All reviews walking holiday great staff spacious balcony well run hotel meals village pyrenees dinner smile shop
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Our room was very clean and comfortable, exactly as we expected from what we had read. Nothing fancy but just what we wanted as we were out all day walking and enjoying the fabulous surroundings.
Food was very variable depending on your choice. We found the lamb, goats cheese, steak and trout excellent, the chicken very dry and the sole undercooked. The chocolate desserts were all good and 'whisky, the cake' (sic) had so much whisky poured over it one of our party ordered it 2 nights running. If you order ice cream you get a Cornetto!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PAHMDH
hotellacoma, Director de Recepción at Hotel La Coma, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Dear PAHMDH

First of all thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to share your experience with other users on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to know that your overall stay was nice. We regret that the chicken you ate was a little dry, being done on the grill is not as tender as in the oven.

Thanking you once again for their valuable contribution, we look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

There are a lot of very nice things to say about this hotel and on the whole we had a pleasant stay, but there are a number of problems that I had not expected based on their website (and the reviews here). By far the hotel's greatest strength is its staff who were kind, able and eager to help at all times. The first impact is extremely positive and it looks like a wonderful property. Unfortunately, once you get past the reception, lounge and restaurant things take a rapid turn for the worse. Access to the rooms is solely via a set of narrow stairs. It was not a big problem for us, especially because the staff helped with our bags, but there were a number of people with baby strollers who had serious problems. When we got to our room it stank of stale cigarette smoke despite the hotel being a non-smoking building. Smoking manners in this part of the world are a bit retrograde, and I am used to a certain lingering stale smoke smell but this was truly unbearable. The manager offered to change our room without our even having to ask, but you would think they would check the rooms before giving them to guests. The room itself was less comfortable than I had expected.
The beds were very short. I am quite tall at 6'5", but my feet stuck out almost to where my knees could bend down over the end. The double bed was not a real double but two singles pushed together so lying diagonal was not an option either.
There was no place to put our bags except the floor and there was barely any available floor space. This is a destination for skiing and mountain sports, so you would expect people to have quite a lot of things to lay out. There was a very nice and spacious balcony but I did not want to leave my clothes outside. Ours was a triple so perhaps in the doubles this is less of a problem.
The bathroom was quite comfortable though the tub was quite small. There were problems with the water temperature which would remain freezing for 5 minutes before the heat kicked in, and then was exceedingly hot. The bidet's cold water was broken so water only came out scalding.
Dinner was very good and the prices were fair for what you got. The buffet breakfast was decent but you must order coffee (or any hot drinks) and it can take up to 10 minutes for it to arrive.
By far the greatest disappointment was the pool/wellness center. I recently underwent surgery on my knee and must do physical therapy exercises everyday. Having looked at the internet site I thought I could do them at the hotel's pool and fitness center and reserved a day at 10€. I was unable to do any of them. While the other shortcomings of the hotel were borderline, this was shameful. The pool is perhaps 9 m by 18 m and 1m60 deep. It is impossible to do any kind of exercise in it. The gym is the worst I have every seen. There are a few dumbells, a cheap cyclette and a cheaper elliptical machine stuffed into a long narrow hallway. There is no internal passage from the hotel to the pool, so you have to walk outside and around the building after swimming which nullifies any sense of well being you might have gained. Even if there was no charge I would find this "perk" of the hotel deceiving but charging 10€ is nearly criminal.
We chose to pay substantially more for La Coma instead of the other hotels in Setcases because we wanted to feel a bit of luxury. La Coma is a friendly 3 star hotel but there is no luxury there. In retrospect it would have been better to pay less and stay in one of the other less expensive hotels in Setcases or stay in a 4 star hotel in Camprodon (it's about 15 minutes farther from Vallter 2000).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cataloamericano
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was looking forward for this weekend in Setcases. I booked a superior room and I expected a wonderful hotel to spend the weekend with my wife. I have to admit I relied too much on the website, so the result was quite disappointing. Keep this in mind if you book a room there: nothing to do with website.
Food for dinner was quite ordinary, not the breakast though: breakfast buffet was absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for four days in December at La Coma to ski at nearby Vallter 2000. My daughter is a student in Barcelona so we wanted to check out the Pyrennes. The hotel is by no means extravagant but nevertheless comfortable. The food, on the other hand, is fabulous Catalan fare. The skiing turned out to be very icy so it is hard to judge the small ski resort. My kids enjoyed their lessons despite the conditions. The most interesting part of the stay was exploring the ancient village of Setcases which dates back to the 10th century. After dinner we would walk into town stopping at a centuries old bar and restaurant with stone walls 2 feet thick. There we'd toast our excellent adventure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've stayed at La Coma twice in recent years, whilst on hiking holidays. The location is great, surrounded by beautiful hill country and only a short drive from the mountains at Valter ski resort. The family owners and their long serving staff are very friendly and helpful, always ready to assist with local transport arrangements, making phone calls etc. The rooms are well appointed and spotlessly clean. The breakfasts are more than adequate with colds meats, cheeses and various fresh breads. Dinner is a feast with many regional specialities, very generous portions and good service. Setcases was originally a farming community but is now largely a holiday village. Local architecture and character have been skillfully conserved. It is busy during the summer holidays and winter ski season, otherwise rather quiet

Room Tip: Ask for a room on front of building, they have balconies and best views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends