Balai Resort Anilao
US$59
US$94
US$63
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Last weekend, my sister and together with some firends had our overnight summer escapade at Balai Laiya Resort in San Juan Batangas. Though I have previously visited and stayed in couple of resorts along the shorelines of Laiya too, it was my first time in Balai. Alright, below are the things I noticed from beginning until the end of our trip.

1. Reservation - Never in my entire inquiry process had I have a big problem dealing with their resort reservation agents. They are consistent on the booking information and very much accommodating. You can ask them anything you want - from the size of the rooms, the look / ambiance of the resort, food menu they are going serve on each meals, house rules, flexibility of the inclusive packages, payment procedures - I must say they are very accurate and true. If you are a sigurista traveler just like me - then having an uber honest agent is like heaven.

2. Travel - Since we took the courage of commuting all the way to Laiya, one thing that amazes me is that the resort can be easily found. At first I have this gutty feeling that we'll get lost because along the road I hardly able to find advertisement boards and "this way" signs of Balai, but by asking on most all-so-knowing jeepney drivers on bound to Laiya, we were able to make it just 3 hrs of travel time. I think the resort's popularity in the whole Laiya town wont make you lost along the way - so, who needs map anyway?

3. Location and Ambiance - The entire resort is situated right along the shorelines of Laiya. You can see the clear waters approximately 15 to 25 ft away from the main resort hall. The resort has a perfect view of the whole stretch of Laiya especially when you stand in the sun deck area, what's sad though is you cannot actually see the sun sets nor rise. Also the resort is filled with tall sampaloc trees and flowers which I think adds the breezy, so natural and earthly feeling when you walk along the area. Resort's over-all design is rustic and light, they use more on natural materials such as woods, bamboos, nipa and stones.

4. Rooms and Facilities - Since the resort was fully booked as early as 5 days before the day we stayed, I only got the seaside room with maximum capacity of 3 person. At first I was reluctant to set the deal but because i feel the honesty of their reservation agent, I said yes to it. But to my surprise the room turned out just fine and what i expected. It was cozy, decent, clean, not smelly and has a nice private bathroom toilet inside. Bedsheets were smelly good, same with the towels and yes the room has a small veranda overlooking to the shoreline.

5. Food - This is the most distinct reason why I enjoyed my stay at Balai. Really, i cant believe that the food was so delicious! I always have this notion that when you dine in a buffet style places taken in the country side/provinces of Luzon - expect that they will serve the classic provincial menu, which I find it very typical, so expected and a bit mediocre styled way of cooking. But in Balai - provincial menus turned into a new level of elegance and high distinction. Where can you find a very chessy tomatao-based baked macaroni pasta with shredded eggplant inside - only in Balai. One thing as well, they serve in great quantities - super buffet!

6. Service - The whole staff of Balai is just super perfect. From the front desk (Elma), kitchen helper (Susan), the super tight mamang security guard up to the dining hall caretaker (Greg) - everyone was at their best in terms of respect, kindness and courtesy.

7. Value for Money - though standard rate may hit as high as 2,050 php per person on an overnight accommodation with 4 buffet packaged meal - it is still recommendable and so worth it. Like I already enumerated above, Balai Laiya offers real quality to their customers - and they make sure that your stay in the resort, will be the best ever.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank akosihetty
Reviewed 29 April 2009

rustic but clean accommodations, not crowded, quiet, very friendly and accomodating staff, clean beach, heavenly buffet :)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank jeyni13
Reviewed 22 December 2008

We have just returned from Balai Resort and the experience was great.

We had to commute, which was easy and the staff even called us to confirm directions already given.

The rate already included the meals and they were yummy. They served a starter, three entrees and a desert. Water, instant coffee, instant chocolate was available 24 hours in the main dining area.

The verandah has a great view of the ocean. The rooms were airy, doors opened to the trees and the ocean. The staff assisted us in a funny incident - a visit from a gecko.

They rented equipment and they would direct you to the dive / snorkel sites.

I found nemo and I shall return to say hello again!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank gooneybud
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Quite farther than the other resorts in the area but it's location turned out to be an advantage as it is quite secluded. It has a beachfront which is not full of motorized boats used by divers as a take-off station. Adjacent to a protected marine area which makes it ideal for snorkelling. Great place, great food, great staff, great dive instructor, great price.

9  Thank FilipinoMaleTraveler
Reviewed 1 March 2008

The motivation to go there was for diving.

But also we found a very nice, cozy and lovely place. It has a very personal touch with friendly and motivated staff.

The food, breakfast, lunch and dinner were always plenty and very tasty local cuisine.

The rooms are simple and clean. the bed is comfortabe, the air conditioning quiet, the bathroom also clean with shower and toilet. When opening the two winged door, you can roll down venitian blinds which give a romantic asian touch.

The price was really good, considering that even the meals were included. Outstanding value!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends