it from an actual wine bottle.

One thing I can say about this place is they always had lots of bananas!

Last but not least journey to the hotel! Not bad but don;t believe it when they say they are 45 minutes from the airport remember they are Dominican All Inclusive minutes so figure hour and fifteen!

So what else was good! Hmm well not alot

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Iamthe1two
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have been all over Mexico, and this resort is the worst I have ever stayed at. I would not suggest it to anyone! The food is garbage, the Beer tastes like stale p1ss!

We got a great deal on the trip and it was still not worth it, based on conversations with other guests, I'd say 1 in 4 was sick due to food! I did not get sick personally but my friend who I was with did, we named it the Puerto Plata Splatter and it is endemic on the resort.

The beds are made out of granite, and it felt like I got punched in the Jaw every time I attempted to sleep! Our Room leaked every time it rained, the toilet leaked also... We literally had a river running thru the room every time it rained.

12 Thank Robotravels12
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Excellent value for the price. Food was great!!! Nothing wrong with the drinks.

Only negative was the distance from the airport (which made for alot of travelling on the excursions). Also, our area was somewhat noisy once the disco and casino closed (around 3 am).

We spent most of our time at the Diamond Club pool, which was very quiet in comparison to the larger pool.

We went on the Catamarand excursion which was really fun. We also did the Puerta Plata shopping tour, which was also good.

No one in our group of four got sick. There were no bugs in the room and we all stayed on the ground floor. I did get a couple of sand flea bites off the beach.

Was there from Feb. 24/12 to March 2/12

Room Tip: Bring an alarm clock just in case - not all rooms were supplied with one.
4 Thank Sandra M
oshawa
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here for 1 week Feb24,2012. this was our second time staying here, we stayed at this resort 6 years ago. Not the same as the first time. the resort needs regular maintenance, rooms are in poor shape. We had 5 rooms and all needed work. We had 1 room with a broken fridge and no phone or coffee maker. We asked for these items to be repaired for 4 days and then finally gave up. Front desk help werent very friendly and the maids seemed like they didnt want to be there. Water and coffee was never stocked daily and we had to ask for these items daily, even though we tipped the maids daily and also left some gifts. Food was good at the buffet, but the italian restaurant was something we could have avoided. 5 of our 10 people were sick the next day, as were many people who ate there. Not sure if it was from 1 restaurant or all in general. Bar staff were friendly as were the restaurant staff. I have stayed at many Bahia resorts including mexico, this is by far the worse of the chain that i have experienced. I will never return to this resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank buckwheat112
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

To everyone who wrote a positive review I have to ask, were you awake while staying at the 'Grand Bahia Principe' in San Juan. My husband and myself purchased the 'Golden Club' package, which from what we read meant extras, extras, extras, and a beach front room. We had to fight to get beach front and the 'Golden Club extras that we were promised. When we arrived there was no direction as to where the "Golden Club' check-in desk was. When we were given our room key it was for a room near the back of the resort FAR from the beach front we were promised. We were told there was a problem with our original room so we were moved. We later learnt the 'problem' with our room was that someone had asked for an upgrade, and so they gave our room away to them. We had to wait and switch rooms on our second day. When we were finally in the 'Golden Club' area, the room we were assigned was lacking EVERYTHING we were told we would get. 24hours room service.......when & how do we order. When ever we would call the front desk to ask for something, nobody spoke English and did not understand what we were saying. There were no robes or slippers in the room, no coffee maker, no alarm clock, no beach towels, and we still have no idea what they mean by an umbrella or VIP amenities.

I would not recommend this resort. Overall its a 3 star equivalent.

The food at this resort is simply TERRIBLE, no matter if we ate at the a la Carte restaurants or at the buffets. They never change the menus, so what you eat on the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and maybe eighth day, you had better GET USED TO THE CRAP THEY SERVE YOU. The 'Golden Club' bracelet is supposed to grant you access into the Italian restaurant for lunch service, we were refused and told its only for 'Diamond Club'. So in the end, the extra we paid for the 'Golden Club' gave us no more than what we could have paid for just a regular package.

The drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, were discussing. The beer tasted like urine, the wine was like they had mixed vodka and vinegar, all their mixed drinks were so sugary that you would be lucky to not get a headache from drinking them.

The staff at this resort were incredibly rude, and hardly smile ever. I watched one of the service staff clean out a drink machine with a dirty rag and then just poor back the same juice left overs she was cleaning out.

11 Thank s m
Occidental Caribe
Occidental Caribe
#63 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,633 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe San Juan? Share your experiences!