“Typical Pub”

Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2017

After a really bad experiece in a Pub in Paul my host suggested to go to this one. HERE I was welcomed, HERE the guy behind the counter was very friendly. The food was good, the atmosphere relaxed. What more can you want?

Reviewed September 16, 2017

The Red Lion Pub is in a lovely location overlooking the Newlyn harbour (I suggest walking there as there is not much parking.) The staff are friendly and we had very nice meals there. As noted in other reviews, the Crab Soup is fabulous, a real signature dish. Service can be a little slow if they are busy so it is worth checking about this. We would return to eat here again if in Newlyn or nearby.

Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I are staying in a lovely cottage in Newlyn, so we decided to try out the nearby pub for dinner. As we walked in the stench of stale urine hit me, it was awful. My husband ordered us a drink from the bar (barmaid twirling her hair, but no smile) and brought over a menu but I could not eat there. We had to sit in the garden to get away from the smell. The kitchen was right next to the toilets and the door to the kitchen was open, which put me off even further. There were steps going up to the top of the garden which weren't lit in the dark at all. It was really dark by the time we finished our drinks and going back down the uneven steps was dangerous. The only saving grace of this pub was the lovely lady who I believe did the cooking. We had a nice chat with her before we left and I felt awful not eating there after we had asked for the menu, but the smell and the general vibe was really unpleasant. I'm surprised at how highly this pub was rated on Trip Advisor, it really is not good. I would definitely not recommend it.

5  Thank hollyday34
Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Called here by chance and was not disappointed. Friendly atmosphere, pleasant staff and the food was fabulous.
Have eaten there a couple of times since and the food was great each time.
Portion sizes are very generous and very fresh. And if you have room left make sure you get yourself a dessert, which are amazing.

Reviewed August 20, 2017

Once you've tried the crab soup, you'll be back again for more! Every time I visit Newlyn I have to come here for the Crab Soup - it's so delicious.