“Mid week late lunch.”

Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George
Price range: US$4 - US$6
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you’re up for a party, watching sport or meeting with friends and family for a bite to eat, the The Royal George in Shoreham is the place to relax and unwind. We’ve something for all the family – from our freshly carved, slow cooked roasts exactly how you like them, tasty pub food classics such as hand battered fish and steak and ale pie – all available on any day of the week. What’s more, every day we make our own fresh dough so you can tuck into freshly made stone baked pizzas and garlic bread. Or, we have a range of burgers and vegetarian dishes – and all main courses come with unlimited veg, salad and sides. With every plateful offering cracking value, it's no wonder locals in and around can't get enough.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Visited here for a late lunch mid week. First time I’ve been here since it had changed hands. It has been decorated very nicely however we found the food service wasn’t great. When you order your food you are given a buzzer to go and collect your food when it’s ready. However when we collect our food items were missing from our plates. You then get your chips from a help your self area but this was empty and by the time they had refilled the rest of our food was cold.

The actual food when we got it wasn’t too bad. But I won’t be rushing back. Price wise it was best reasonable if all the food was ready at the same time.

Date of visit: April 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2018

Helenbubloz, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around. If you are willing to give us another chance, please reach out to us at 01273-591904 to speak to our manager directly.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

I've been to the Royal George and a seen it go through a number of landlords. I haven't been for a while because I had it went downhill until my friend recommended that I go to the Stonehouse Carvery at the Royal George. To my surprise it was lovely to be recognised by a few staff and I have to say that the food and the service was wonderful . I know that Carveries do get slated but the food here is brilliant and you have the choice of pizza and burgers which are massive! Today I went with my mum and the staff are so accommodating that they gave us a table within five minutes . I was served so much meat on my plate it was unbelievable not to mention all the rest of vegetables . I was also told that we could use the salad bar to which was really good . The value of this place is brilliant too. In town you pay £14 easily for a good roast, here my total bill including desserts was £20 not including the drinks and even then it wasn't expensive . I'll be returning here again maybe have a midweek roast or I might even throw in a burger or a pizza because they do look phenomenal too. I can't believe this is little gem has been on my doorstep all this time

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Hi Sheneenm, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best wishes,
The Royal George, Shoreham

Reviewed March 9, 2018

I eat here too often, not often, but too often. In my defence it is relatively cheap, or I suppose relatively good value.

If I have run out of time to cook and need somewhere to feed the kids I choose this sometimes rather than a McDonalds.

This venue has the bar upstairs (ground level) and restaurant downstairs, so you order at the bar, which is generally full of folk there to watch Sunday TV football.

Downstairs is the bog standard carvery, the meat is normally a choice of beef, pork, turkey or gammon and is generally on the dry side. With a selection of overcooked/soggy veg.

Clientel range from the table for one pensioner ekeing out their pension to the 5 tables pushed together family booking with loads of kids running around. My last visit was notable for the woman sat at the table next to me who repeatedly licked her knife, and I mean really licked it...repeatedly...like a lollipop...maybe do it at home but do you really want total strangers watching you do it?

Other items have now been added to the carvery menu and the kids like the Ice cream factory option.

Overall, it's probably healthier than McDonalds but if I was a bit better off I would avoid it like the plague.

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit to The Royal George, Shoreham.

Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

I ordered the battered fish and onion rings. The fish was cooked fairly quickly although I had to go up to collect it and I was told the onion rings would be brought to the table. When I collected the fish I asked when the onion rings would be ready. The chef seemed rather confused and disappeared for about 5-10 minutes, finally reappearing with the onion rings and almost solid dip of ‘sour cream’, which tasted more like gone off cheese. In regard to the fish the menu it didnt even say what type of fish the battered fish fillet was. I assumed it was cod/haddock as this is the case in 99.9% of places selling fish and chips. With one bite i knew it wasn’t cod or haddock. It was mushy and had a strange, unpleasant taste and the batter tasted more like fried donuts! When I asked the waitress what type of fish it was she didn’t know and said she’d find out. She came back and said ‘it’s pollock... what even is pollock? it must be because it’s cheap’, not something you want to hear from a member of staff although I think she said it with pure intentions. Finally, 15-20 minutes after the others finished their food (I had only eaten two bites of the fish) we decided to order dessert. You would’ve thought when they brought out the desserts the waitress would’ve cleared our plates but no! We had to balance them near the edge of the table since there was 5 main plates plus side plates, cutlery etc. Safe to say I will not be going there again. It wasn’t even busy!

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2018

Hi Kirsty B, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit. Our manager would really like to speak with you more regarding this matter. Please reach out to us at 01273-591904. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

Good food good service would go again for sure
Would book though as does get busy
Awesome puddings and size too

Date of visit: February 2018
General Manager A, Manager at Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery Royal George, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Shauny579, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at The Royal George, Shoreham! Thanks again for taking the time to leave us this information about your recent visit. Take care!