“Well worth a Visit”

Seagars Cooking School and Cafe
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Seagars is owned by New Zealand Cook Book author Jo Seagar. The business includes the Seagars Cafe, Cook School, Kitchen Store and B&B Accommodation.
Reviewed August 12, 2016

The day I went I was lucky Jo was on site , As a cook myself I was totally in Awe of her, very down to earth and extremely accomodating, I was taken here for my birthday n Good Honest Kiwi Cuisine at its BEST
Food Amazing , Jo was AMAZING

Reviewed June 20, 2015

O.M.G.,What's happened here since our last visit? No greeting or eye contact on our arrival .Left standing at the desk. At 2pm on a Sunday, no trim milk available, Coffee cold requiring return to kitchen Twice!, Hardly any food available to choose from. Most of all ,no warmth from staff whatsoever. We will not be back

4  Thank haricari196
Reviewed June 10, 2015

One should be able to expect great things from a restaurant named after one of NZ's more famous cooks, but don't raise your expectations here. The menu has not changed since it first opened, the fat fryer is a little too used in the menu, and the service can be great, or shockingingly bad. The coffee, don't even mention it - I've even seen them preload the heads (which of course means the results were burnt).
Of course, the fudge is amazing, and the kids will love the way the hot chocolates are presented, and the fries are usually ok, so if you've passing through for a snack, that's great. Just don't expect anything more that a rural cafe, not running on all cylinders, with little sense of its direction. Given the chance to do wonderful paddock to plate stories from its location, it is a real shame.

5  Thank Lindsey M
Reviewed May 30, 2015 via mobile

I have always loved our drive to Oxford and breakfast at Seagars! The haymaker pie always a favourite! This time we could see that things had changed ! All the staff are young which is fine as they were cheerful but I missed the staff that seemed to have been there forever! The breakfast at $23 was just uninspiring! The sausages were disgusting and had veins in them but not only that they were seriously over cooked and dry! The tomato was 3/4 of a tomato and not cooked through! The bacon was nice and the hash brown good! But it has lost the atmosphere and we will not be back!

1  Thank lms1210
Reviewed May 17, 2015

Took my mother there for lunch after a country outing.

Mother had a lentil or bean and tomato based soup which she declared very tasty and I had a feta salad which was nice but not especially tasty.

We finished off with a coffee and a shared piece of cake - hummingbird I think. The cake was delish - the highlight for me!

I'd expected great things. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Service was OK, but a little disjointed. We weren't sure what to do when we walked in and the staff seemed a bit lacking in confidence.

I wouldn't go to Oxford to eat there, but it is a pleasant enough spot for lunch if you;re passing through.