Giant's Foot Surf
Gigante Bay(Playa Gigante)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Brio(Playa Gigante)
Amarillo Surf Camp(Playa Gigante)
Cabanas de Gigante(Playa Gigante)
Gigante Place(Playa Gigante)
Casa La Joya(Playa Gigante)
All reviewsspent a weeknew ownersworld classcreature comfortsplenty of varietyoffshore windshot waterlocal staffgreat tripcentral americacampbeginnerskylefunacbeerssurf
Reviewed December 2, 2016

Giant's Foot Surf Camp was the best surf trip I've ever been on. You can't beat 3 boat rides a day and the staff was amazing. I really got to know Justin, Milano, and Kyle during my stay and they were experts that could tweak your surf game to the next level. I got lucky with 2-3 big swells. Got some world class Colorados and other spots. I would go again in a heart beat.

-Carter

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carter K
Bryce K, Manager at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2016

Hey Carter,
Thank you so much for this great review, you were such a pleasure to have here. Please feel free to make this your home away from home! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2016

I went back to Giant's Foot for 2nd year in a row. 1rst year was top rate (see Best Surf Trip Ever from 2015 on Tripadvisor) and had expectations for another fantastic trip. I was not disappointed.
I was picked up promptly at the airport and had a pleasant trip to Giant's Foot which took about 2 hours. Check in went great and I was in my room quickly.
I stayed for 10 days this year and was taken to multiple surf breaks during the trip such as Madeiras, Amarillo, Colorado's, Panga Drops, and Lances Left plus a secret spot. The surf guides and boat driver were fun and enthusiastic. The food was fantastic and the meal portions were more than ample, but you could get more if you wanted. Conrad is now the manger instead of the head surf guide and he went spear fishing so we ate fresh fish 2 nights of the trip from his catches. The place was clean and well kept.
Check out other surf tours/camps and you will not find a more economical price for an all inclusive trip or better weather. I looked at other potential places in Puerto Rico, Southern Mexico, San Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Hawaii, Baja Mexico, Australia, France, Portugal, California USA, Tahiti, and various other islands around the world. The airfare to many of the places I looked was not cost effective but it was inexpensive to fly to Managua Nicaragua.
Giants Foot only has at most 6 rooms (usually 3 or 4) for guests so the experience is casual with a few guests at a time to share your experience. The beginers usually but not always travel to their surf destination by truck.
So if you want a casual, great food, good company, fantastic wave variety, surf until you drop trips up to 3 a day, with food, beer, sodas and rum included experience, then Giants Foot Surf Tours is the best choice.
P.S. Monday Night is Burger Night (awesome 1/2 pound burger choices and vege burgur if you prefer)! It's a big deal in El Gigante and guests from other resorts along with some of the locals attend for a really fun time.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same. Basic but clean.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed May 3, 2016

I was at Giant's Foot for ~7 days and had a great time throughout my time there. Great waves, people, food, and overall experience. Jared, Kevin, Paul, and Carter made sure I got on the right waves for my skill level and were quick to offer much needed pointers. I also went spearfishing with Conrad and Armando which was intense, but fun. Staying in Gigante made for an authentic Nicaraguan experience.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Sam F
Reviewed September 7, 2015

What can I say, friendly, flexible, clean, tidy, comfortable, relaxing and accommodating.

Was picked up at the airport as expected by a taxi who does pickups for the camp all the time so is reliable and safe. It's 2 hour journey from Managua Airport, first part of the journey in main roads but the last bit as you get towards Gigante is dirt road and very rural.

At the camp everyone was so friendly, rooms as basic but clean, tidy and comfortable. Air-conditioning in the rooms is available (no extra cost). Meals were all home cooked and awesome, cereal/coffee early morning with hot breakfast later, lunch and dinner. Monday sees the camp open to everyone in the village for Burger Night and is a good social event. Local beers were fine and the fridge was kept fully stocked. Camp is located on Gigante beach (no real surf here) but really nice view and awesome sunset. You can arrange massage easily at any time and there are several Yoga slots found in Aqua resort about 20 min walk away (the yoga platform has amazing views of the bay around it).. The camp itself is fairly small, it has 6 rooms and average occupancy is 4-6 people so if you looking for quiet and relaxing its definitely the place to be! There was a mix of lads and lasses during my stay which made it social-able between surf sessions - either downtime on the hammocks with a books, walk around the village or beaches. There chances to go spear fishing, snorkelling or fishing too; just ask basically!.

Surfing was awesome, with surf found everyday both for beginners and experienced alike. Experienced usually went off on the boat whilst beginners went to a great beach by truck about 10 mins away. Surf guides were very accommodating, always advised when best time to go and ensure you were awake if early morning or rounded you up when time. Usually a morning and afternoon surf for about 2-3 hours each day although it was completely up to you, some days we had 3 surfs.

All in all it was a relaxing and fantastic experience and the surf was awesome; i was on the beginners package generally surfing at Playa Amarillo, surf was about 2-3ft most days and great to learn on - some lads on the experienced went mainly to a break called Colorados which was a solid 6-8ft+ fast barrelling wave almost everyday. There was also a body-boarder in the experienced crew which was good to see.

Being from the UK I was after Sun holiday but with a theme of learning the surf; Giants Foot was all I wanted, Sun, warm water, nice people, nice food, comfortable and quiet surf breaks in terms of number of people in the water.

I had a fantastic time and work defo recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed May 10, 2015

I went to Giant's Foot Surf April 15th through April 25th 2015. The experience was everything that was advertised on the web site. The rooms were not large but clean as adverstised. The bed was a single and very confortable including the pillows. The water was not heated but warmed by the sun so didn't notice it wasn't heated. The sodas, beer, rum are part of the package. If you would like to purchase imported beers, they are available at $3 apiece. There are 3 meals a day cooked by a local staff from scratch and every meal was very tasty. In fact Giant's Foot Surf took us out to eat 1 night during my stay and I wished we had eaten at Giant's Foot Surf because the food was better than the restaurant. The town is not large so don't expect to shop until you drop because there are few stores. The town is mainly made up of fishermen, hostels, hotels, rental facilities, and a few stores. Bryce Kuklok was a great host/owner. He interacts to his guests every day because he lives at the facility and eats meals there as well. He was even available in the evenings to play games which was a lot of fun. Bryce was accomadating to all my needs and fulfilled any hotel requests I had right away. The internet in Nicaragua is not the greatest but I was able to Skype with my wife every day during my stay. The staff provided anything I asked. Guests went surfing, fishing, and snorkelling because the staff was always asking what we would like to do. The staff would have taken us surfing 3 times a day if we had wanted. However, while I was at the hotel, no one wanted to go surfing more than 2 times a day. We took the boat out for dawn patrol (getting up at 4:30 AM and leaving by 5 to 5:30 AM) because the best breaks on the best tide would have a crowd beginning about 7 AM. However, Nicaragua crowded is only about 30 to 40 people so it still was relatively uncrowded at the most crowded times. The staff at Giants Foot Surf except for the cooks are all surfers and dedicated to giving you the best surf experience of your life including the marketing person. I have to thank Bryce, Conrad, Conner (Aka..Mahalo), Armondo, Sammy, Alex, and the cooking and cleaning staff (sorry I can't remember everyone's names) for a lifetime memory that I will never forget. If you want to go somewhere where you can surf as much as you want or relax as much as you want, please consider Giant's Foot Surf for your vacation. I came home more relaxed than I have ever been on a vacation which includes the previous 2 years at surf facilities in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 are the quietest rooms of the 6 rooms available.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo