“Accommodation very good value, staff and food first class.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms
Ranked #1 of 4 Axbridge B&B and Inns
Essex
“Accommodation very good value, staff and food first class.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We only stayed one night but would like to return. Our room(number1) overlooked the square and although not massive ticked all the boxes: usual tray of tea/coffee etc( though no de-caff of either- a bit surprising nowadays) ,extremely comfortable bed with high quality linen, spotless(if rather small) bathroom with reasonably efficient shower,nice toiletries and wonderfully large and soft towels. Although we were quite happy with just a shower,it might be an idea to double check as may people like a long soak in a bath after a day of walking.
Delightful young staff, all of whom got the balance of attentive service/recognising when you just want to be left alone exactly right.
We had eaten quite a large lunch so selected a sharing mix of starters and a salad for dinner in the restaurant. Very impressed with the imaginative food which was delicious,beautifully presented and unusual without being in the snail porridge category.
Would definitely like to sample a more substantial meal and imagine the early bird menu would be fantastic value(though think it is only on offer until7pm).Breakfast was cooked to order and It was good to see that the tomatoes and mushrooms were fresh rather than the tinned varieties so often served these days. Best scrambled eggs I have had for a very long time-highly recommended!
Overall, a super stay and fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square might be noisy,but this really is a sleepy village!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OakHouseAx, Manager at The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Tuds,

Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely thorough review!

We currently do not offer decaffeinated tea or coffee, but thank you for the suggestion as I will certainly add these items to the rooms!

I'm pleased you liked the new bathroom and shower. Because we occupy such an old building some bathrooms only have showers, but we will always accommodate requests for baths to ensure guests are allocated appropriate rooms.

I will pass your comments onto my team about their service, they will be very proud of your comments on this as this is something we all pride ourselves on.

Both of our chefs will be pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening meal. The early bird menu is great value; we run this from Sunday to Thursday 6-7pm.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Hannah Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
CHESHIRE, ENGLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Oakhouse. we were greeted by the frienddly reception staff, we did arrive early and this did not cause any problems. we had a room over looking the square which was lovely. the room was spacious and very clean, the towels were very fluffy.

the breakfast was very tasty and served quickly.

we will return to the hotel when staying in the area and would recommend the hotel to everyone.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OakHouseAx, Manager at The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review MCFCMK,

I'm so happy you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here and were accommodated despite arriving early. We always ensure guests relax in our lounge if they do arrive early, but I'm glad that in your case your room was ready.

It's wonderful to read you liked your room, our large fluffy towels and the delicious breakfast we serve.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to your return visit.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

More a B&B than a hotel, the Oakhouse is nevertheless a good choice if you want to stay in this charming little village. Service is warm and friendly and room (Superior room looking over the square) was spacious and neutrally decorated. Did not eat at the hotel as even on a Friday night the dining room was almost empty and seemed expensive. Shame that the hotel does not offer any incentive to encourage guests to use their own restaurant. Chose the pub opposite that was welcoming and pretty decent... a hearty Duck Cassoulet etc.

One Gripe: music from the ground floor travels very effectively to rooms on the first floor (but level was lowered upon request).

One Tip:the Farmers' Market visits one Saturday a month and adds greatly to the atmosphere of the village.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the square for a perfect view
Dear CorinthianLondon,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm pleased to hear you liked your room and received a warm service from my team, as we pride ourselves on friendly, yet professional service here at the Oak House.

It's a shame you saw our restaurant very early in the evening when we first opened, as most of our customers tend to eat later in the evening.

I apologise for the noise you experienced, being a grade II listed building, the hotel does feature original wood floor boards, however we do have very thick carpeting and sound proof insulation to compensate.

We really are lucky to have the farmers market right outside our doors on the first Saturday of each month as it certainly does add something to our Town.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the Oakhouse.
We had a great room overlooking the village square.
Despite this being a historic building, the room was large, modern and very comfortable.
The dinner menu was extensive and tasty and the full breakfast was yummy.
I drunk the Axbridge Ale which was well kept and very moreish!
The staff were a delight and quite obviously enjoyed their jobs and it showed.
The room was hot but we opened the windows and turned down the radiator, problem sorted.
The church bells next door were hardly noticeable at all, I certainly didn't here them in the night.
Many thanks for onward posting my ipad charger which I left behind!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank wadestuff
Dear wadestuff,

Thank you ever so much for your kind comments!

It's always wonderful to hear when people enjoy their stay with us. I'm glad you got a room with such a lovely view and didn't get disturbed at all by the church bells.

I'm pleased you received your iPad charger and enjoyed all the food you had here, as well as the exclusive ale we serve (I do hope it wasn't too moreish!)

I'll pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and I'm sure they appreciate that you picked up on the fact that about much they enjoy their jobs! I hope you enjoy the rest of your UK tour.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

2 nights were booked. First impressions of hanging baskets on the front which were filled with artificial plants followed on to the room which was fine but far too hot during the night and the bed which was comfortable had a plastic backed mattress protector making it worse. The television had only one working channel. There were 2 candle bulbs not working but these were replaced instantly by a lovely female receptionist. The tourist brochures on display were grossly out of date with some dated 2006. The evening meal was nice but the main course was served luke warm and had to be returned. Breakfast was available at extra cost and portion size satisfactory. This hotel is set in a lovely location and within easy reach of various attractions but unfortunately we will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear 303littlehelper,

Firstly thank you for your comments; we greatly value feedback.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, we sure are lucky to be close to so many attractions.

I am naturally concerned to read of your disappointment with a few small issues.It’s a shame you didn’t mention the temperature of your room when you checked in, as we have manual controls on all the radiators in the rooms and we could have shown you where these are.

I can only apologise for the light bulbs, these should have been checked prior to your arrival, although I’m glad they were quickly changed for you. Regarding the television, a member of staff fixed the problem promptly; but I’m glad it was working for the rest of your stay.

I’m happy that you enjoyed your evening meal but apologise for the temperature not being to your liking. I believe you had the duck from the menu, which isn’t actually served hot as it is cooked rare, and cooking it until hot would over cook it.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Oak House in person and to restore your faith in us.

England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was the first time I have stayed at this hotel and what a great stay it was. The room was spacious and airy - just perfect for a good night’s rest. Dinner was superb; the restaurant is certainly a fine dining experience at its best. You can just walk across the square to a good old English Inn if it's pub grub you fancy for a change. Either way you have the best of both worlds with this hotel. I will certainly be back again.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank SpookyTree
Thank you, SpookyTree, for your lovely review.

I'm pleased you had a great stay with us and enjoyed a good night's rest!

We are lucky to have such a talented chef here, and I am delighted you had the chance to try some of his food. Axbridge is a great place to stay in that we have one restaurant and two pubs to choose from!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have stayed at this hotel, twice in the last year. The staff are excellent . The rooms are very comfortable and loved the new bathroom. We have also used the Restaurant , the food is out of this world (many thanks). Nothing is too much trouble , a superb hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BlackBess
OakHouseAx, Manager at The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear BlackBess,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad you got to stay in one of the bedrooms with a newly refurbished bathroom, it wont be too long until they're all finished!

I'm also happy to read that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant, I will pass your kind comments onto Newstead, our head chef and his team.

I hope we can welcome you back again when you are next in the area.

Hannah Brown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axbridge
5.0 km away
1.1 km away
Old Manor House B&B
Old Manor House B&B
#1 of 1 in Cross

Been to The Oak House Restaurant with Rooms? Share your experiences!